Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > NRA RSO requirement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 993 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Default NRA RSO requirement

I just joined a local conservation club and they have a range. They require all members who use the range to be RSO certified. Is this a common requirement for ranges?

They also have cameras on every lane and common areas as well, I don't mean 1 camera on the firing line I mean 1 camera per lane. Anyone else seen this type of setup before? I wondere if it lowers insurance as any incident would like be on video.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #2

Liked 4421 Times on 2144 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

Never seen a setup like that?

I am an RSO for my local Gun Club and our Lead RSO's are NRA Certified.

I would Imagine the training they gave me mirrors their NRA Certification and could find out for $125.00 ...and get a nifty patch too!

Tack

Old 02-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5103 Times on 2653 Posts
Likes Given: 309

its not common. but its their range thier rules if you want to use it

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 993 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 311

The RSO class wasn't bad but I think it was way to long when in reality all it teaches you is that the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for the range is it's Bible and infallible.

If I had one complaint about the course it is that I felt it was to focused on covering your butt and not focused enough on real world safety procedures.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-19-2013, 01:41 AM   #5

Liked 4421 Times on 2144 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
The RSO class wasn't bad but I think it was way to long when in reality all it teaches you is that the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for the range is it's Bible and infallible.

If I had one complaint about the course it is that I felt it was to focused on covering your butt and not focused enough on real world safety procedures.
I hear that... we are constantly reminded that our job is to ensure safe opperation of the range, not to coach shooters, and advised to send folks home for thing like being unable to figure out their scope?

I guess its the natural coach in me that usually overrides this. I see nothing wrong with helping to coach novices with anything they need as long as that assistance is welcomed and not impeding my overall safety duties.

Tack
Old 02-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

It is definitely for insurance purposes. Being an rso makes you liable for anything that happens on the range. Enjoy the 8 hour class and test. Lol

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:21 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

It's pure BS. Just a way for some one to make money!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2611 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1162

I can see a requirement to go through a basic NRA firearms course, but not everyone should require the Range Safety Officer.

One range I belong to has a requirement of watching a video and signing a paper for all guests, sign-ups, and renewals. And all members must be a member of the NRA.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 02-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #9

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Don't know where my post went...
I'm an NRA Training Counselor and certified Chief RSO and grad of NRA Range Development & Operations school (and was a professional in this arena for many years actually) and don't see this range's program as the most critical use of that time...

Old 02-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 311 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I just joined a local conservation club and they have a range. They require all members who use the range to be RSO certified. Is this a common requirement for ranges?

They also have cameras on every lane and common areas as well, I don't mean 1 camera on the firing line I mean 1 camera per lane. Anyone else seen this type of setup before? I wondere if it lowers insurance as any incident would like be on video.
It is a safety thing with the cameras. My range has about five in the room for the 10 lanes. I prefer the added security so the idiot next to me get kicked out instead of me getting shot. Don't worry too much about it. As long as you are safe, there will be no problems.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...