Prevention is better than Cure - Very Informational!!!
Please pass it along and share it with your children.
A group of rapists and date rapists in prison were interviewed on what they look for in a potential victim and here are some interesting facts :
1) The first thing men look for in a potential victim is hairstyle. They are most likely to go after a woman with a ponytail, bun, braid or other hairstyle that can easily be grabbed . They are also likely to go after a woman with long hair. Women with short hair are not common targets.
2) The second thing men look for is clothing. They will look for women w ho's clothing is easy to remove quickly. Many of them carry scissors around specifically to cut clothing.
3) They also look for women on their cell phone, searching through their purse, or doing other activities while walking because they are off-guard and can be easily overpowered.
4) Men are most likely to attack & rape in the early morning, between 5:00 a.m. and 8:30 a.m.
5) The number one place women are abducted from/attacked is grocery store parking lots. The number two : office parking lots/garages.t Number three : public restrooms.
6) The thing about these men is that they are looking to grab a woman and quickly move her to another location where they don't have to worry about getting caught.
7) Only 2% said they carried weapons because rape carries a 3-5 year sentence but rape with a weapon is 15-20 years.
8) If you put up any kind of a fight at all, they get discouraged because it only takes a minute or two for them to realize that going after you isn't worth it because it will be time-consuming.
9) These men said they would not pick on women who have umbrellas, or other similar objects that can be used from a distance, in their hands
Keys are NOT a deterrent because you have to get really close to the attacker to use them as a weapon. So, the idea is to convince these guys you're not worth it.
10) Several defense mechanisms he taught us are : If someone is following behind you on a street or in a garage or with you in an elevator or stairwell, look them in the face and ask them a question, like what time is it?, or make general small talk : 'I can't believe it is so cold out here,' 'We're in for a bad winter.' Now you've seen their face and could identify them in a line-up; you lose appeal as a target.
11) If someone is coming toward you, hold out your hands in front of you and yell STOP! or STAY BACK! Most of the rapists this man talked to said they'd leave a woman alone if she yelled or showed that she would not be afraid to fight back. Again, they are looking for an EASY target.
12) If you carry pepper spray (this instructor was a huge advocate of it and carries it with him wherever he goes), yell I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY and holding it out will be a deterrent.
13) If someone grabs you, you can't beat them with strength but you can by outsmarting them. If you are grabbed around the waist from behind, pinch the attacker either under the Arm (between the elbow and armpit) OR in the upper innerthigh VERY VERY HARD. One woman in a class this guy taught told him she used the underarm pinch on a guy who was trying to date rape her and was so upset she broke through the skin and tore out muscle strands - the guy needed stitches. Try pinching yourself in those places as hard as you can stand it - it hurts.
14) After the initial hit, always GO for the GROIN. I know from a particularly unfortunate experience that if you slap a guy's parts it is extremely painful. You might think that you'll anger the guy and make him want to hurt you more, but the thing these rapists told our instructor is that they want a woman who will not cause a lot of trouble. Start causing trouble and he's out of there.
15) When the guy puts his hands up to you, grab his first two fingers and bend them back as far as possible with as much pressure pushing down on them as possible. The instructor did it to me without using much pressure, and I ended up on my knees and both knuckles cracked audibly.
16) Of course the things we always hear still apply. Always be aware of your surroundings, take someone with you if you can and if you see any odd behavior, don't dismiss it, go with your instincts!!!
You may feel a little silly at the time, but you'd feel much worse if the guy really was trouble.
1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do : The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!
2. Learned this from a tourist guide in New Orleans : If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you....chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc, and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc.) DON'T DO THIS! The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.
a. If someone is in the car with a gun to your head DO NOT DRIVE OFF, repeat : DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.
5 A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot or parking garage
A.) Be aware : look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat.
B.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
C.) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.
IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)
6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!)
7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times. And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, preferably in a zigzag pattern!
8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic : STOP! It may get you raped or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well-educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked 'for help' into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
9. Another Safety Point : Someone just told me that her friend heard a crying baby on her porch the night before last, and she called the police because it was late and she thought it was weird. The police told her 'Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.'
The lady then said that it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, and she was worried that it would crawl to the street and get run over. The policeman said, 'We already have a unit on the way, whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.' He told her that they think a serial killer has a baby's cry recorded and uses it to coax women out of their homes thinking that someone dropped off a baby. He said they have not verified it, but have had several calls by women saying that they hear baby's cries outside their doors when they're home alone at night.
Please pass this on and DO NOT open the door for a crying baby --- This should be taken seriously because the Crying Baby theory was mentioned on America's Most Wanted this past Saturday when they profiled the serial killer in Louisiana.
The "crying baby" lure is debunked by snopes, snopes.com: Crying Baby Lure
This list looks like other Internet hoaxes in which as list of true statements is used to put over a fake one at the end .
