Organizing Gun Collection
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Organizing Gun Collection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 53 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Organizing Gun Collection

I need help, my father and I are fixing to start making a file for all of our guns including pictures serial numbers and etc. I don't really know exactly how I want to categorize everything and how I want to file it, i.e. on an excel document, just plain white paper filed old school style or whatever.

So does anyone have any suggestions on the best approach to this. Please don't tell me not to do it, because that isn't an option.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #2

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

I keep one copy on an excel spreadsheet and another in a purchased firearms log from Amazon.com as a C&R license holder it is required to keep the book of all the firearms I purchase with the license.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2537 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

MCarter,

What I did, is first got a bright green piece of cloth that I could lay the weapon/s on. Be sure it is big enough for enough border with the long guns on it! Got it at Walmart it is a very light, bright green!
I then took a Medium Sized Black Permanent Marker and on the Large Index Cards in Big Letters, I put the *Manufacturer at the top of the card followed by the *Model Number under that and then the *Caliber or *Gauge under that. Then the *Serial Number at the bottom. You need a big enough card that you can read and photo the information easily from above. I then placed the cloth on the floor with the weapon and the card on it. Where applicable in some cases I could put more than one weapon on the cloth at a time. I then got a small ladder and took Digital Pictures of all the weapons straight down on them from the ladder. I took the Camera and downloaded the Digital Pictures from the Camera to 2 additional separate thumb drives to secure additional copies should I loose or damage one while still keeping the Originals on the Camera Card. Then I also typed out a complete itemized list of all the weapons. Manufacturer, Model, Serial Number. And below each there is a section for a little history about the weapon, as well as a present estimated value with *Date of the estimate since the value can change. In addition on each made an entry and special notes: *KEEP SAKE (A Family Keep Sake and who it was to go to on my passing) *COLLECTOR PIECE and etcetera! Those to be sold and those to be passed down to family. The picture are more than just a record. They could also be invaluable in case of loss, theft or a fire to prove the condition of the weapons. It takes time but gives you a good piece of mind. And once done it is easy to add any new additional weapons you would purchase. Just shoot a picture and add it on to your thumb drives and record sheet.
Just some ideas! But this is how my set up is!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 03-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarter788 View Post
I need help, my father and I are fixing to start making a file for all of our guns including pictures serial numbers and etc. I don't really know exactly how I want to categorize everything and how I want to file it, i.e. on an excel document, just plain white paper filed old school style or whatever.

So does anyone have any suggestions on the best approach to this. Please don't tell me not to do it, because that isn't an option.
An MS Word file (make, model, serial #) works for us. I also keep a list of the guns I've sold (simply marked as "sold" with the 5W / who, what, when, where, why). Also, I print my file about once a year so there are 2 copies (electronic + hard copy).

If it's an exceptionally large collection, MS Excel might be a better option as it will allow data sorting. A category scheme might be:
make, model, serial number, owner, location, purchase price, current value, date of manufacture, type (pistol, rifle, submachine gun ), etc.

Joe

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Old 03-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

I use Microsoft Access, find it easy to set up headers for the types of info I include in the file such as serial numbers, date of manufacture, model, cost, current worth etc. Works great for me.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #6

These are all very helpful, thank yall for the suggestions.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #7

Liked 28 Times on 17 Posts

There is great app called MyGunDB, which is desktop and iPhone. Just google it. You can track just about anything relevant with it, add photos, etc.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixfix View Post
There is great app called MyGunDB, which is desktop and iPhone. Just google it. You can track just about anything relevant with it, add photos, etc.
Thats great! I will try that app out because I do use apple products.

One more question, I want to add a Condition section to my documentation and I need a standard grading scale that I can use. Does anyone have any suggestions so that the condition that I have in my file is not just a personal impression but more of a grading scale.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Might look at these:

http://www.1stclassfirearms.com/Grading.htm

http://www.armchairgunshow.com/Condition-NRA-Guns.htm

Old 04-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1576 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 8106

The log that I set up for the family guns and bows is done on an Abi-Word document (Think Microsoft word, but fre download), a hard copy is in the files with my owner's manuals, and pictures of the guns. A back-up copy is on CD in my fire safe. I used the same method as Sniper'03 as far as the pictures go, different color on the felt (electric blue), but same set up. Here is the lay out I used:

Name, make, model, caliber\gauge.

S\N
BBL (length and color)
Action
Choke
Furniture
gauge\caliber
Capacity
Sights
Purchased
Transfered

if it is used for riles or pistols, some things are not on the list. Same thing with bows, and the crossbow. Hope this helps.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?