People with kids at what age? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > People with kids at what age?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7091 Times on 4268 Posts
Likes Given: 8599

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
You shoot a Mark II or III dontcha?? I would think she could handle that...altho i personally think a cricket would be a better starting point. But i just think starting with a rifle is best.

Yep, yep to the part in bold....your house, your kid (grandkid) you do what you think best.
I do have a Mark II. It is decked out with rather large wooden grips and a scope, making it kind of heavy. But, of course, I could take off the scope and put the aluminum grips back on for her to shoot. Still, I think she's a little too young. Maybe in a year or two.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #12
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I do have a Mark II. It is decked out with rather large wooden grips and a scope, making it kind of heavy. But, of course, I could take off the scope and put the aluminum grips back on for her to shoot. Still, I think she's a little too young. Maybe in a year or two.
Yep, a little bulky in that case, and i wouldnt be one to change configuration just so a kid could shoot it.....maybe a cricket for christmas.

Crickett Firearms - My First Rifle - Youth Model 22 Rifles - Proudly Made In The USA

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #13

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I was thinking 5 all along and most of you confirmed that. My son is still 3 and has the attention span of a knat, I will however teach him that he should not touch a gun if he finds one. My daughter might be ready to shoot my .22 rifle in a couple months, she is almost 5 and is very mature for her age, hell she makes her bed every morning without being told, I don't even manage that most days. This is weird for me, like I said in my OP firearms were just a way of life for me growing up. I was taught about them since I can remember. Times have changed I suppose, but growing up in the woods of Maine is light years different than a suburb of Chicago.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

I started mine as soon as they had any interest in them. 2-3 years of age.
Explaining that these are not toys and can hurt you or someone else.

First you want to eliminate the mystique about firearms. "Daddy will show
me anytime I want to see them."

Second as they are old enough to understand start explaining safety, at
5 or 6 BB guns or .22's are a great start. Every child is different.

My oldest is buying his own guns now (no he is not 18 so Dad is still
"facilitating" purchases, legally I own the guns.)

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 10-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #15

Likes Given: 1

Deer season ends in February. My little guy is 4 he will start on me 1926 stevens bolty when the season ends.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #16

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

First shot for my son were with a heritage rough rider. I had to cock the hammer for him, so really, we were jumping the gun a bit (pun intended). They should be able to handle the gun on their own when they shoot, IMHO.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Personally, I think it solely depends on when you think you child is ready. My father started me off when i was very young. I got photos some where of me sitting on his lap at age 4 popping soda cans off in the field with a old bolt action Marlin.

I think it is very crucial to start them off young and slowing work them up. My father took his time teaching me how important safety is. He is retired USAF and he has absolutely zero patience when it comes to ignorance to safety. I find myself being the exact same way he is, and I am glad.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Your daughter seems old enough now to start learning. At first, it can be "don't touch guns unless daddy or mommy is there and tells you it's ok first" and "immediately tell daddy or mommy if you find a gun or your friend finds one".

Then, get the kids comfortable shooting. The BB gun is a great place to start. Then work your way up to a youth 22.

Get your kids into an NRA Hunter Safety Class, age 9 or 10 is a good age. My son got a 96% on his Hunter Safety exam when he was maybe ten or eleven years old. His score was the best score in the class of many adults! Normally, this instructor had an age 12 minimum, but he'd agreed to let my son in the class. The instructor was excellent and drove home all the points I had stressed to my son.

Most of all, INCLUDE your daughter. Women are about half of the voters in the U.S., and the more they understand about shooting the more they will support the sport and hunting. Many will never get the shooting bug like many boys do, but girls still should understand firearms safety. My wife and daughter are both good shots, but neither caught the bug. But, they know how to be safe, and that's the key.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #19

I have had the same (I don't want to say problem because its not really that negative) disagreement with my wife. My son will turn two this coming February and although I know its too early now, the time is fast approaching that he will be old enough to start enjoying firearms with his dad (which has always been a dream for me since he was born). I was the same way growing up. From the time I can remember, my father, really all the male figures in my life (I.e. grandfather, uncles, older cousins) were very open and willing to teach about firearms. They never "made it a mystery" as early people have said, that I just couldn't help but find out about on my own, alone or otherwise. My dad started taking me squirrel hunting when I was five and deer hunting as soon as I had the patience to sit still long enough LOL. He started letting me go on my own with his Savage .270Win (which he later gave to me as a right of passage for my birthday) when I was eight. I want to do the same thing for my son. This is really the first thing that my wife and I have disagreed on and can't find a middle ground. Don't get me wrong, the argument is not about him being around firearms or not. She was around them as a child too (LOL that's half the reason I get along so well with my father-in-law). The argument is about what age to start introducing him.
Advice?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #20

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnutdaddy View Post
I have had the same (I don't want to say problem because its not really that negative) disagreement with my wife. My son will turn two this coming February and although I know its too early now, the time is fast approaching that he will be old enough to start enjoying firearms with his dad (which has always been a dream for me since he was born). I was the same way growing up. From the time I can remember, my father, really all the male figures in my life (I.e. grandfather, uncles, older cousins) were very open and willing to teach about firearms. They never "made it a mystery" as early people have said, that I just couldn't help but find out about on my own, alone or otherwise. My dad started taking me squirrel hunting when I was five and deer hunting as soon as I had the patience to sit still long enough LOL. He started letting me go on my own with his Savage .270Win (which he later gave to me as a right of passage for my birthday) when I was eight. I want to do the same thing for my son. This is really the first thing that my wife and I have disagreed on and can't find a middle ground. Don't get me wrong, the argument is not about him being around firearms or not. She was around them as a child too (LOL that's half the reason I get along so well with my father-in-law). The argument is about what age to start introducing him.
Advice?
The best method of safety in the world is attention and caution. By her refusing to allow him to be around firearms or have anything to do with them, she is giving them a mystique that isn't a good thing to do.
Without practical application, all his knowledge of firearms will come from movies and TV shows, which will provide a very negative, and unwanted, image.
Depending on how your wife takes it you will either make your point or be wasting your breath. Good luck.