paintball as tactical exercise ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > paintball as tactical exercise ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 3

Default paintball as tactical exercise ?

what do y'all think of paintball, as a training exercise ?
certainly not as instantaneous as actual bullets, you can see them whizzing by, but the level of realism is uncanny these day, there are paintball ar's and paintball ak's everywhere.
I just picked up a lovely tippmann 98 paitnabll "marker", and I'm taking out out in the woods with some buddies. What do you guys think ? Ever heard of this ?

marlin 1895sbl, g 30sf, wilson KZ45, & more
hoplophobia. : irrational fear of weapons as opposed to people.
odd : " oppositional defiance disorder. ", AKA having a spine. me to a tee.

... if the mafia was any bigger, it'd be our govt.
god guts gold guns, yeehaw
NAGR>NRA
45≠fat

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #2

Liked 1859 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 1231

I paintball. It is a blast. But as far as tactical training...umm, I would never try to use a bush as cover if real ammo was being used. But it can be a lot of fun just the same.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #3

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

One thing that all my years of watching the A-Team has taught me is that bushes are indestructible.

But really, I could see that. I've done paintball. If set up right I don't see why not.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5738 Times on 2997 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailypoe View Post
what do y'all think of paintball, as a training exercise ?
certainly not as instantaneous as actual bullets, you can see them whizzing by, but the level of realism is uncanny these day, there are paintball ar's and paintball ak's everywhere.
I just picked up a lovely tippmann 98 paitnabll "marker", and I'm taking out out in the woods with some buddies. What do you guys think ? Ever heard of this ?
my mp unit tried it once as a training experiment. we were SUPPOSED to use the paintguns as a force on force exercise in mout traing. by the time we got to the range we had expended all the paintballs shooting at each others hmmvw...

for some units it is NOT a good tool

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

If you do speedball, it would simulate fighting an opponent with a firearm possibly representing your house - how to look for cover, move quickly and remain behind cover. But shooting 200 rounds per match is a little unrealistic. Plus most defensive shootings happen withing 21 feet.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 07-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #6

using paintball items as a tool for tactical training is good idea. thinking of speed ball and such as tactical training, not so good, but it does teach fundimentals. find cover, shoot first, head on swivel, of that nature.

i will say during the various years of tactical training ive helped teach. id take a 17 year old kid with a good head on his shoulders whos played paintball since he was little, than a 30 year old good ol'boy whos been hunting all his life.

*edit* if people on here do their damnest to relate airsoft to real firefights, you should feel safe saying paintball provides some form of tactical training -

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Last edited by usmcprofessional; 07-24-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1333 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Airsoft has many exact copies of real pistols with working slides, safeties and magazines so with glasses and long sleeves, you can practice speed draw from cover, engaging multiple targets, house clearing, almost anything you can think of and get your friends to carry an axe and be a "perp" and actually shoot them! Costs are reasonable and even some police departments are using Airsoft for training.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I played paintball for years and while fun, I'd hate to use the tactics in real life. Or fall into old habits. Tried to get a neighbor who was DEA to go along and he said no thanks. Said they used simunitions and it hurt enough to keep folks from getting bad habits. Made sense to me.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
i will say during the various years of tactical training ive helped teach. id take a 17 year old kid with a good head on his shoulders whos played paintball since he was little, than a 30 year old good ol'boy whos been hunting all his life.

-
give me the good ol'boy and we'll see who wins.. maybe im just biased. keeping your head on a swivel is the name of the game when whitetail stalking.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
give me the good ol'boy and we'll see who wins.. maybe im just biased. keeping your head on a swivel is the name of the game when whitetail stalking.
whitetailed deer dosent hunt back

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."