Okay, Now I've seen trained people - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Okay, Now I've seen trained people


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Some people have a hard time holstering a pistol without sweeping themselves. In fact, in the new IDPA rulebook it clearly says that due to a person's body type they can not holster a gun without sweeping themselves. There shall be no penalty for sweeping oneself. If you are using an IWB holster, pocket carry or a belly band holster it's damn near impossible to holster a gun without sweeping yourself. Some of us have good and valid points why an OWB holster is a bad idea. That is another thread.
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3730 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
Some people have a hard time holstering a pistol without sweeping themselves. In fact, in the new IDPA rulebook it clearly says that due to a person's body type they can not holster a gun without sweeping themselves. There shall be no penalty for sweeping oneself. If you are using an IWB holster, pocket carry or a belly band holster it's damn near impossible to holster a gun without sweeping yourself. Some of us have good and valid points why an OWB holster is a bad idea. That is another thread.
Yes, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
1. Pulling the firearm from the holster was okay, but on reholstering, they used the non-dominant hand to "verify" where the holster was on their belts, and promptly "swept" the muzzle over the non-dominant hand holding the holster (with loaded weapons and finger on trigger).
That's not an issue with body type. That's an issue with stupidity and bad training.
__________________
Always have clean socks.
JW357 is offline  
7point62 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 3,206
Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
Some people have a hard time holstering a pistol without sweeping themselves. In fact, in the new IDPA rulebook it clearly says that due to a person's body type they can not holster a gun without sweeping themselves. There shall be no penalty for sweeping oneself. If you are using an IWB holster, pocket carry or a belly band holster it's damn near impossible to holster a gun without sweeping yourself. Some of us have good and valid points why an OWB holster is a bad idea. That is another thread.
Sweeping due to body type, yeah okay I'll give you that one. It happens, cant discriminate against fat people, they should be able to defend themselves too. Sweeping your off-hand while securing the holster? Hey I'll even give you that one, with some holsters it's necessary. Sweeping your off-hand while holstering with your finger on the trigger as listed in the OP? When is THAT ever okay?!
__________________
"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"
DeltaF is offline  
7point62 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AR10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Glock Certified Armorer In Occupied USA
Posts: 2,268
Liked 1139 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Default

$600 or more on a handgun, and $19 on a walmart holster, and a $3 walmart belt, is one problem. No amount of training can overcome bad equipment.

I recommend a good quality dedicated holster that fits exactly, the gun being used, and a good quality Instructors belt, like www.thewilderness.com

Holstering is not a timed for speed element of the presentation. One needs to practice, practice, practice, all aspects of gun handling.
AR10 is offline  
7point62 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
7point62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Decisive Terrain
Posts: 2,137
Liked 1505 Times on 755 Posts
Likes Given: 1134

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Sweeping your off-hand while holstering with your finger on the trigger as listed in the OP? When is THAT ever okay?!

x100. And who the hell taught them to move that muzzle anywhere from downrange with a digit still inside the trigger guard? Do that on a pro range and you're a tackle dummy.
__________________
Hijo de mala leche
7point62 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
7point62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Decisive Terrain
Posts: 2,137
Liked 1505 Times on 755 Posts
Likes Given: 1134

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
$600 or more on a handgun, and $19 on a walmart holster, and a $3 walmart belt, is one problem. No amount of training can overcome bad equipment.

I recommend a good quality dedicated holster that fits exactly, the gun being used, and a good quality Instructors belt, like www.thewilderness.com

Holstering is not a timed for speed element of the presentation. One needs to practice, practice, practice, all aspects of gun handling.

Absolutely. Nothing worse than a holster that is less than a perfect fit.
__________________
Hijo de mala leche
7point62 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
How the hell is it possibie that an IDPA/IASC shooter is better trained than a cop? Mark_Van_Goth Competition Shooting 101 11-25-2013 08:30 PM
THIS is the reason normal people are scared of guns and people with guns DodgerBlue Legal and Activism 51 03-28-2012 02:58 AM
Why your family should be trained. Samples.32 The Club House 8 04-27-2011 04:00 PM
omg I'm a 'trained killer' lol zhuk The Club House 9 06-01-2010 04:29 AM
guns don't kill people, people kill people dhelix Politics, Religion and Controversy 77 03-04-2010 01:49 AM



Newest Threads