Ouch!!!! - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Ouch!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2024 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 990

It will not turn him away from 'guns'. He is a VERY good shot and has a naturally high mechanical aptitude and he can 'fix' about anything mechanical and wants to become a gunsmith. He is considering enlisting in the Marines and trying out for sniper school.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This 
Old 09-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #52

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Outstanding!
Then like with many of us it will be a lesson that I'll wager he will never forget. I'd say just about all of us have done something we wish never happened while handling a gun at one point in our lives.This will just make him a more careful person when handling a weapon.

Ah to be young again.....

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau
He is considering enlisting in the Marines and trying out for sniper school.
Oh boy. Good luck to him. I hope he makes it. Make sure he knows he can't enlist for Scout Sniper specifically. He will have to go infantry and try SS. I hope he makes it.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:31 AM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Oh boy. Good luck to him. I hope he makes it. Make sure he knows he can't enlist for Scout Sniper specifically. He will have to go infantry and try SS. I hope he makes it.
He is aware of that. That is why I said he would try out for SS. He, like two of my nephews, are VERY reluctant to join the military while we have a Community Organiser/College Professor-in-Chief, not a Commander-in-Chief!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 09-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau

He is aware of that. That is why I said he would try out for SS. He, like two of my nephews, are VERY reluctant to join the military while we have a Community Organiser/College Professor-in-Chief, not a Commander-in-Chief!!!
Can't blame them there. But you can't always pick and choose who your boss is gonna be.

For example, if they enlist under the next president, and decide to make the military a career, I'm sure eventually they'll have a bad president in office while they're serving.

Always have clean socks.

WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 09-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #56

Liked 247 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Jim-
We still don't have a clear picture of how this accident happened . Since you started this discussion, I think it behooves you to get the facts and report them to us --especially if you are using this incident to illustrate why you consider Glock's design unsafe .
Some of your comments are a bit personal in nature . You should argue by presenting facts ; If the person you disagree with is ignorant, that will become apparent without your having to say so .
__________________________________________________ _________________________________
Someone questioned my comment on Glock accidents being rare among guards and cops, wondering, " Rare in comparison to what ? ".
Answer : I don't have figures and comparisons. I was giving my opinion based on all of the input I have . When you think of all of the lead that goes downrange, the many times the guns are drawn, cleaned, " manipulated " etc. , accidents are rare .

Old 09-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

From 900 miles away it is hard to get the details. When I get back to CO, hopefully in the not to distant future, I will sit down with my Grandson and get a more detailed explanation. Until then I will just check to make sure he is doing ok and hope he learned from his FU.

Any single action firearm carried ready to fire without an active safety is unsafe no matter who manufactures it. That is just common sense and no amount of marketing and indoctrination will ever change that!

towboater Likes This 
Old 09-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #58

JimRau-
900 miles isn't very far on the Internet . Maybe your grandson could fill you in via IM, Skype, Twitter, posting a YouTube video, magic jack phone, email... Okay, I'll wait until you talk to him !

As to your statement that " Any single action firearm carried ready to fire without an active safety is unsafe ..." : If the Glock is carried in a holster that covers the trigger area, it is safe . That is just common sense ...

Old 09-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
JimRau-
900 miles isn't very far on the Internet . Maybe your grandson could fill you in via IM, Skype, Twitter, posting a YouTube video, magic jack phone, email... Okay, I'll wait until you talk to him !

As to your statement that " Any single action firearm carried ready to fire without an active safety is unsafe ..." : If the Glock is carried in a holster that covers the trigger area, it is safe . That is just common sense ...
True, it is safe until a human hand removes it from the holster!!!

towboater Likes This 
Old 09-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #60

JimRau,
Your point is well-taken .

Suppose though, that we're considering a 1911 instead . The 1911's thumb safety and grip safety are deactivated in the act of drawing the gun so it is still important to obey Rule #3 . There are people who will handle the 1911 less carefully because " the safety's on " and the safety can be accidentally wiped off .
What if you need to fire at an assailant ? The 1911 safety may slow you down a little but it certainly won't speed you up . One could fumble or forget the safety also . In other words, a safety protects you from yourself but the Glock's mechanism protects you from others .
Opinions will differ on the Glock but may I ask what you are afraid will happen when a human hand draws a Glock ?
I'm betting that you are imagining someone absent-mindedly putting his finger on the trigger, unknowingly taking up the slack, and accidentally pulling a 5 pound + trigger --all of this while the gun is pointed at his leg . It happens but not very often .
One man will say it is your fault if you can't keep your finger off the trigger . Another man will say that someone is bound to make a mistake and hit the trigger so the trigger pull should be long and heavy . As I said, opinions will differ .