Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   paintball as tactical exercise ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/paintball-tactical-exercise-45647/)

Tailypoe 07-22-2011 09:08 PM

paintball as tactical exercise ?

what do y'all think of paintball, as a training exercise ?
certainly not as instantaneous as actual bullets, you can see them whizzing by, but the level of realism is uncanny these day, there are paintball ar's and paintball ak's everywhere.
I just picked up a lovely tippmann 98 paitnabll "marker", and I'm taking out out in the woods with some buddies. What do you guys think ? Ever heard of this ?

Rick1967 07-22-2011 09:56 PM

I paintball. It is a blast. But as far as tactical training...umm, I would never try to use a bush as cover if real ammo was being used. But it can be a lot of fun just the same.

Polygon 07-22-2011 10:20 PM

One thing that all my years of watching the A-Team has taught me is that bushes are indestructible.

But really, I could see that. I've done paintball. If set up right I don't see why not.

JonM 07-22-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailypoe (Post 547986)
what do y'all think of paintball, as a training exercise ?
certainly not as instantaneous as actual bullets, you can see them whizzing by, but the level of realism is uncanny these day, there are paintball ar's and paintball ak's everywhere.
I just picked up a lovely tippmann 98 paitnabll "marker", and I'm taking out out in the woods with some buddies. What do you guys think ? Ever heard of this ?

my mp unit tried it once as a training experiment. we were SUPPOSED to use the paintguns as a force on force exercise in mout traing. by the time we got to the range we had expended all the paintballs shooting at each others hmmvw...

for some units it is NOT a good tool

dnthmn2004 07-22-2011 11:13 PM

If you do speedball, it would simulate fighting an opponent with a firearm possibly representing your house - how to look for cover, move quickly and remain behind cover. But shooting 200 rounds per match is a little unrealistic. Plus most defensive shootings happen withing 21 feet.

usmcprofessional 07-24-2011 01:27 PM

using paintball items as a tool for tactical training is good idea. thinking of speed ball and such as tactical training, not so good, but it does teach fundimentals. find cover, shoot first, head on swivel, of that nature.

i will say during the various years of tactical training ive helped teach. id take a 17 year old kid with a good head on his shoulders whos played paintball since he was little, than a 30 year old good ol'boy whos been hunting all his life.

*edit* if people on here do their damnest to relate airsoft to real firefights, you should feel safe saying paintball provides some form of tactical training -

TekGreg 07-27-2011 10:03 AM

Airsoft has many exact copies of real pistols with working slides, safeties and magazines so with glasses and long sleeves, you can practice speed draw from cover, engaging multiple targets, house clearing, almost anything you can think of and get your friends to carry an axe and be a "perp" and actually shoot them! Costs are reasonable and even some police departments are using Airsoft for training.

NativH 07-27-2011 08:55 PM

I played paintball for years and while fun, I'd hate to use the tactics in real life. Or fall into old habits. Tried to get a neighbor who was DEA to go along and he said no thanks. Said they used simunitions and it hurt enough to keep folks from getting bad habits. Made sense to me.

jjfuller1 07-27-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcprofessional (Post 548916)
i will say during the various years of tactical training ive helped teach. id take a 17 year old kid with a good head on his shoulders whos played paintball since he was little, than a 30 year old good ol'boy whos been hunting all his life.

-

give me the good ol'boy and we'll see who wins.. maybe im just biased. keeping your head on a swivel is the name of the game when whitetail stalking.

usmcprofessional 07-27-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1 (Post 551107)
give me the good ol'boy and we'll see who wins.. maybe im just biased. keeping your head on a swivel is the name of the game when whitetail stalking.

whitetailed deer dosent hunt back