If locked in a trunk, kicking the tail lights out is a good idea but it is even better to pull the release inside many newer trunks . In John Douglas's book, Journey Into Darkness , there is the account of a rape victim who managed to kick the trunk lid open and escape .
Years ago, an old woman was robbed and locked in her car trunk in her apartment house parking garage . She tapped on the trunk lid and called for help until she was almost exhausted . Luckily, a little boy heard her cries , told her he was going for help, and got adults to free her .
I've read that you can keep a screwdriver and pliers in your trunk so you can remove the lock cover and work the lock with the screwdriver .
I do not like the idea of using pepper spray as a threat . The stuff is probably more effective when it is sprayed without warning . I DO believe in carrying it in hand with finger on the button as a deterrant . That ready carry also assures you'll have time to use it . I'm also nauseated by all of these politically correct cops on T.V. with their " Stop or I'll Taze " warnings .
Shouting a warning could also induce the attacker to rush you or dodge the stream or cone of spray .
I actually got this from my ma, some of it sounds like really good advice, I thought this would make a good thread for people to at least read over.
I have to agree with you about the baby lure thing, it seemed a bit out there.
I wrote the text below before visiting Snopes again . Much of the advice in the email is bad . Here's the link : snopes.com: Rape Prevention Advice
A lot of the advice is dependent on the unnamed rapists and unnamed instructor knowing what they are talking about .
Some of it looks questionable to me . For instance, I've heard many times that bending an attacker's fingers back will work ( #15 ) . In truth, if the attacker is in a rage, drunk or on drugs , he may not feel pain . Sober men have soaked up multiple bullets and kept fighting , so I wouldn't expect the old finger bend to be 100% effective .
Women abducted frequently from public restrooms ? ( #5) I don't buy it . It is probably very rare.
Not so sure about #6 either ; Most rapes I hear about occur on the spot and do not involve transporting the victim . There is a site called Healthyplace.com that has an archive of rape victims' stories that may shed light on this .
Second set #5B says MOST serial killers pull women into vans . I doubt it and I've read a lot of true crime stuff .
#7 : I doubt rapists take the possible sentence into account before committing the crime because they don't plan on getting arrested . At any rate, the sentences would no doubt vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction . I'm sure the possible sentence for rape without a weapon is more than 5 years too .
O.K. , here's defense advice that I would give women :
1) Use the buddy system. If possible, don't be out alone. Don't live alone unless necessary . If you walk, the two of you should be spaced about 5 feet apart, with one walking point and the other " checking six " and lagging a couple steps behind .
2) If you see potential trouble while walking, cross the street or change direction if appropriate . Try to walk near the street and away from alleys and recesses .
Carry and use a flashlight, both to see better and to weild as a weapon ; a Mini Mag-lite of the new LED type is good .
3) If attacked, strike at the eyes, throat and groin . Practice the knee strike followed up with the snap kick , eye gouges, palm strike to the jaw , hammer blow to the groin from beside the attacker and chop to the throat . If grappling, grab the testicles and squeeze/pull/hang on .
4) If involved with an abusive man, leave him ; Do not try to use the police to regulate his behavior by having them lock him up periodically . Do not provoke him . Break off all contact .
5) If you carry a weapon, such as Pepper Spray or a knife, make sure you can deploy it instantly. You may have to walk with your hand on it .
Pepper spray has great stopping power and can be used more recklessly than dangerous weapons. Knives have great threat value but poor stopping power .
6) Keep your cell phone handy and memorize how to dial 911 . Do not program 911 as an instant dial because you could call by accident . If you have no cell phone, get an old uninitialized phone and charger from a friend or women's group because it will still call 911 .
7) If approached, yell at the suspicious person, " Back off ! " before he gets close .
8) Consider a personal alarm. Remington used to make a good one shaped like a handle-grip . Setting off an alarm before you are actually attacked is not a crime.
9) Park in the middle of a parking lot or near an entrance , under a light , or where ever seems safest .
10 ) If stranded on the road, stay in the car, lower the window a crack to tell anyone who stops that your friends are coming to help but to please call the police just in case .
If he breaks the window, shoot him. You remembered your gun, I hope ?
Ok this is well said, I've already copied and pasted what you posted here to an e-mail I sent to my sister. She lives in Los Angeles and in a not so decent part of it either. I got her a Fox brand OC spray to carry on her person. I'm sure this will help a lot.
Glad to hear my stuff is being used ! Good going .
Thank you! This serves the purpose of this forum.... :D
First lets assume a group of rapist in prison would give us an honest reflection. More than 50% will reoffend so I doubt they are giving up how they find and attack targets.
There is some good points in this thread and many bad. Like I'm certian the knee has more force than the elbow. All the same there has been better advice offered due to this post that made it better so take the good and pass it on to the people in your life.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 10:50 PM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.