Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Online gun edumacation courses. Will they learn me any good? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/online-gun-edumacation-courses-will-they-learn-me-any-good-35014/)

theferg2000 11-30-2010 04:39 PM

Online gun edumacation courses. Will they learn me any good?

I have seen a few "online schools" out there. Are they worth checking out?

Also i came across this 7 set of DVDs that go over several topics. They are done by Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch. I really like the videos i have seen of his. Anyone recommend him, or know about these videos in particular:
Thunder Ranch Training Series

I have a way to get them at least under $200 maybe better (they are listed at over $400 for all 7).

All training i have done in the past has been by my FBI Ballistics expert neighbor, or a paid class (in person). Do you think DVD's would be a good supplement (along with some classes i am going to be taking). Things are about to get busy for me for a while again, plus i pretty much hate TV anymore- nothing good on and College football is almost over. I thought watching these would be better that all the other crap that is on when i try to go to sleep.

winds-of-change 11-30-2010 05:10 PM

Hmmm, interesting. I'm trying to learn, too, and find it difficult to learn just reading here on the forum as I don't always understand the lingo. I never thought about DVD's. I'm curious to read the opinions of the more experienced people here

hunter Joe 11-30-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 394646)
Hmmm, interesting. I'm trying to learn, too, and find it difficult to learn just reading here on the forum as I don't always understand the lingo. I never thought about DVD's. I'm curious to read the opinions of the more experienced people here

Hey girl, if there's something you don't quite understand, never be afraid to ask. The only dumb question is the one that's not asked.

theferg2000 11-30-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter Joe (Post 394651)
The only dumb question is the one that's not asked.

Give me some time before you judge me...:D

theferg2000 11-30-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 394646)

I know you need someone to watch and grade you on what you're doing, but i think that doing these in conjunction with training would be good (if the dvds are good). If you're interested, i can see if i cant pull some strings for a discount for you too. Just let me know.

doctherock 11-30-2010 07:18 PM

I honestly think there is no substitute for hands on and face to face instruction. You learn and retain more in a classroom and you cant just get up and do something else like you would do at home.

hunter Joe 12-01-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theferg2000 (Post 394693)
Give me some time before you judge me...:D

I was addressing the other girl. I was not judging you. Joe

lonyaeger 12-01-2010 06:00 PM

Online gun edumacation courses. Will they learn me any good?

I think you would be better served by taking some English and grammar classes first!

allmons 12-01-2010 06:19 PM

Be wary of DVD or online training....

Having said that, I HIGHLY recommend the Clint Smith Thunder Ranch series to EVERY person who carries a gun or goes in harm's way. If you can afford it, hands on training with Clint Smith is highly recommended. No Hollywood glitzy production values, but good solid information that might help us stay alive.

He is a retired Marine, and knows of what he speaks. Getting his set of videos for a good price would be great.

Some of the non- Thunder Ranch videos I have seen have been of questionable use and included incorrect and even dangerous information.

I would also recommend Massad Ayoob's articles, books or videos. He is ( and has been) a working LEO and expert witness in many firearms related trials.
:cool:

theferg2000 12-01-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 395276)
I think you would be better served by taking some English and grammar classes first!

What? I am a highly edumacated Kentucky boy. They learned me real good here. Even got me a pair of shoes last week!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by allmons (Post 395283)
Having said that, I HIGHLY recommend the Clint Smith Thunder Ranch series to EVERY person who carries a gun or goes in harm's way. If you can afford it, hands on training with Clint Smith is highly recommended. No Hollywood glitzy production values, but good solid information that might help us stay alive.

He is a retired Marine, and knows of what he speaks. Getting his set of videos for a good price would be great.

Some of the non- Thunder Ranch videos I have seen have been of questionable use and included incorrect and even dangerous information.

I would also recommend Massad Ayoob's articles, books or videos. He is ( and has been) a working LEO and expert witness in many firearms related trials.
:cool:

Thanks for your input. I can get the 7 dvd series for under $200, so i think i am going to go with it. Sarge gave me a good review on the videos too.