Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Point Shooting and Sighted Fire Integrated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Default Point Shooting and Sighted Fire Integrated.

There have been many discussions,disagreements,and downright pissing contests about Point Shooting vs. Sighted Fire.

I dont want to get into that here.

I just wanted to show a historical clip that shows a soldier integrating the two back in the 1940's.

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-28-2010, 11:20 PM   #2

nice video.. i train all ways and should do moor prone training a little slow getting down even slower getting up

Old 06-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #3

I hear ya brother-its starting for me too.Back is always aching these days.....

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

III%

Old 06-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #4

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

WOOT!! I am the FTF Point Shooting Advocate!

You stand a 90% chance in your first PD action to fend off a knife or gun attack with your weak side arm as you blow the BG's heart out with your gun inches from your holster.

Not only will you not use your sights, you probably won't even see your gun.

Here's another static, you are 1,000 times more likely to use a fire extinguisher to put out a house fire than to draw and fire your carry piece in a PD action.

So......start counting your house fires and when you reach 1K, you'll be up on rotation for some self-defense action!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #5

Mister Canebreak-I too am an advocate of point shooting,but also of aimed fire-I believe both are important.Equal time in training both 'dry' and 'live' should be devoted to integrating both into one well-rounded discipline.

-Mahatma Gandhi

III%

Old 06-29-2010, 12:15 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

If some bastard named 5shot stops by here advocating putting your friggin trigger finger down the side of your pistol, pulling the trigger with your middle finger, then stating how this is a "fatal flaw" in the 1911 platform, I swear to Christ I will ban everyone in this thread!

Point Shooting.

There has been NO SINGLE TOPIC that has caused as much turmoil and stupidity as this one topic.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovJosh View Post
Mister Canebreak-I too am an advocate of point shooting,but also of aimed fire-I believe both are important.Equal time in training both 'dry' and 'live' should be devoted to integrating both into one well-rounded discipline.
+1 Josh, but you can bet your butt that this old man will be doing little prone shooting anytime soon!

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 06-29-2010, 12:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
If some bastard named 5shot stops by here advocating putting your friggin trigger finger down the side of your pistol, pulling the trigger with your middle finger, then stating how this is a "fatal flaw" in the 1911 platform, I swear to Christ I will ban everyone in this thread!
Can he do that?

Bad time of the month JD?

Love ya brother!

- orangello

Old 06-29-2010, 12:42 AM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

You have access. You go ahead and search through the "fatal flaw in 1911 can be fatal for u" thread and you tell me.

Dumbass to the 10th Degree.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:53 AM   #10

Actually,I've had a look at his website.I've been interested in point shooting history and have tried to incorporate it since I began supplementing my martial arts training with WW2 books.Googling 'point shooting' will get you a link to his site.
I'd never heard of that sort of grip with using your middle finger till I came across that guys website.
I guess to each his own,but please dont ban me if he shows up to argue the fact,it was not my intention to start a fight at all.
I know its contentious,the whole point shooting vs. sighted fire debate,but honestly I really think the two should compliment rather than contradict each other in the repertoire of the modern shooter.

I just wanted to show that video.

Would I try that strange middle finger shooting grip ?

Not likely.

And thats because I wouldn't instinctively go for my gun that way.
Correct or incorrect,it would take me longer to unlearn the way I've been shooting -and doing quite decently,I might add- than it took for me to learn what I'm doing that works for me.

If it ain't broke,no need to fix it.

I also read that stuff about the flaw of the 1911 or whatever.

You can also choke a semiauto by limp wristing it,which I strongly suspect a two fingered grip might promote.
I have been lifting weights all my life.I could do a heavy deadlift with my middle,ring,and pinkie fingers,but I wouldnt try it with just my pinkie and ring fingers around the bar.
I'll go outside right now and try a couple pullups with the different hand configurations.

I'll bet dimes to dollars I can do pullups with my first finger and thumb off the bar,but not with all but those two on it.

And the reason why is because the power of our grip is focused in the three fingers of middle,pinkie,and ring.

Anyone whose ever done serious grip strengthening work should know that.

OK-to the pullup bar,brb.

-Mahatma Gandhi

III%

Last edited by KalashnikovJosh; 06-29-2010 at 01:06 AM.