Online gun edumacation courses. Will they learn me any good?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Online gun edumacation courses. Will they learn me any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Online gun edumacation courses. Will they learn me any good?

I have seen a few "online schools" out there. Are they worth checking out?

Also i came across this 7 set of DVDs that go over several topics. They are done by Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch. I really like the videos i have seen of his. Anyone recommend him, or know about these videos in particular:
Thunder Ranch Training Series

I have a way to get them at least under $200 maybe better (they are listed at over $400 for all 7).

All training i have done in the past has been by my FBI Ballistics expert neighbor, or a paid class (in person). Do you think DVD's would be a good supplement (along with some classes i am going to be taking). Things are about to get busy for me for a while again, plus i pretty much hate TV anymore- nothing good on and College football is almost over. I thought watching these would be better that all the other crap that is on when i try to go to sleep.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7104 Times on 4275 Posts
Likes Given: 8611

Hmmm, interesting. I'm trying to learn, too, and find it difficult to learn just reading here on the forum as I don't always understand the lingo. I never thought about DVD's. I'm curious to read the opinions of the more experienced people here

Old 11-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Hmmm, interesting. I'm trying to learn, too, and find it difficult to learn just reading here on the forum as I don't always understand the lingo. I never thought about DVD's. I'm curious to read the opinions of the more experienced people here
Hey girl, if there's something you don't quite understand, never be afraid to ask. The only dumb question is the one that's not asked.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
The only dumb question is the one that's not asked.
Give me some time before you judge me...

Old 11-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I know you need someone to watch and grade you on what you're doing, but i think that doing these in conjunction with training would be good (if the dvds are good). If you're interested, i can see if i cant pull some strings for a discount for you too. Just let me know.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I honestly think there is no substitute for hands on and face to face instruction. You learn and retain more in a classroom and you cant just get up and do something else like you would do at home.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theferg2000 View Post
Give me some time before you judge me...
I was addressing the other girl. I was not judging you. Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #8

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Online gun edumacation courses. Will they learn me any good?

I think you would be better served by taking some English and grammar classes first!

Old 12-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #9

Default Be wary of DVD or online training....

Having said that, I HIGHLY recommend the Clint Smith Thunder Ranch series to EVERY person who carries a gun or goes in harm's way. If you can afford it, hands on training with Clint Smith is highly recommended. No Hollywood glitzy production values, but good solid information that might help us stay alive.

He is a retired Marine, and knows of what he speaks. Getting his set of videos for a good price would be great.

Some of the non- Thunder Ranch videos I have seen have been of questionable use and included incorrect and even dangerous information.

I would also recommend Massad Ayoob's articles, books or videos. He is ( and has been) a working LEO and expert witness in many firearms related trials.

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I think you would be better served by taking some English and grammar classes first!
What? I am a highly edumacated Kentucky boy. They learned me real good here. Even got me a pair of shoes last week!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmons View Post
Having said that, I HIGHLY recommend the Clint Smith Thunder Ranch series to EVERY person who carries a gun or goes in harm's way. If you can afford it, hands on training with Clint Smith is highly recommended. No Hollywood glitzy production values, but good solid information that might help us stay alive.

He is a retired Marine, and knows of what he speaks. Getting his set of videos for a good price would be great.

Some of the non- Thunder Ranch videos I have seen have been of questionable use and included incorrect and even dangerous information.

I would also recommend Massad Ayoob's articles, books or videos. He is ( and has been) a working LEO and expert witness in many firearms related trials.
Thanks for your input. I can get the 7 dvd series for under $200, so i think i am going to go with it. Sarge gave me a good review on the videos too.