People with kids at what age?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > People with kids at what age?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Default People with kids at what age?

At what age did you start teaching your kids about firearm safety? My wife does not see eye to eye on the whole gun issue, but she has come to accept that they are part of who I am. We have two young kids, a girl age 5 and boy age 3.5. I was raised around guns, hunting, fishing etc. Firearms were just a part of life for us, I got my first shotgun for my 11th birthday. Growing up when and where I did, a gun was not really any different than a fishing rod (except for the safety aspect). Right now all my guns are kept locked up, but I wonder if I should start teaching the kids what they are and that they need to be respected. I fear that if I hide them, don't talk about them, all that will do is create more curiosity and that IMO is a bad thing. I was thinking of maybe teaching my son when he 5 how to shoot a bb gun and move from there to a .22 rifle after a couple years with the bb gun. My daughter is the ultimate girl and has shown no interest, but I will still teach her how to shoot and the basic safety rules. What have you all done.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2011, 01:29 AM   #2

My daughter just turned 5 this month, and since i just got a firearm i figure i need to teach her about gun safety. I just bought her one of those BB handguns from walmart to teach her about guns. haven't really taught her anything about it yet. been working so much but hopefully soon.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:41 AM   #3
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Teach 'em young....5-6 is a great age to start. Start slow and EMPHASIZE safety. Make it fun and they will be interested and they WILL learn.

If you lock up the guns and hide it from them, that breeds curiosity and in turn leads to tragedy

Kids are naturally curious critters and WANT to learn, you are their parent and it is your JOB, your DUTY to teach them.

Firearms are an inescapable part of life in America. They can either learn from YOU in a controlled environment, the correct way or they can learn god knows how/where.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-17-2011, 02:01 AM   #4

Liked 2015 Times on 1110 Posts
Likes Given: 1346

A bb rifle is a great place to start. I like long barrels with kids. If they do something unexpected it is much easier to grab a hold of.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:04 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

They can learn and understand at 5-6, that is the age I plan to start teaching my kids about firearm safety.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-17-2011, 02:22 AM   #6

hell, dad had me fire the family gun, a mossberg 500 persuader, when i was 3. Scared the hell out of me and never went near it. dad left it all over the house when i was growin up, fully loaded with 00 buck. knowing what it did i never went near it or had the curiosity to play with it. cause i knew what came out the front of it equaled terror and pain.

all other lessons came year by year by the most important gun in my life, the 1911. i knew how to tear that, an AK, and an AR apart before i discovered girls were good.

<Insert overused badass Latin phrase about war, or something>

Any one that hates the government is not always a terrorist. Any one for a better America is not always a patriot.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:44 AM   #7

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I started with "don't touch" when mine was about 3. In the past 2 years since then (he's 5 now), he's had the opportunity to shoot a few .22s and to learn a little more about safety.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #8
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7789 Times on 4677 Posts
Likes Given: 9782

My granddaughter is 5. I started teaching her about gun safety, the parts of the gun, what she should do if she finds a gun sitting out. I let her hold it after we've checked to be sure it's empty. We discuss the various parts of the gun and how a gun works. I think she is too young to shoot. Heck, my two handguns are too heavy for her right now. But I do keep my guns in a safe next to my bed at all times. I don't want to take any chance her curiosity might injure or kill her. I know many others feel differently and that's okay, too. You do what you are comfortable with.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
fmj

Quote:
i discovered girls were good.
Since when!?!? all I discovered was pain and misery associated with them split tail critters.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
My granddaughter is 5. I started teaching her about gun safety, the parts of the gun, what she should do if she finds a gun sitting out. I let her hold it after we've checked to be sure it's empty. We discuss the various parts of the gun and how a gun works. I think she is too young to shoot. Heck, my two handguns are too heavy for her right now. But I do keep my guns in a safe next to my bed at all times. I don't want to take any chance her curiosity might injure or kill her. I know many others feel differently and that's okay, too. You do what you are comfortable with.
You shoot a Mark II or III dontcha?? I would think she could handle that...altho i personally think a cricket would be a better starting point. But i just think starting with a rifle is best.

Yep, yep to the part in bold....your house, your kid (grandkid) you do what you think best.