paintball as tactical exercise ? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > paintball as tactical exercise ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1134 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 657

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
whitetailed deer dosent hunt back
true.. but how freaky would that be right? deer with a vengance. haha

Old 07-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
true.. but how freaky would that be right? deer with a vengance. haha
well technically thats hunting. searing 100lbs deer in half with a 30-06 is just blood lusting...or hungry and going the long way about it.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 07-31-2011, 03:14 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
using paintball items as a tool for tactical training is good idea. thinking of speed ball and such as tactical training, not so good, but it does teach fundimentals. find cover, shoot first, head on swivel, of that nature.
Absolutely!

Interestingly enough, I've observed in paintball and airsoft that guys I know who are good at First-Person shooter games tend to be better at these "live action" sports. I think a lot of it is developing the mindset to M.O.V.E. Of course, I'm not at all saying that playing or being good at video games makes you better in defensive or "tactical" sitiations . But, I am just saying I think there are lots of ways positive habits and tendencies can be fostered without flat-out going to war or taking thousand-dollar FoF training classes.

I'd also say you'd have to be conscious of realism, etc. Airsoft rifles holding 400 rounds that allow you to spam full-auto for 10 seconds at a time aren't going to be nearly as realistic as, for example, many of the handguns I've seen with realistic capacities and rates of fire. Similarly, for paintball, if everyone agreed to limit themselves to like 50 or even 20 rounds, it would make people a lot more conscious of exactly what each shot is accomplishing.

Last edited by Lindenwood; 07-31-2011 at 03:20 AM.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #14

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 89

While it's not exactly the "real" world, paintball is about as real as you can get without using real bullets. You simply need to limit yourself to actual scenarios and restrict the number of shots to realistic numbers. As has already been pointed out, a rosebush or cardboard box isn't going to stop a bullet in real life so you limit your cover and other props to what would be encountered in real word situations. Beyond that, you can keep most training exercises as realistic as you'd like. Just ensure that EVERYONE involved realizes this is a TRAINING exercise, they are NOT there to play games and the participants treat the event accordingly.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #15
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Paint ball is a lot of fun and I expect some advantage like taking/shooting from cover. I found when playing that I would take risks that I wouldn't with live rounds heading my way so that diminished the value but still was a lot of fun. There use to be a great local place that had this group of paint ball comando's that would hang out and wait for a group to show up to play. These guys took it way to serously, once when we were there they shot a guy on there team as soon as the horn blew because he wasn't part of there group. The guy was pizzed and while they argued about it we rushed them and sprayed paint all over them. The lead comando got truly upset because he said I shot him (several times) after he was already eliminated (he was still firing and trying to organize his comando's when I hit him). To solve the issue I shot him again and explained if your are eliminated your supose to shut up and return to base. Dam near truned into hand to hand but he thought better of it. We were there to have fun these guys were there to bully others. The owner converted the place into an archery range with a pretty sweet walk though with foam deer and bear to shoot in hunting situations. He claims it cleared out the the hastle no more comando's.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Unlike some, I think any "Gun Games" can be helpful in your quest to be ready for the real thing. The more you keep the senarios and rules realistic the better. I shoot IDPA and other defensive pistol matches not to win trophies and titles, but to have the chance to shoot various senarios and target arays of someone else's design. I use "real world" carry gear and avoid "gamming" the stages so that everything falls nicely into preplanned order as I go through. I'd bet that in a real world encounter nothing will go as planned, if you even had time to make a plan. So I say go for it, there is good training to be had in any "Gun Game" if you approach it that way.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #17

Likes Given: 3

Default ouch

I just shot myself in the foot intentionally with a small cloth over it, nice purple welt, pretty traumatic.

It's liek being punched with full follow-thru from an angry 16-yr. old girl.

marlin 1895sbl, g 30sf, wilson KZ45, & more
hoplophobia. : irrational fear of weapons as opposed to people.
odd : " oppositional defiance disorder. ", AKA having a spine. me to a tee.

... if the mafia was any bigger, it'd be our govt.
god guts gold guns, yeehaw
NAGR>NRA
45≠fat

Old 08-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailypoe View Post
I just shot myself in the foot intentionally with a small cloth over it, nice purple welt, pretty traumatic.

It's liek being punched with full follow-thru from an angry 16-yr. old girl.
now do that to your balls. your pain brings me great amusement.

we use to play woodsball rather than speedball. in full cammies, actual tactical gear. hell my right hand man wore a fully guille suit...strange thing was i was his assault man he was my machine gunner, i tried to explain it to him but he didnt want to hear it about his choice of outfit. other than the lessons my father thought me growing up, i learned hunting people is alot of fun. and A LOT of them have no idea how to hunt back.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."