Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Point Shooting vs. Flash Sighting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1742 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Way back in 1961 I got friendly with the supply sargeant on the small radar site I was stationed at. He was also an armourer and instructor. We went out on the desert with 1911's frequently and burned a lot of ammo. He taught me a lot. His point was that if and when you had to use a pistol, it was more than likely going to be up front and personal. Anybody familiar with the 1911 can hit at 10- 25 yds. Up close is another story. He taught me never to buy a handgun that does not come up and point naturally. The 1911 does. It has to be an extension of your arm. You wont have time to adjust. Never bring your weapon up where some one can reach it. In tight quarters you start at the hip preferably with a 2 hand hold and move back if you can. You are shooting at a reasonably large target and dont need pinpoint accuracy but you do need to hit the center mass. It is amazing how accurate you can be shooting from the hip with the proper hold. He taught me to lock the pistol in position and move the body not the pistol. You bring the pistol up as you gain distance. He also said "Practice". This was not in his program back then but a laser really helps in developing the necessary mussle memory.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #12

No dogmatic "style" is going to get you the hits you NEED without training followed by practice. Training and practice are not the same thing. Training is the aquisition of new skills, practice is the repeating those new learned skills to hone them further.

There are SO many guys so steeped into their dogmatic thinking...they remain rigid and unable to adapt as the dynamic critical incident unfolds. When I was in the academy WAYYYYYYYYY back in 1987 our range officer was so "old school" he believed that the old BULLSEYE style was the way to go. He did a dis-service to every wet nose he "trained".

I am a believer in adapting to whatever situation you find yourself in. If you have the time to get a fine sight picture and break that shot perfectly from a rested position, by all means, don't deprive yourself of any advantage.

If you are up close and personal, by all means, rock your peice out of the holster and hammer a couple of doubles into the bread basket as you try to move back and extend. ANY time you practice drills of this nature, please have a friend with you as a safety coach to see that you are not covering yourself with the muzzle...a second wet of eyes always helps!

I have been shooting conmpetition for over 20 years. I started in PPC and IPSC, then moved to IDPA, then to Steel, and now am having the most fun shooting USPSA Steel at two local matches every week. Speed and accuracy go hand in hand...flash sight picture (extend, touch, press...break that shot as soon as you have front sight on the target to get the hits you NEED). These shots are from 5-15 yards.

If I go over 15 yards...it is all about that wonderfully groovy sight picture and perfect break to the shot.

Note in all cases...break the hot. By that I mean, press that trigger, watch your reset, don't slap or bounce it....dry fire dry fire dry fire.

What I am saying is...train, practice, excel.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I carry a 1911 on each side,so depending on the circumstances i may use both if faced with several attackers.Of course i use the sights when shooting longer distances,but at typical self defense situations,it doesnt take so long for an experienced person to point and shoot.Not saying im very experienced...

Springfield Armory 1911 TRP,two of them,in Simply Rugged holsters for the summer and Andrews double shoulder holster for winter.

Benelli MR1 AR-15 with Surefire light/laser.

Benelli M2 with Surefire light.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #14

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Is this what you meant, Cane (I can't recall who quotes you in their signature line): "Be good at 2 to 4 yards in a PD situation, or be dead."?

I can't recall the exact quote.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Last edited by CHLChris; 12-29-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:32 PM   #15
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1354 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

When you have to shoot fast at a close target "drive" the barrel of your firearm at the target as you shoot. It's not sighting and it's more than point shooting, it's more akin to drilling.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 12-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #16

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
When you have to shoot fast at a close target "drive" the barrel of your firearm at the target as you shoot. It's not sighting and it's more than point shooting, it's more akin to drilling.
Very interesting way of looking at it. It seems to make sense. Does anyone else have thoughts on this technique?

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 02-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
What are your opinions? I know there are some very knowledgeable folks on here and I just wanted to see what everyones personal preference is. Has either played a significant role in your training or real world situations?

In general I'm still pretty new to handguns and I am attempting to weigh which of these methods would be best to train on. I'm sure some will probably suggest both seeing as at 10 ft, no ones using sights regardless.

Thanks fellas.
From what I understand, flash sight picture or "type two focus" is a form of point shooting. I think all sighting methods have place somewhere in the fight continuum. Depends on the situation and the time/distances involved. Don't limit your training to one method or another.