Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Ouch!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 108 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I sure do own several revolver, double action ones!! They are the safest handguns around. Some DAO autos like the 6953 run a close second!
If you are implying any similarity of a glock to a double action revolver you need to come back to reality and learn some common sense!!
Really now. Where is the safety on a DA revolver? And, since you insist on turning this into a Glock bashing thread, I guess we can assume your disdain for the Glock applies to all semi-autos with trigger safeties (Smith M&P for example). Suppose you tell us what semi-auto does qualify as safe in your world. 1911 perhaps? The 1911 has a grip safety and a thumb safety but I still won't "manipulate" one with a round in the chamber, will you? It is still possible to shoot yourself with a 1911 if you do not follow the rules of firearms safety. Same goes for a DA revolver. Bottom line: any gun is only as safe as the person handling it. Is that enough reality and common sense for you?

Old 09-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #42

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Let's get this straight for any uninitiated readers here :
Glocks are not single-action . They are " safe-action" . Their triggers are equipped with trigger safeties so they can't be fired by dragging something along the side of the trigger . The trigger is two-stage, including take-up and a final firing stage . As the trigger is pulled, the striker spring is compressed and released .
It is still fair to complain that a light trigger and no thumb safety or grip safety make the gun less safe . My best answer is to keep the Glock in a good holster so the trigger can't be pulled unless the gun is removed from the holster . Then, handle it carefully as soon as it clears leather .
Glocks are used by many police officers and security guards who've never fired a gun before taking the job . Even so, accidents are rare .
The Safe action is somewhat comparable to a DA that is half cocked. So they are not single or doubler action in the true sense of the word.
That being said though you can count Glock safeties till hell freezes over and it comes down to the trigger has to be pulled to fire. No different than say a Sig P226 that has no safety. That little stupid batten has about as much use as the lack of one has on the 226. Keep your finger out of the guard and it wont fire either way.

To the OP. Sorry about your grandson. A painful lesson was learned. I hope he recovers quickly and gets to put some rounds down range soon

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackxpress

Really now. Where is the safety on a DA revolver? And, since you insist on turning this into a Glock bashing thread, I guess we can assume your disdain for the Glock applies to all semi-autos with trigger safeties (Smith M&P for example). Suppose you tell us what semi-auto does qualify as safe in your world. 1911 perhaps? The 1911 has a grip safety and a thumb safety but I still won't "manipulate" one with a round in the chamber, will you? It is still possible to shoot yourself with a 1911 if you do not follow the rules of firearms safety. Same goes for a DA revolver. Bottom line: any gun is only as safe as the person handling it. Is that enough reality and common sense for you?
You need to stop being terse. Also kindly point out where he turned this into a Glock bashing thread.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #44
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2005 Times on 1089 Posts
Likes Given: 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Let's get this straight for any uninitiated readers here :
Glocks are not single-action . They are " safe-action" .
"Safe-action" is a marketing term made up by Glock. It is not a technical term describing the function of firearms. Double action, perhaps light double action is a more accurate technical description of how a Glock works.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 09-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1603 Times on 952 Posts
Likes Given: 788

I am not 'bashing' Glock. Simply stating facts and being honest is not 'bashing'! I just don't like the lies they tell about them to sell them! They are no more 'double action' nor any safer than a 1911 at full cock and the safety off is. There is no similarity between a Glock and double action revolver. But lets not confuse this with facts and reality.
Glocks are reliable accurate shooting machines and if you can live with their 'UNSAFE ACTION' so be it.
The only thing Glock does better than other shooting machine manufacturers is marketing! Most of the new shooting machines on the market today, including Glock, are VERY good and if you do your part they will do theirs.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 09-09-2013 at 03:03 PM.
towboater Likes This 
Old 09-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #46

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Hope the boy recovers fully. A painful lesson, but the one bright side may be that this type lesson is often the one never forgotten. Who knows, this incident could be the one that saves this boy and/or some of his friends, on some future date.

"No one knows what it's like to be the badman"...-The Who

Old 09-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman400 View Post
Hope the boy recovers fully. A painful lesson, but the one bright side may be that this type lesson is often the one never forgotten. Who knows, this incident could be the one that saves this boy and/or some of his friends, on some future date.
Thank you. My thoughts exactly. He is an arrogant 18 year old, so I'm hoping this teaches him humility. I know the first time I 'let one go' it humbled me even though no one was hurt!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 09-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #48

Quote:
Thank you. My thoughts exactly. He is an arrogant 18 year old, so I'm hoping this teaches him humility. I know the first time I 'let one go' it humbled me even though no one was hurt!!!
For me anyway I think humbling was a bit of an understatement. It's a very quick lesson in you best have your head on straight or someone is going to get hurt. That was the case in my youth anyway.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
For me anyway I think humbling was a bit of an understatement. It's a very quick lesson in you best have your head on straight or someone is going to get hurt. That was the case in my youth anyway.
I have been 'handing' guns for 60+ years and I have had several 'unintentional' discharges and, thank GOD, no one has been hurt. But this is because when ever I am 'handling' guns I make it a point to always abide by the second or third (depending on who is teaching) safety rule (always keep the muzzle point is a safe direction) just in case I violate the first!!!
It is my opinion this is more important than all the other rules.

Last edited by JimRau; 09-09-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #50

Quote:
I have been 'handing' guns for 60+ years and I have had several 'unintentional' discharges and, thank GOD, no one has been hurt. But this is because when ever I am 'handling' guns I make it a point to always abide by the second safety rule (keep the muzzle point is a safe direction) just in case I violate the first!!!
It is my opinion this is more important than all the other rules.
Agreed 100% I've been shooting for a little over 40 years and have had a unintended discharge. I was pretty young and it was that rule that kept anything bad from happening. That was a real eye opener. I remember thinking that if I had had the gun up and let it fly all the bad things that could have happened. It was that incident that got me to really understand that any round I shot I was responsible for till it stopped moving. I always knew that but it really hit home for me then. I kept thinking "oh man, if I had hurt someone with that kind of stupidity I'd never be able to forgive myself". I thought my Dad was going to kill me once he got to the point he knew no one including me was hurt. I believe it scared him as much as me.

Again I'm very glad it was not worse for the young man and I do hope he heals fast and never forgets the lesson. I also hope it doesn't turn him away from the sport/pastime of shooting.

Thomas Jefferson