Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Proofing or Clearing a Pistol (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/proofing-clearing-pistol-49614/)

kilogulf59 10-10-2011 07:51 PM

Proofing or Clearing a Pistol

This is a good video tutorial of the subject for any shooter, woman or man. There are a few items I would like to comment on though the instructions, as is, are excellent.

1) In the video, note how the gentleman clears the automatic. I do it a bit differently and I believe it is a smidgen safer as I don't like my hand that close to the muzzle. As in the video and after removing the magazine, with the pistol pointed in an absolutely safe direction, grasp the slide via the slingshot method and work the action several times. Then lock the slide back and visually and physically check the internals for a round. Proceed as per the video.

2) If you are handing a firearm, of any type, to someone, proof the weapon yourself, lock the action open, then surrender the piece with the muzzle facing downward and/or in a safe or neutral direction. My kids were taught this when they were extremely young and it has stuck with them to this day. They are consistently the safest gun handlers I have ever been around I am proud to say.

Aside from these comments follow the video...

http://youtu.be/f9y_FaItcTg

EagleSix 10-10-2011 08:38 PM

In the video this instructor is "checking for clear", or "showing clear". I suppose this is nitpicking, but if you are going to produce a video on "clearing" a gun, it would probably work better for the student, if he actually had ammo in the gun to clear, otherwise he is not clearing the gun but checking to make sure it is clear.

We prefer our students rack the slide using their secondary hand thumb and palm (if they have use of that arm/hand), over the slide, rather than the weaker method of the "slingshot", but either gets the job done. One rack of the slide and the slide stop should be engaged, no need to rack more than once. Then the visual and physical check of the chamber takes place, and I like to follow that with looking down the grip to assure the magazine is clear.

I do not recommend students build a habit of counting the rounds ejected from their double action or break top revolvers, rather visually and physically check the chambers. The single action, may be an exception to counting. I do recommend students count chambers for loading and unloading, and if the gun likes to have it's cylinder removed, this is a sure method of clearing and doesn't take but a few more seconds than counting. Some SA are of course finicky about having their cylinder removed and then the counting method should be used.

danf_fl 10-10-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleSix (Post 598341)
We prefer our students rack the slide using their secondary hand thumb and palm (if they have use of that arm/hand), over the slide, rather than the weaker method of the "slingshot", but either gets the job done. .

Using that method has caused DQ's in IPSC and USPSA competitions when the shooter has the barrel sweeping the non-dominant arm or Range Officer. Though effective, your method must stress body sweeping.

Also, even when it is stressed "Keep the finger off the trigger unless on target.", I've seen where one had a "brain fart", and actually pulled the trigger while trying to clear the weapon as you teach. That shooter learned a painful lesson.

EagleSix 10-10-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 598399)
Using that method has caused DQ's in IPSC and USPSA competitions when the shooter has the barrel sweeping the non-dominant arm or Range Officer. Though effective, your method must stress body sweeping.

Also, even when it is stressed "Keep the finger off the trigger unless on target.", I've seen where one had a "brain fart", and actually pulled the trigger while trying to clear the weapon as you teach. That shooter learned a painful lesson.

Thanks Dan for your comments,

If a shooter has a brain fart as you put it and pulls the trigger, there is no reason to believe they will keep the muzzle in a safe direction regardless of which method they use. I get your point about body sweeping, we actually stress, NOT to body sweep. Some of the methods thought up to make things safer in the long run teach a generation of students, not to think. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against you using whatever method you feel safe and confident in.....if you like it and it works for you.....I like you doing it.

TacTrain is a fighting school....we do not teach for IPSC, IDPA or USPSA. From the few shoots I have observed and/or taken part in, only about 25, I understand why they preach and safe guard against those, who were never trained to begin with, yet are permitted to compete. And.....it's not just me who teaches this method, but just about every quality fighting school in the US.

There is no doubt there have been negligent discharges using any number of slide racking methods, you can quote yours, and after almost 60 years, I certainly could quote mine. In our experience, those using the slingshot method are in less control of their handgun, find it more difficult to lock the slide, more often than not, have their visual awareness, away from the threat, have a more difficult time manipulating while on the move, and learn at a slower pace.

Attention to gun handling safety is our number 1 focus while training students how to fight. There are good methods and better methods. For each techniques we teach, there is a correct way and a not so correct way.......we like the correct way, so do our students. There is however a difference in the approach, skills, attitude, and techniques between casual shooting, competition (IDPA, USPSA, IPSC, CAS, etc.), and fight training. Games prepare you to win on a 1-way range......fight training prepares you to win on the 2-way range......there are some comparisons, but many important differences.

If a person wants to shoot games, I think that is great and hope they enjoy their choice. If a person wants fight training, they need to get serious, leave the games behind and start their defensive training. Either or, I'm good with it, there is lots of room for everyone. If the person is a safe gun handler, I'll shoot with them regardless of how they rack their slide.

kilogulf59 10-11-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilogulf59 (Post 598300)
1) In the video, note how the gentleman clears the automatic. I do it a bit differently and I believe it is a smidgen safer as I don't like my hand that close to the muzzle. As in the video and after removing the magazine, with the pistol pointed in an absolutely safe direction, grasp the slide via the slingshot method and work the action several times. Then lock the slide back and visually and physically check the internals for a round. Proceed as per the video.

2) If you are handing a firearm, of any type, to someone, proof the weapon yourself, lock the action open, then surrender the piece with the muzzle facing downward and/or in a safe or neutral direction. My kids were taught this when they were extremely young and it has stuck with them to this day. They are consistently the safest gun handlers I have ever been around I am proud to say.

It's simple, safe, and it works...and, of course, my way is better than your way :D

rigjumpr 10-11-2011 01:44 PM

thats funny I think MY was is better than yours!:rolleyes:

jonathan88 10-14-2011 11:00 AM

re

Be careful when you clear your pistol. It is necessary.