Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Operators? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/operators-75954/)

Rugers9 11-08-2012 06:28 PM

Operators?

What does it mean when this "OPERATOR" term is used in the gun community?

KG7IL 11-08-2012 11:57 PM

After looking this up I think it's number 6

op·er·a·tor   [op-uh-rey-ter] Show IPA
noun
  1. a person who operates a machine, apparatus, or the like: a telegraph operator.
  2. a person who operates a telephone switchboard, especially for a telephone company.
  3. a person who manages a working or industrial establishment, enterprise, or system: the operators of a mine.
  4. a person who trades in securities, especially speculatively or on a large scale.
  5. a person who performs a surgical operation; a surgeon.
  6. a person who operates a forum thread.

jjfuller1 11-09-2012 12:08 AM

also number 1.. isnt a rifle just a simple machine??

Rugers9 11-09-2012 12:32 AM

I am meaning as in operating a firearm. I heard this term tossed around mostly by very experienced and welled train individuals. Anyone?

spittinfire 11-09-2012 12:35 AM

They answer phone calls.

danf_fl 11-09-2012 12:37 AM

In a simple term, the person pulling the trigger is considered an operator.
An example: With the self contained cartridge loaded, all the operator has to do is pull the trigger.

Or a smooth person, like "Spit is a smooth operator..."
Rugers9, could you give an example?

trip286 11-09-2012 12:45 AM

Usually combat arms personnel. Grunts, special forces, ground pounders. Those whose livelihood and paycheck depends on kill or be killed.

Many mall ninjas claim to be "operators" or talk about "operators". Interestingly, it's MOSTLY mall ninjas I hear using that term. Or non combat personnel, such as legal admin clerks, cooks, pencil Wranglers and paper pushers.

I have very, extremely rarely, heard actual combat personnel, spec ops, or anyone paid to efficiently dispose of this nations enemies, actually use the word "operator".

I run into young men all the time who want to tell me about their time in the service. As soon as they say "Yyyeeeepppp (long drawl here), I was an operator" my bull **** meter goes from zero to "oh **** you, you lying sack of ****" within nano seconds.

Rugers9 11-09-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286
Usually combat arms personnel. Grunts, special forces, ground pounders. Those whose livelihood and paycheck depends on kill or be killed.

Many mall ninjas claim to be "operators" or talk about "operators". Interestingly, it's MOSTLY mall ninjas I hear using that term. Or non combat personnel, such as legal admin clerks, cooks, pencil Wranglers and paper pushers.

I have very, extremely rarely, heard actual combat personnel, spec ops, or anyone paid to efficiently dispose of this nations enemies, actually use the word "operator".

I run into young men all the time who want to tell me about their time in the service. As soon as they say "Yyyeeeepppp (long drawl here), I was an operator" my bull **** meter goes from zero to "oh **** you, you lying sack of ****" within nano seconds.

Thanks this explains it

spittinfire 11-09-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1007222)

Anyone who refers to themselves as an operator is just a d bag. That would be like Marlyn saying, "yep, I'm a sex symbol." She just went from sexy to b!$ch in a heartbeat.

trip286 11-09-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugers9

Thanks this explains it

Quite welcome. One way to tell a bull spitter from the real deal, simply ask "what was your MOS?". If they say anything other than rattling off a number (or number letter combo), they are trying to bull spit you most likely. I often hear, "oh you know, I was a trigger puller." Me: "oh? What weapon were you issued?" Poser: "uh, it was like the M16 but smaller, full auto, and had a long strip thingy of boolits. In 9 millimeter ought 38-40" or some similar crap.

Ask an MOS, and most REAL vets will think you know what's up. You can then ask, "oh, what does eleven-bravo/ohthreeeleven/ohthreefortyone mean?" And you'll get a more detailed explanation.

Just know, some of the real deal actually use "operator". I've just rarely seen it myself outside of posers. Ask jjfuller, he's one of the newest breed Marines. He could tell you if it's become way more common.