Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Now expecting a home invasion anytime

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Now expecting a home invasion anytime

After my recent burglary 2 weeks ago (6/27/2014 in the early p.m.), I am now expecting a home invasion follow up anytime.

The burglar only got away with my compound archery bow -- nothing else.

Everything else was locked up in the gun safe. He still ransacked the apartment however.

I made the police report and the LEO's have stepped up their neighborhood patrols here, but that won't change anything. We are not a police state and they cannot be everywhere all the time.

So I now CCW at home all the time, my CCW weapon being a 45ACP pistol 10 + 1.

And my battle carbine is loaded, as is my bandoleer of magazines too.

I keep the pistol at my side in a holster, and the carbine in the gun safe ready at a moment's grab.

I keep the doors and windows locked at all times in order to slow them down.

At the first sign of trouble I will get the carbine -- with the bandoleer and mags I can shoot more ammo that way. The pistol is simply my backup and for when I cannot take the carbine with me outside.

This is a lot like Fort Apache waiting for the Indians to attack anytime day or night. I sleep with the carbine at my side and the pistol under my pillow and the bedroom barricaded as a safe room.

Now that someone knows a very expensive gun safe is in a given residence, and likely to contain all sorts of valuables since none was found anywhere else in the residence, I strongly suspect they will be back -- reinforced.

They will probably attack in the early morning hours of the night.

I will probably awaken to the noise of someone breaking in the doors.

But it could happen anytime.

The doors are all dead bolt locked with double key locks -- they will need to be broken down for someone to get in or out without the key.

The windows are all bolted shut -- they will need to be broken apart for anyone to get through them.

Noise and time -- that's what the doors and windows will give me.

Noise and time are what I need -- everything else is ready to go in 5.56x45mm and 45ACP.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6765 Times on 4088 Posts
Likes Given: 8099

I understand your preparedness, Shoobee, but be very, VERY careful. Know the laws in your state. Think about shooting to defend yourself or are you going to shoot to defend property? Use your head before you use your firearms.

shadecorp Likes This 
Old 07-12-2014, 05:41 PM   #3

Liked 1977 Times on 1175 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Probably good to be a bit proactive and prepared for the possibility of a home invasion. My bet would be more on them checking patterns and trying to come in when you aren't home. Easier to bring in the moving crew when they are less likely to meat resistance or question from neighbors. Lower risk to them, and nobody can be home all the time.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Probably good to be a bit proactive and prepared for the possibility of a home invasion. My bet would be more on them checking patterns and trying to come in when you aren't home. Easier to bring in the moving crew when they are less likely to meat resistance or question from neighbors. Lower risk to them, and nobody can be home all the time.
If they do that, there is no further risk to me. They cannot unbolt the gun safe from the cement ground. Nothing else is worth taking. All my electronics are old. The only thing not locked up was my compound hunting bow and they already took that.

The only reason they would come back to my place would be to get into the safe.

And they only way they are getting into it is to break into the house through the doors or windows by destroying them and making a loud mess, then getting me to open the safe for them.

Since I have hardened my door locks and windows to burglary, only my neighbors are vulnerable to burglary now -- I am not. And having now bolted the gun safe to the ground, it is not going anywhere.

Last edited by Shoobee; 07-12-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I understand your preparedness, Shoobee, but be very, VERY careful. Know the laws in your state. Think about shooting to defend yourself or are you going to shoot to defend property? Use your head before you use your firearms.
I will be shooting them after they breach the doors or the windows, when they are inside the home. There will be several of them and only one of me. They will meet all the criteria of a death warrant by 5.56x45 and 45ACP during a home invasion.

I would not shoot anybody in the process of stealing my car -- I would rather beat the crap out of them until they have a few broken ribs. But there is no reason to worry about anyone breaking into the garage and taking an old SUV.

The most likely follow up will be a home invasion to get into the safe.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6765 Times on 4088 Posts
Likes Given: 8099

And I think the precautions you have taken in reinforcing the locks on the doors will be deterrent enough. I don't think they want a challenge, they want an easy target.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6104 Times on 3348 Posts
Likes Given: 11734

I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened.

No offense and none taken

Old 07-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
And I think the precautions you have taken in reinforcing the locks on the doors will be deterrent enough. I don't think they want a challenge, they want an easy target.
This was my original thinking as well.

However lately I have felt as vulnerable as a pioneer wagon on the Great Plains in Indian country.

The best thing would be to get dogs. But this place is not big enough for dogs.

It is barely big enough for the cat.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #9

Liked 240 Times on 171 Posts

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. If it were me, I'd be spending every available hour working on a plan to move. A house is just a building with some sheet rock and wood. You'll sleep better at night somewhere else too. Whatever you do, a d whatever happens, good luck, and be safe. And if necessary, be the last man standing.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 07-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #10
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2844 Times on 1948 Posts
Likes Given: 582

Get ready for an inbound PM soon. Your Prep Is Good. at least you have not Buried your head in the sand. some help for your "case" would be some type of Security camera Trained on your doorway just inside your house so you have "video" of them trying to Break Into your house. He/They will try and wait you out,..several weeks or months so your "guard" is Down Some....
make sure when you "engage" that they are well Inside your Home before you take the 1st shot....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*