Potentially bad range experience - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Potentially bad range experience

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 697 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 1453

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Not to be the jerk in the room but...if it were my range that would likely have been third and final warning. He would have been informed of range etiquette at beginning of range time. He would have been told guns gown on going cold. His father told him to leave it alone. If the kid isn't going to listen then he isn't going to be welcome on my range.
Understood, but browbeating and being too harsh can turn someone off to the sport... and that hurts us all in the long run. Again, in this case no one got hurt.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

That's why I said likely. I would have to actually be there to really make final decision.
As long as the kid learns and doesn't make the mistake again. Then its not a terrible experience.
The father seems to have handled it. I've had situations where the father refuses to take responsibility and doesn't want to hear it from the range officer. There is no second chance in that situation.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Last edited by mountainman13; 03-28-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #13

Liked 697 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 1453

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
That's why I said likely. I would have to actually be there to really make final decision.
As long as the kid learns and doesn't make the mistake again. Then its not a terrible experience.
The father seems to have handled it. I've had situations where the father refuses to take responsibility and doesn't want to hear it from the range officer. There is no second chance in that situation.
As a father of a young shooter I totally understand and I keep telling my son "Making a mistake will happen.... I've made almost every one in the book except one... The same mistake twice."

Old 03-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 871 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Kid is actually an amazing shooter, I'd hate to turn him off. I kind regret not having a conversation at the time, but I was still in shock at seeing the business end potential in cond 1, and i was score keeping the event. Dad took responsibility, which I was happy to see.

I've made enough of my own mistakes, I'm far from being perfect, and knock on wood, nothing has come from them, and I haven't made the same one twice

Old 03-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

If the father told his son to put the firearm down and "not to touch it" and the kid picked it up anyway, then the kid has no business being on the range. He's not mature enough for this responsibility.

Sorry to sound harsh about it but the reality is that he could have hurt/killed someone.

I started taking my son to the range when he was 10 and we spent allot of time at home practicing safe firearm handling before we ever went to the range. He had to recite the 4 rules of gun safety so many times he was practically saying it in his sleep. I don’t know how many times I emphasized the importance of not putting your finger on the trigger unless you are on target and intend to fire the weapon.

If he had ever touched a firearm without my permission or especially after I specifically asked him not to, there would have been serious consequences.

In my opinion the parent and the range are being to lax concerning range safety.

Practice handling more at home first, so safe handling becomes instinctive muscle memory, and keep the “mistakes” at home rather than the range where I may be shooting with my children also.

I also shoot IPDA and if you so much as sweep the muzzle back into the crowd it’s a permanent “goodbye” from the club.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 03-28-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:05 AM   #16

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think the Dad handled the situation correctly and I wouldn't be surprised if the kid isn't gone for a few months. A lot of people just don't know anything about range rules and etiquette. I think visiting a range for the first time is one of the most intimidating experiences for a new gun owner. I put together this article to help folks out who are visiting a range for the first time:

Range Etiquette 101 - The Basic Rules of Behavior at Your Local Shooting Range

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

Last edited by GatorDude; 03-29-2012 at 04:09 AM.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #17

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusecho View Post
If the father told his son to put the firearm down and "not to touch it" and the kid picked it up anyway, then the kid has no business being on the range. He's not mature enough for this responsibility.
This.

Perhaps the range could have a 'written test' on what the four rules are before one is even allowed to be there? It would at least ensure they know what they are. Whether they observe it or not is another issue.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #18
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1359 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

Parents generally need to be stricter with their kids about firearm safety from the get-go. Give them the lecture until it comes out their ears and they get a good ass-chewing when they screw up. Then they remember. They screw up a second time the BB gun or 22 or whatever gets confiscated. All this namby-pamby atta boy stuff is okay at little league but it's not worth squat with a hot weapon. My boys knew that if that BB gun came in the house with the safety off or pumped with pressure they were gonna get chewed out and it would be weeks before they ever held that gun again. And, there would be no graduation to firearms until they convinced me they were ready. The result is I've turned out three responsible young men who are expert gun handlers and marksmen. Just sayin.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #19

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Firearms may be the first time a child needs to be made aware of the difference between a 'Pick up your toys and come to dinner' warning, and the seriousness of a firearms safety infraction. They just may not be aware or appreciate the difference unless it has been thoroughly explained that firearms responsibility is a whole different level of seriousness. That's it’s not some relatively casual shut the TV or clean up your room warning.

Last edited by Vincine; 03-29-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Firearms may be the first time a child needs to be made aware of the difference between a 'Pick up your toys and come to dinner' warning, and the seriousness of a firearms safety infraction. They just may not be aware or appreciate the difference unless it has been thoroughly explained that firearms responsibility is a whole different level of seriousness. That's it’s not some relatively casual shut the TV or clean up your room warning.
i agree. it is the parents responsibility to teach their children the safe handling of firearms and to stress the why it's important and that there will be severe repercussions if these safety rules are ever broken. they need to understand that firearms are real and if not handled safely and properly, that there is always a chance that they could hurt or kill someone. they need to be made aware that in real life and shooting real firearms, it's not tv or a video game. until they can make the decision to treat firearms with respect and handle them safely, they are not ready for them yet. it all comes down to the parent and how they approach teaching their children about firearms and their safe use and handling. my father started my brother when we were young, my brother was six, and i was seven. my father was always a very serious person, but was way more serious when it came to firearms safety and we both knew there were serious penalties for not following fathers instructions to the letter. so i will say the biggest fault in any instances with a minor failing to observe proper firearms saety lies with the parent or parents.