Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > one eye or both

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default one eye or both

my wife asked me a question and I don't really know how to answer it, is it better to shoot with both eyes open or just one, does it even matter?

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

What ever works the best for you and yours and you hit what your aiming at. So I suppose it doesn't matter. I shoot with both eyes open FWIW.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6671 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 7921

I shoot with one eye closed most of the time. I am trying to get used to shooting with both eyes open and I keep both eyes open when I think about it. As someone told me once, it's better to keep both eyes open because if you close one eye, you lose the peripheral vision on that side that you could use to see movement or someone coming at you from that direction. Anyway, I believe it is less tiring to keep both eyes open. I'm still working on that, amongst many other things in regards to shooting, though.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #4

Liked 2397 Times on 1365 Posts
Likes Given: 1887

This is personal. Many go with the dominant eye. I do.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8315 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

some shooters seem to close BOTH eyes.....

Seriously, both open is better for several reasons, but some folks have a LOT of trouble with that.

SOME of us need all the vision we have left!

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

it was brought up while I was shooting my bow, it was given to me by my father in law the rear sight is really big makes it hard to be pin point accurate. She told me that her dad shot with both eyes open it worked sorta, I tried it with my pellet rifle and i don't know I liked it I hit what I was shooting at but it felt odd.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 06-25-2011, 11:54 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

When on the target range, my goal is to relax as much as possible and enjoy the shooting session. Any un-needed tension (hands too tight, back too stiff, closing one eye, etc...) seems to have an affect on my shooting.

In competition, I'm already tense and don't need to add to it.

Bottom line, I (try to) shoot with both eyes open.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 06-26-2011, 12:59 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 217 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Both open is ideal. That said, there's nothing wrong with learning however you're most comfortable.

I'm usually guilty of closing one, and am intent on changing that. It's good to keep both open with rifles too, especially with shorter range quick acquisition (CQB) shooting. It allows you to know what the heck's going on beyond what you see in your scope/sights...like additional threats, friendlies straying into the line of fire, etc.

It requires a hefty helping of focus, discipline, and repetition for most shooters to keep both open and shoot well, but it can become a habit. One coaching cliche I often quote to my high schools kids says it all:

Practice does not make "perfect", but it does make good habits "permanent".

Old 06-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5119 Times on 2665 Posts
Likes Given: 310

i shoot both open even with scoped rifles. i can focus with either eye at will as needed.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #10
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Default Open

Both eyes open affords you the opportunity to see environmental changes such as wind shifts or additional targets that may became available.
As stated earlier, it also helps to stay aware of where your teammates are in relation to where you are shooting.
In less dynamic scenarios, such as observing through the scope or through a spotting scope, you are much less fatigued when using both eyes.
At Rifles Only, we spend a great deal of time not only using both eyes open, but also shooting from both shoulders with precision rifles and carbines, and both left and right hands with handguns.
You have two eyes, two hands, and two shoulders. It is best to be able to use all of them depending on the shooting scenario you encounter.

Most do not practice shooting from the "weak" side. However, it is an extremely valuable skill set to master.

Cover coming from the right side should cause you to automatically switch to the left shoulder to avoid exposing too much of your person. Make a smaller profile out of yourself and be able to be effective at it. Additionally, in a hunting scenario, utilizing blinds, bushes, trees or some other form of rifle rest, the ability to shoot from both shoulders opens up more opportunities for a successful hunt. There is much less movement on your part if you have the ability to simply switch shoulders rather than being forced to change your entire body position just to be able to shoot from your "strong" side.
The ability to do this starts with shooting with both eyes open

JB

Jacob Bynum
Director
Rifles Only Inc
www.riflesonly.com