Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Pistol shooting tip. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/pistol-shooting-tip-37627/)

Poink88 01-30-2011 06:23 AM

Pistol shooting tip.

Found this good pistol shooting tip (I think).

danf_fl 01-30-2011 09:10 AM

1st video, about 1:37, I do not like how he racks the slide. This would encourage noobs to end up with the muzzle pointing to the left elbow in time (or someone else). Especially with a stout recoil spring.

I (a right hander) prefer to:
Hold handgun in right hand,
"Pinch" the slide near the rear sight with the left thumb and left index finger,
Pull slide back, release.

hcso617 01-30-2011 04:51 PM

danf_fl, I'm with you 100%. keeps the muzzle down range at all times.

safedman 02-05-2011 10:35 AM

Great videos, Thank you for posting. I am going to try ther elbow lock next trip to the range.
Some great info here.!! :D
I don't think a new B could rack a slide in that manner. Takes practice and a smooth slide

Poink88 02-05-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by safedman (Post 437556)
Great videos, Thank you for posting. I am going to try ther elbow lock next trip to the range.
Some great info here.!! :D
I don't think a new B could rack a slide in that manner. Takes practice and a smooth slide

Please note it is NOT elbow lock. The elbow is still bent but outward, not down. What he is locking is his torso and shoulders.

Please watch the video again.

Jo da Plumbr 02-05-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 432663)
1st video, about 1:37, I do not like how he racks the slide. This would encourage noobs to end up with the muzzle pointing to the left elbow in time (or someone else). Especially with a stout recoil spring.

I (a right hander) prefer to:
Hold handgun in right hand,
"Pinch" the slide near the rear sight with the left thumb and left index finger,
Pull slide back, release.

Not everyone has the strength in their hands to rack a large caliber handgun with just the thumb and fore finger. I had to teach the full grip method to rack the slide to my girlfriend on my 45. They just have to learn to do it safely, with the muzzle pointed down range. Having broken my left thumb when I was younger I seem to be getting early arthritis in that digit and some days it hurts enough that I also use the full grip to rack the slide. The video shows the proper way to do that maneuver and it is good to know if you ever find yourself with a hurt hand and a need to defend yourself.

IGETEVEN 02-05-2011 02:52 PM

Well to be fair, that is commonly referred to as a a "combat rack" of the slide in that first video. I too, do use it on frequent occasions, muzzle downrange, hand over slide, rack slide and proceed to fire on target. It is used very often in match shooting...and combat. :cool:

montveil 02-06-2011 04:51 PM

I find folks that have weak hands and arms find it more comfortable to grasp the slide and push the gun forward rather than trying to pull the slide rearward.

IGETEVEN 02-06-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montveil (Post 438492)
I find folks that have weak hands and arms find it more comfortable to grasp the slide and push the gun forward rather than trying to pull the slide rearward.

Ahhh...never looked at it that way, but you could have a valid point there. The vast amount of people I have witnessed using that same slide racking style, have been of both sexes and all varied grip/hand strengths. That could be a very valid reason used by some.

For me, it seems to help keep my focus primarily on my forward target, as I smoothly push my guns sights back into my POV and position, for return fire, while moving forward.

jrfctx 02-06-2011 07:58 PM

That "combat rack" is more of a gross motor skill than the "slingshot" or "pinch" method. One is for fighting and the other is for plinking.