Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Obtaining a CCW (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/obtaining-ccw-2899/)

MarkoPo 01-02-2008 04:53 PM

Obtaining a CCW

I am sure a majority of you on here have a carry permit. I plan on getting one this summer when the classes start back up. I would like to know what the class is like. What sort of information does the instructor go over and how much actual shooting do you do? What happens in the case when you don't have a gun? I know, why take the class if you don't a gun, but I'm soure it's been done. Are the instructors usually pretty laid back or is it a real serious type class? I'm a college grad and proficient at test taking, but what are the tests like and are they quite hard?

hillbilly68 01-02-2008 05:16 PM

Good for you, glad to hear that you are taking the CCW step. To answer your questions, the test is so easy it isn't funny. It is a liability drill on the part of the states. It will be all "when and where and how" you can carry or use your firearm. You will have all the answers by the end of the instruction.
Yes, it is serious. Take it seriously.
Not much shooting, pretty simplistic. You will have to have a firearm and ammo to take the class. Doesn't have to be your own, you can borrow. The range that you take it at might have rentals and you can buy the ammo there, depends on the state. Not sure of MI, most states don't make you "declare" which gun you will carry (I have one that did require you to state which gun(s) you would CCW and if you had a revolver, you had to "qualify" with a revolver. If that is the case I recommend that you do both (pistol and revolver). Again, I am not sure of your state's requirement.
If you can contact your instructor before the course, tell him your particular situation, he will no doubt accomodate within reason your needs to take the class (tell you how to get the required materials and ammo).
good luck

SimonTuffGuy 01-02-2008 08:56 PM

In PA - it's really easy. I dropped off my application at the local sherriff's office, went back a week later and picked up my permit.

:)

MarkoPo 01-02-2008 10:23 PM

I found some info on the Michigan State Police web site. The course doesn't look to be too tough. Here are the Michigan rules.

Firearms Program - Minimum Standards

The program must include instruction in, but not limited to, all of the following:

Safe storage, use and handling of a pistol including, but not limited to, safe storage, use and handling to protect a child
Ammunition knowledge, and the fundamentals of pistol shooting
Pistol shooting positions
Firearms and the law, including civil liability issues and the use of deadly force
Avoiding criminal attack and controlling a violent confrontation
All laws that apply to carrying a concealed pistol in this state
At least 8 hours instruction, including 3 hours of firing range time; which requires firing at least 30 rounds of ammunition

matt g 01-03-2008 02:33 AM

30 rounds in 3 hours? At least they give you plenty of time.

Righteous 01-05-2008 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimonTuffGuy (Post 13563)
In PA - it's really easy. I dropped off my application at the local sherriff's office, went back a week later and picked up my permit.

:)

same here in Bama but it was only couple days

MarkoPo 02-05-2008 12:35 AM

I called our local sherrif department and signed up to take the course on March 23. It is from 8 to 5. Cost is $75.00. I am excited to go and learn the basics. Now I got to get a gun bought to take. :)

GlenJohnson 02-06-2008 04:37 AM

I've heard that in some states, if you have an honorable discharge, you have a CCW automatically. (Got this from retired military, so it's worth checking into.) Either way, I'm going for my CCW. Don't know if I need to carry, but it would be nice to know if I need to, I can. Great site, tons of info. Thanks, all.

matt g 02-06-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkoPo (Post 15596)
I called our local sherrif department and signed up to take the course on March 23. It is from 8 to 5. Cost is $75.00. I am excited to go and learn the basics. Now I got to get a gun bought to take. :)

I'll let you borrow mine, as long as you buy your own once you fall in love with it.

h&k bigdaddydieseldan 05-08-2008 10:01 PM

It depends on what state you live in as each state has there own rules and laws as far as getting and receiving your ccw license :) :) :) :)