Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Obtaining a CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Obtaining a CCW

I am sure a majority of you on here have a carry permit. I plan on getting one this summer when the classes start back up. I would like to know what the class is like. What sort of information does the instructor go over and how much actual shooting do you do? What happens in the case when you don't have a gun? I know, why take the class if you don't a gun, but I'm soure it's been done. Are the instructors usually pretty laid back or is it a real serious type class? I'm a college grad and proficient at test taking, but what are the tests like and are they quite hard?

Proud NRA member

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good for you, glad to hear that you are taking the CCW step. To answer your questions, the test is so easy it isn't funny. It is a liability drill on the part of the states. It will be all "when and where and how" you can carry or use your firearm. You will have all the answers by the end of the instruction.
Yes, it is serious. Take it seriously.
Not much shooting, pretty simplistic. You will have to have a firearm and ammo to take the class. Doesn't have to be your own, you can borrow. The range that you take it at might have rentals and you can buy the ammo there, depends on the state. Not sure of MI, most states don't make you "declare" which gun you will carry (I have one that did require you to state which gun(s) you would CCW and if you had a revolver, you had to "qualify" with a revolver. If that is the case I recommend that you do both (pistol and revolver). Again, I am not sure of your state's requirement.
If you can contact your instructor before the course, tell him your particular situation, he will no doubt accomodate within reason your needs to take the class (tell you how to get the required materials and ammo).
good luck

Old 01-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #3

In PA - it's really easy. I dropped off my application at the local sherriff's office, went back a week later and picked up my permit.

Simon

XD-9 SubCompact -- Walther P22 -- Savage 110 -- Mossberg 835 -- Ruger 10/22 -- Bushmaster 16" AR-15

Old 01-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #4

I found some info on the Michigan State Police web site. The course doesn't look to be too tough. Here are the Michigan rules.

Firearms Program - Minimum Standards

The program must include instruction in, but not limited to, all of the following:

Safe storage, use and handling of a pistol including, but not limited to, safe storage, use and handling to protect a child
Ammunition knowledge, and the fundamentals of pistol shooting
Pistol shooting positions
Firearms and the law, including civil liability issues and the use of deadly force
Avoiding criminal attack and controlling a violent confrontation
All laws that apply to carrying a concealed pistol in this state
At least 8 hours instruction, including 3 hours of firing range time; which requires firing at least 30 rounds of ammunition

Proud NRA member

Old 01-03-2008, 02:33 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

30 rounds in 3 hours? At least they give you plenty of time.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:53 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTuffGuy View Post
In PA - it's really easy. I dropped off my application at the local sherriff's office, went back a week later and picked up my permit.

same here in Bama but it was only couple days

Old 02-05-2008, 12:35 AM   #7

I called our local sherrif department and signed up to take the course on March 23. It is from 8 to 5. Cost is $75.00. I am excited to go and learn the basics. Now I got to get a gun bought to take.

Proud NRA member

Old 02-06-2008, 04:37 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've heard that in some states, if you have an honorable discharge, you have a CCW automatically. (Got this from retired military, so it's worth checking into.) Either way, I'm going for my CCW. Don't know if I need to carry, but it would be nice to know if I need to, I can. Great site, tons of info. Thanks, all.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoPo View Post
I called our local sherrif department and signed up to take the course on March 23. It is from 8 to 5. Cost is $75.00. I am excited to go and learn the basics. Now I got to get a gun bought to take.
I'll let you borrow mine, as long as you buy your own once you fall in love with it.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #10

It depends on what state you live in as each state has there own rules and laws as far as getting and receiving your ccw license

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT