Paper Targets
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Paper Targets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Paper Targets

I was wondering, if I were to print paper targets, what type of paper should i use to print them? Would any regular old paper do just fine? Also, would scotch tape or double sided tape be enough to hold it up against a target? Should I tape it to a piece of cardboard and would a range allow that?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-14-2007, 12:23 PM   #2

Hi pacman.

Printing your targets on regular paper should work just fine unless it's raining out, but I would skip on the tape. Take a stapler or some push pins to the range with you and use them to secure the target to the backboards, or staple a peice of cardboard to the backboard and use spray glue to hold the targets in place.

Also, you can get some really good targets pretty cheap at Law Enforcement Targets that will help with your training. Might check them out.

Take care and stay safe.

Christopher Moore

Point Blank, LLC
P.O. Box 31
Jackson, MO 63755
573-243-4867
www.pointblanktraining.net

Old 06-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #3

Most ranges offer paper targets to you at a very nominal fee. As a matter of fact, I am not even sure they will permit you to "bring your own"!........

GLOCK 19 G19 NS 3RD GEN
:)

Old 01-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #4

Default stencil targets.

One thing I have made myself is a circular stencil I usr for making targets. I take out some paper, cardboard, sheetrock, old file cabinet....whatever and just spray my target on. then let the good times roll.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loogaroo View Post
One thing I have made myself is a circular stencil I usr for making targets. I take out some paper, cardboard, sheetrock, old file cabinet....whatever and just spray my target on. then let the good times roll.
That's what I do. I keep small boxes on hand (read empty 12 packs and wine boxes), then spray them using a 4" circular stencil and some cheap light colored Walmart spray paint.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:35 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I usually use gang members, pedophiles, rapists, insurgents, rabid gophers, etc..... Y'know, whatever happens to be lurking around in the shadows.

I find it's nice to have good "feedback" from the targets.

Seriously though, I like to use standard cheap targets. The cheaper the better. If I want to get fancy I'll get a package of silouettes every once in awhile.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:07 AM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Why would a range stop you from bringing your own targets?

I print mine on card stock so they hold up better in the wind and in the notebook after they are shot.

The ones I use are from 6mmbr.com

My target holder is 6 2' sections of 3/4" PVC 4 1' sections 4 3" sections 4 T fittings 6 90* elbows. and 4 end caps. I glue 3 2' section into a u shape then add the 4 2' section and 2 of the t fitting then 1 more 2' section on each t fitting. That gives you a 2' square that is 2' off the ground. Then I glue 2 of the 1' sections to each t fitting into the holes opposite each-other. Then I glue 4 of the elbows facing the opposite direction as the empty hole in the t fitting. glue the 3" sections into the elbows and glue the caps on. Now DO NOT Glue the feet to the upper target. That way everything lays flat and transports easy.

I then attach a chunk of foam board (Foam core with poaster board on each side) to the 2' square with bolts. This gives you an easy to replace target backer and one that you can use staples, push pins, or tape.

If you hit the PVC cut that section out and replace with a patch. Simple low cost and easy to take care of and repair.

Last edited by cpttango30; 01-29-2009 at 01:19 AM.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:49 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
I usually use gang members, pedophiles, rapists, insurgents, rabid gophers, etc..... Y'know, whatever happens to be lurking around in the shadows.

I find it's nice to have good "feedback" from the targets.

Seriously though, I like to use standard cheap targets. The cheaper the better. If I want to get fancy I'll get a package of silouettes every once in awhile.
Speaking of "feedback", I'm down to 1 arm for a couple of months, so hanging targets is a beeyotch. What I've been doing is taping one up to the frame and then using Shoot-N-C's over the center as I need. The 2" black dots also work well when placed on the throat and on the nose of the photo targets (Hostage, Osama, etc....). At 15 yards and out you know when you hit what you were aiming at.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I print mine on card stock so they hold up better in the wind and in the notebook after they are shot.
Card stock is definitely the way to go. A ream of 500 sheets is like $6, so the most expensive part is the ink. Works great.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:56 PM   #10

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiggie32 View Post
Card stock is definitely the way to go. A ream of 500 sheets is like $6, so the most expensive part is the ink. Works great.
Not for me anymore. I am going to start printing them at work with my big fancy Ricoh C420DN COLOR LASER Printer. That thing prints so nice. and the tonre is free LOL well it comes out of my budget. But for $600 I can print 20,000 sheets in full color.