Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > old people

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmille01 View Post
My mom is really cheap she washes spastic wear, she also won't buy anything new I mean anything if she need a car door she's go to the junk yard it might be rusted have a several bullet holes in it and blood stain all over but she'll buy it, she's pretty much crazy.
Anyone who speaks so disrespectfully of their mother is probably incapable of understanding that her being "cheap" probably had a lot to do with keeping YOU in clothes, shelter, and food. You have a whole lot to learn.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #12

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You don't mention her proficiency level with firearms. I assume she's essentially unskilled. Give her a class in firearm safety as a gift. Take her shooting and have her shoot a variety of guns starting with a .22 and moving up in caliber.

Assuming she's relatively unskilled, my suggestion is a short barreled 20ga. shotgun, something like a Mossberg Persuader. A 20ga. is somewhat loud, but reasonably forgiving and recoil is easy.

Remind her that the potential trade-off is her life or a few seconds of noise.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wow, I wish I could be that "old" again! My beautiful "young" trophy wife is 48 now, wait 'til I tell her she's considered one of the "old people".

Old 06-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Recipe for Disaster

"Clearing a house" "22 bolt action" "hates loud noises and recoil" "she's pretty much crazy"

This is a recipe for disaster - this woman's best friend would be a cell phone and fast legs.
I am tactically proficient, sleep with a Mossberg 590 9 rd in bed, a Glock 21 by the bed and a Glock 23 under the pillow - hey, call me paranoid but I wouldn't suggest you coming in my house unannounced
Even with all this I would NEVER clear the house. I take two courses of action:
1. kill everything in sight to clear an exit path, and then
2. get the hell out of the house and let the cops have their fun when they get there.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Anyone who speaks so disrespectfully of their mother is probably incapable of understanding that her being "cheap" probably had a lot to do with keeping YOU in clothes, shelter, and food. You have a whole lot to learn.
Yea - thats what my mom said - she is also crazy/cheap etc.. However, she has a large amount of cash and investments, is still crazy/cheap and I haven't lived at home in 20 years
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd guess you are in your 20's, hence the wise mouth.
And I'd say she choose the wrong person to ask, based on what you've written here.
She needs a few classes, and some training, and of course range time. Then practice in her home. She doesn't need much, because she is interested in her own home, not unfamiliar buildings. She knows her home, an intruder most likely will not.
Suggest she get interested in some basic training. Pay her way into a beginners firearms safety class, encourage her.
The Mom you save may be your own.

BTW, she is not "cheap". She is frugal. She tries to spend her money as wisely as she can.
Other folks I have known who were actually well off were as well, very frugal. Nothing wrong with that, they probably worked very hard to get where they are.
I bet your Mom worked her butt off, too. And what she gets is disrespect for it.

A well placed shot with a .22 will most certainly incapacitate or kill an intruder. But untrained people get killed with their own weapons every day.
Take a class with her, encourage her.
Don't be disrespectful of her. She's done the best she could.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And By The Way, She is too young to get the 7 buck Friday Pass at my favorite range. You have to be 55 and up.
Takes the bite out of havin a ton of fun!

It'll cost her the normal $12.50. And you too, ya Whippersnapper.

Last edited by Sonnypie; 06-22-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i'll add this to what's already been said BUY YOUR MAMA a shotgun and a cell phone

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA

Old 06-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #19
Deader Bears=Better Bears

Liked 5598 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 4684

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpie View Post
i'll add this to what's already been said BUY YOUR MAMA a shotgun and a cell phone
+ a barky dog, very barky, to scare away the burglars. (and so you can hear her coming)

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 06-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #20

Liked 1338 Times on 885 Posts
Likes Given: 652

Shame on you.
Is your mom single? I like young women!
I'm just down the road in Tenn.