Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Ouch!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
Of course they would. Great Guns (39, 59, 69).
That is if you can get your hand around the double stack grip.
It's got weight, It's got DA and hammer for SA and decent sights.

and it has a slide safety rather than the trigger wiggler.

Send Forum Good wishes to the kid!..
But they do not need the safety and it is NEVER used by anyone I know that carried or carries that series of handgun. It is used as a de-cocker only!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 09-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #72
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

UPDATE

He is back to work and school as of Monday. It is healing ok.
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. It could have been MUCH worse!
Jim

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 09-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #73

Liked 209 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think a lot of people shoot more accurately with guns other than Glocks for more than one reason :
Reason #1 : The Glock isn't as comfortable to grip .
Reason #2 : The Glock's weight and balance change noticably as ammunition is expended .
Reason #3 : The Glock trigger can be creepy and inconsistant, problems overcome if you fire with a true compressed surprise break .
Reason #4 : Some other guns may have a longer sight radius .
Reason #6 : Heavier guns are easier to hold steady ( for most shooters ) .

That said, guys like " Hickok 45 " on YouTube and competitive shooters like Tori Nonaka ( also seen on YouTube ) do amazing work with Glocks .

Old 09-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
I think a lot of people shoot more accurately with guns other than Glocks for more than one reason :
Reason #1 : The Glock isn't as comfortable to grip .
Reason #2 : The Glock's weight and balance change noticably as ammunition is expended .
Reason #3 : The Glock trigger can be creepy and inconsistant, problems overcome if you fire with a true compressed surprise break .
Reason #4 : Some other guns may have a longer sight radius .
Reason #6 : Heavier guns are easier to hold steady ( for most shooters ) .

That said, guys like " Hickok 45 " on YouTube and competitive shooters like Tori Nonaka ( also seen on YouTube ) do amazing work with Glocks .
1 and 3 where the main problem I could not shoot the glock as well as some other platforms.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #75
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well he has healed up completely with just a scar to remind him of his stupidity. He finally admitted he screwed up but he is still a little too arrogant about it. I hope he learned his lesson.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #76

Liked 1908 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Well he has healed up completely with just a scar to remind him of his stupidity. He finally admitted he screwed up but he is still a little too arrogant about it. I hope he learned his lesson.
Glad to hear he's healing up. It may atake a while for the youthful indestructable attitude to come into line. Bet he learned more than he'll admit for awhile.

Had a patient who shot himself in the leg with a 1911 a couple weeks ago. Second time I've seen a similar self inflicted wound with a 1911. Both these guys were very lucky. Both did the same exact thing and were trying to clear the gun and do a cleaning. They had dropped the mag and then when going to cycle teh slide to clear the chamber, they had fingers inside the trigger guard. Each of these guys was sitting down and had the muzzle pointed at their lower leg. Both managed to "thread the needle" and get the bullet to pass between the Tibia and Fibula, and miss the major arteries and nerves. Clean entry and exit from both. Both had FMJ rounds loaded at the time of injury. Both had pretty minimal blood loss or tissue damage. Both were still up and walking the day of the injury.

Defies the odds that I'd get to see two injuries so similar, from similar guns. The cardinal rules would have protected both of these guys, as well as your grandson. Good training on safety can come form this thread. Thanks for sharing Jim.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:53 AM   #77

According to the BATF Glock pistols are double-action handguns. Why? Because the striker isn't fully tensioned in the same way that, say, a Springfield XD is. Personally, I don't agree with this logic; and I am more inclined to agree with your, single-action definition. The BATF's definition, however, appears to be largely political, and allows the BATF to circumvent their own rules on imported foreign pistols.

What happened to your grandson is exactly, 'Why' I strongly advise neophyte gunmen to avoid all striker fired pistols - Especially the ones without a manually applied external safety! I, also, have a pet peeve about this: I've long held to the opinion that nobody should be allowed to purchase or use a firearm without receiving formal firearm safety training.

(I know; I know; but every inalienable right needs to be interpreted within the environment in which it is most often applied. We're NOT a nation of armed frontiersmen, anymore. Our principal firearms are NOT single-shot flintlocks; and guns and how to safely handle them are no longer, 'second nature' to most people. In a very real sense today's gun owners are victimized by modern technology; and all guns need to be approached and handled in a particularly cautious manner.)

Sorry about the boy. He's young, though; and his body still has plenty of time to continue growing and heal.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:50 AM   #78

Liked 209 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Regarding the above post :
The authoritarian mindset rears its ugly head again, I see . This time it is mandatory training for anyone exercising his right to own a gun . Last time it was mandatory air bags and seat belt use, a mandatory law degree before you can assist a defendant in our courts, a license required of you to be a real estate salesman and more and more training for security guards ( How could I forget that one ? ) . Now they are pondering whether to force TSA employees to carry guns against their will or to continue to prohibit them from carrying guns . No one is even considering giving them the option of carrying guns ( freedom ) because the authoritarian, nanny state, protect us from ourselves ethos is all we know today .
As Objectivist philosophy teaches, government's proper function is to protect the rights of its citizens and nothing more . Visit www.aynrand.org to learn how to defend individual rights .

Old 11-29-2013, 02:58 AM   #79
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5107 Times on 2657 Posts
Likes Given: 310

the design of glocks arent any different than a revolver. keep your finger off the trigger it wont go boom.

saying someone should be forced to have training to excersise their right to keep and bear arms cuz flintlocks arent the norm is like saying you need to be trained to vote or talk or have permits to travel about the country...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 11-29-2013, 04:42 AM   #80

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm still shaking my head that ANYONE would put there hand in front of ANY gun that was loaded. Accidents happen. THAT is NOT an accident.