pointing unloaded guns
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > pointing unloaded guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default pointing unloaded guns

Do you ever point unloaded firearms at people accidentally?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
Jay

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My grandfather cured me of that when I was 6 yrs old. Many folks at gun shows should have met my grandfather.

Some of my toys

Old 10-12-2007, 08:39 PM   #3

Default Firearm safety rules

Rule #1- Every gun is always loaded.

I have been known to draw on someone pointing a gun at me. The only way I know to cure stupidity. I take it HARD when anyone points a weapon at me.
There is NO SUCH THING AS AN UNLOADED WEAPON.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Only in the military, with proper training and supervision. I don't recommend doing it under any other condition. The only time you point a firearm at something, is if you want it to die.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #5

NEVER! loaded, unloaded, toy or real it does not matter. Two of my boys will not even point play guns at anyone, And I'm teaching my two year old now. It's never too soon to start on gun safty.(to an extent)

Old 10-13-2007, 03:20 AM   #6

Default Way to go, tilt!

One of the safety rules is, of course, never point your muzzle at anything you are not willing to destroy.

If you screw up one rule, you might get away with it. But pointing a weapon at someone violates at least two or three - almost guaranteeing a disaster!

Old 10-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3356 Times on 1737 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Default pointing unloaded guns

I went to a class that had us pointing unloaded guns at each other and dropping the hammers. Talk about an eye opener! The instructor had all ammo out of the area. User, instructor and all other participants checked EVERY weapon several times until EVERYONE was satisfied that ALL guns were unloaded. Each gun had a chamber flag installed so you could see that the gun was unloaded and could not possibly be loaded.

We practiced drawing, aquiring a sight picture and snapping the hammer/striker at each other. I could not do it at first. Years of training had told me to not do such a thing. Shooting a bad guy requires violating this basic tennant. It was an eye opening exercise for me. I felt emothionally drained as a result of the exercise. It was so far off what I had been trained, my mind was exhausted. After a few days of reflection, I realized the message. You may have to violate the basic rules to survive. I know you don't point a gun at anything you do not intend to destroy. No rational, caring person WANTS to take a life. You may be FORCED to take a life. He who hesitates is lost. You may have to react quickly and not REALLY give it alot of conscious thought. If you hesitate for a moment, you may be the one on the Coroners slab. If you react too quickly, you may be the one standing trial for Murder.

IF the training can be done in an absolutely controlled setting, it will tell you alot about your self.

I have taught dozens of others using this method. They all report having similar reactions. It can be a very introspective exercise.

It is one thing to shoot a target, even a color target or 3-D target but another thing entirely to shoot a person. If you are strict in your safety practices, you may hestitate in a real deal.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
Jay

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Please don't think I'm trying to stir the pot, but what kind of handguns allowed the triggers to be pulled, and/or the hammers to fall with a chamber flag in place?

Would the chamber flags you were using allow the gun to come into battery?

Some of my toys

Old 10-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Please don't think I'm trying to stir the pot, but what kind of handguns allowed the triggers to be pulled, and/or the hammers to fall with a chamber flag in place?

Would the chamber flags you were using allow the gun to come into battery?
I'm wondering the exact same thing.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:42 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3356 Times on 1737 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Default Unloaded

I used sections of automotive vacuum hose with reflective tape on each end. It would compress enough to allow the weapons to go into battery yert prodtrude from the muzzle and chamber end for easy visible verification. The main drawback was the vacuum hose was a little fragile. Each piece would last about 2-3 classes but, was cheap enough to replace. Others used yellow nylon rope that would run up through the barrel and down through the mag well. On the Glocks there is enough unsupported space at the feed ramp to allow the gun to go into battery. That would not work on the Smith's as they have a magazine disconnector so the trigger cannot engage the hammer w/o the mag in place.

It is a far cry from the old days of pointing your finger and saying bang (yes we really did that 20+ years ago)and more realistic than air soft guns.