Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > People with kids at what age?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thank-you. I kind of know why she feels the way she does. Our son is our first and only child and I know she wants to protect him. But that's the point I keep reiterating to her. The more he knows the safer he is, you know, knowledge is power sort of thing. She is always open to new ideas and like I said earlier, we've always been able to find a middle ground so I have faith that we can work this out. Like I said the argument is not about him being around firearms, its about when to introduce him to them.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #22

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

My daughter is five and we taught her about not going near the gun cabinet and what they are intended to do(kill bad guys if they mess with our family). I think you are on the right track with the BB gun starting off. That's what I intend to do this Christmas. BB gun this year and I figure about 7 or 8 she will be ready for a 22LR.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #23
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnutdaddy View Post
Thank-you. I kind of know why she feels the way she does. Our son is our first and only child and I know she wants to protect him. But that's the point I keep reiterating to her. The more he knows the safer he is, you know, knowledge is power sort of thing. She is always open to new ideas and like I said earlier, we've always been able to find a middle ground so I have faith that we can work this out. Like I said the argument is not about him being around firearms, its about when to introduce him to them.
I would say 5 ish is a good age. But of course that depends on maturity level of said 5 y/o of course. All kids develop quicker/slower than others. Its really your/her call. Just keep fighting the good fight, you'll get there. It sounds like your both very concerned and involved parents so all will (should) work out.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-22-2011, 01:01 AM   #24

Default kids & guns

I my dad taught me about guns as soon as he could, the first thing being don't touch. As I got older I learned safety and then to shoot. I'm trying to teach my stepson safety right now, and hopefully soon how to shoot. So start teaching them as soon as possible. But again like others on here have said your kids, you do what you think is best for them.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:29 AM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think it's all about how the kid is. If they are interested and willing to listen to you about safety and understand what is going then go for it. I have been shooting guns since I was about 7. Started shooting .22lr and had it given to me for passing the fourth grade, lol. I shot a 44 mag, I think it was a red hawk, when I was about 9. It took me off my feet but I loved it. I showed my kids at different ages. They would want to go with me so I'd take them. I bought them a single shot .22 cricket to shoot. Only one of them ever scared me so he doesn't have any part of the fun. My youngest is now 14 but shot for the first time at age 10. He is the best shot out of the 3. I say if they can hold the firearm and be able to control it they are old enough to shoot. Don't go giving a tiny little kid some desert eagle .50. Pellet guns are a good way to teach them safety. Myself I was a Rambo as a kid, rifle pellet gun with a bowie knife on my belt and a bow and arrow close by.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969
At what age did you start teaching your kids about firearm safety? My wife does not see eye to eye on the whole gun issue, but she has come to accept that they are part of who I am. We have two young kids, a girl age 5 and boy age 3.5. I was raised around guns, hunting, fishing etc. Firearms were just a part of life for us, I got my first shotgun for my 11th birthday. Growing up when and where I did, a gun was not really any different than a fishing rod (except for the safety aspect). Right now all my guns are kept locked up, but I wonder if I should start teaching the kids what they are and that they need to be respected. I fear that if I hide them, don't talk about them, all that will do is create more curiosity and that IMO is a bad thing. I was thinking of maybe teaching my son when he 5 how to shoot a bb gun and move from there to a .22 rifle after a couple years with the bb gun. My daughter is the ultimate girl and has shown no interest, but I will still teach her how to shoot and the basic safety rules. What have you all done.
I believe the earlier you start the better. I also believe that it takes away the curious issue that lead to accidental shootings. My son age 6 already owns two guns a bb gun and a 10/22. I started his diesel training at 4 with. Toy guns. First shot with .22 was at 5. My ex wife is not happy about it but when we or I shoot he knows the rules and follows them. Short story, when I stated teaching about firearms I told him he doesn't handle or shoot a gun with out my self or his step mom there. He was at his cousins once and his older cousin took out a bb gun and my son refused to touch it and called me to tell me his cousin was playing with a gun without an adult around His cousin is like 12. So I think education early will pay off in many ways!

Old 10-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well i started with a shake and bake family 9 years ago my step kids where 8-5 and had never been around guns at this point. So soon as i knew that i was going to be spending alot of time with there mom and at there place and mine i started teaching them about guns.

It first started with what a gun really was and how to respect them. Not that crap on tv. Then i started them both off with shooting bb guns and cans. Then i started taking them to the range on .22's and shooting and moved on from there. But with every respect of teaching them was always safety and good gun handling skills.

Now i have a 4 year old daughter and i have been teaching her about guns all her life she has yet to shoot a real one bb gun or other wise because i told her she had to wait till shes 5 which happens dec 20 of this year, she reminds me that she gets to go shooting when shes 5 and she wants a pink gun.

I really didnt have a choice on if i taught my kids about guns and gun saftey because i carry one every day for work or personal protection about the house. But even if i didnt i would of still taught them about my love for guns and why i like to go shooting.

Please dont rely on tv and movies to teach your kids about gun safety. Because what they do on tv is not safe and not realistic. and someone will get hurt.

Posted by cddbrowns
All you young whipper snappers and your new fangled doo dads have no clue what real construction is.......GET OFF MY LAWN!

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Jeff Cooper

Old 10-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #28

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1995

My oldest which is now thirteen , took his hunter safety course last yr , My youngest is 7 he is learning the basic safety of the gun and how to operate it
he will be taking his hunter safety course next season , we coundnt get him into a class this yr , it just didnt work out with all the kids sporting events

This is what we work with and I got it from another site and another member here

1.All guns are always loaded.
2.Never point the gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.
3.Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target (and you have made the decision to shoot).
4.Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Firearms Rules for Kids
1.If you see a gun, STOP! Don't touch it.
2.Leave the area.
3.Tell an adult.
4.If you see a gun that you really, really, really want to touch, STOP. Don't touch it. Leave the area and ASK an adult if you may safely handle it with them present .
5.If you see a gun and don't know whether it's a real gun or just a toy, treat it like it's a real gun that is loaded.

We have gone over the firearms kids rules hundreds of times and when we go out to shoot he still always reaches for the .22 to take it out of the case and I always ask him what he is doing and then he remembers the rules and asks .
Sometimes its hard to get the kids to remember but keep driving it in their heads , it might hit them right before they get ready to pick one up .

Last edited by purehavoc; 10-26-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think I was probably 4 when my dad first showed me his, basically emphasizing that it is one of those "bang bang" things but that I should never touch it because it can really hurt people. He really stressed that I should never touch it but that I could look at it any time I wanted if I asked him.

I never once had the urge to try to go get it, even knowing where it was.

I was probably 6 or 7 the first time he let me "shoot" it. It is a .380 Beretta 84, and he basically just let me hold my hands on the grip while he wrapped them around mine to shoot it at the ground out in the desert.

Interestingly enough, I didn't actually get into guns myself until like 12 years later.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #30
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1354 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post

If you lock up the guns and hide it from them, that breeds curiosity and in turn leads to tragedy

QFT. The worst person to have a gun in their hand is a kid who's parents make guns evil. That kid will end up fascinated by guns on TV. When he gets hold of one, run for cover because sure enough he'll start waving it around.

I started my boys with a BBgun and safety lessons around 8 or 9. They had to prove to me they were going to do it right because if they so much as flinched in an unsafe way, that gun was gone and they got an ass-chewing. The result was they became very mature about firearms at a young age and are now veteran gun handlers and marksmen.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Last edited by 7point62; 10-29-2011 at 12:49 PM.