Pistol shooting tip.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Pistol shooting tip.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Pistol shooting tip.

Found this good pistol shooting tip (I think).

Last edited by Poink88; 01-30-2011 at 06:30 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

1st video, about 1:37, I do not like how he racks the slide. This would encourage noobs to end up with the muzzle pointing to the left elbow in time (or someone else). Especially with a stout recoil spring.

I (a right hander) prefer to:
Hold handgun in right hand,
"Pinch" the slide near the rear sight with the left thumb and left index finger,
Pull slide back, release.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #3

danf_fl, I'm with you 100%. keeps the muzzle down range at all times.

2B1ASK1

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

Old 02-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #4

Likes Given: 5

Great videos, Thank you for posting. I am going to try ther elbow lock next trip to the range.
Some great info here.!!
I don't think a new B could rack a slide in that manner. Takes practice and a smooth slide

"It is when people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." Patrick Henery ... "The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!" George Washington

Last edited by safedman; 02-05-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by safedman View Post
Great videos, Thank you for posting. I am going to try ther elbow lock next trip to the range.
Some great info here.!!
I don't think a new B could rack a slide in that manner. Takes practice and a smooth slide
Please note it is NOT elbow lock. The elbow is still bent but outward, not down. What he is locking is his torso and shoulders.

Please watch the video again.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
1st video, about 1:37, I do not like how he racks the slide. This would encourage noobs to end up with the muzzle pointing to the left elbow in time (or someone else). Especially with a stout recoil spring.

I (a right hander) prefer to:
Hold handgun in right hand,
"Pinch" the slide near the rear sight with the left thumb and left index finger,
Pull slide back, release.

Not everyone has the strength in their hands to rack a large caliber handgun with just the thumb and fore finger. I had to teach the full grip method to rack the slide to my girlfriend on my 45. They just have to learn to do it safely, with the muzzle pointed down range. Having broken my left thumb when I was younger I seem to be getting early arthritis in that digit and some days it hurts enough that I also use the full grip to rack the slide. The video shows the proper way to do that maneuver and it is good to know if you ever find yourself with a hurt hand and a need to defend yourself.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 02-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Well to be fair, that is commonly referred to as a a "combat rack" of the slide in that first video. I too, do use it on frequent occasions, muzzle downrange, hand over slide, rack slide and proceed to fire on target. It is used very often in match shooting...and combat.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I find folks that have weak hands and arms find it more comfortable to grasp the slide and push the gun forward rather than trying to pull the slide rearward.

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by montveil View Post
I find folks that have weak hands and arms find it more comfortable to grasp the slide and push the gun forward rather than trying to pull the slide rearward.
Ahhh...never looked at it that way, but you could have a valid point there. The vast amount of people I have witnessed using that same slide racking style, have been of both sexes and all varied grip/hand strengths. That could be a very valid reason used by some.

For me, it seems to help keep my focus primarily on my forward target, as I smoothly push my guns sights back into my POV and position, for return fire, while moving forward.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #10

That "combat rack" is more of a gross motor skill than the "slingshot" or "pinch" method. One is for fighting and the other is for plinking.