not sure where to put this thread - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > not sure where to put this thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 04:47 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell
Like I said...the thought came to me after watching machine gun preacher. At the end of the movie it said he still goes over there to fight to this day. I guess I just don't understand how a united states civilian is getting away with fighting rebels in an African country. With that thought came the thought about could any us citizen do such things, or is it because he is doing so much for the children that nothing is said to him about killing men in another country...
That's an interesting point. I dunno.

I was going to tell you (not really seriously) to join the French Foreign Legion.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #12

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
Like I said...the thought came to me after watching machine gun preacher. At the end of the movie it said he still goes over there to fight to this day. I guess I just don't understand how a united states civilian is getting away with fighting rebels in an African country. With that thought came the thought about could any us citizen do such things, or is it because he is doing so much for the children that nothing is said to him about killing men in another country...
That is so weird, I just started watching that movie this morning on my Kindle (I typically watch movies in 30 minute chunks)

Here's the deal.

What he is doing is likely illegal. He's not murdering US Citizens so he's not on the hook for murder in the US. It's Africa so no one really cares but he's also got zero diplomatic cover for his actions. That means if he's ever arrested by officials over there, the US can do diddly and squat for him, unless they want to basically look like they condone his actions, which I doubt will happen because I haven't seen a political backbone from our leadership in awhile.

I can't remember the guys name, but I do remember reading about him. Not sure if he is still going on mission trips or not. However, if he continues to engage in these rescues, eventually he's going to get into more trouble than he can get out of on his own.

There are many parts of Africa that are essentially lawless. That's the only reason why he gets away with it.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 10-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #13

Liked 2220 Times on 1303 Posts
Likes Given: 484

Legally, through the contractors. They usually hire based on military experience, and combat experience is preferred.

There are mercenaries. They operate independently, and get hired by governments or groups. If they get hired by a government, that government gives them the coverage as a combatant. Other independent mercenaries take the risk for the money. Again, prior experience makes for a more desirable hire.

So, you're right. Getting the experience becomes the trick. Otherwise it would probably be like a lot of other jobs. It's who you know to get hired, then get the training, then the experience follows.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2265 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Some of the contractors will hire based on law enforcement experience. I had one of them try to recruit me. I'd have gone for it if it hadn't been 3 years away from home at a time. Even the military doesn't do that crap.

But if I ever end up in a divorce, well let's just say I'm solid gone. She can have everything but the guns and I'll be somewhere that costs $10 to make a phone call.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

CaseyChadwell Likes This 
Old 10-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8966 Times on 3881 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

Back in 82 I had the Vinnel Corp recruiting for the SANG project in Saudi Arabia. Money and bennies were extremely good. Duty sucked. 13 month tour in SA, tax free.

But anyone that considers this would do well to remember Roland.....

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 758 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I was actively recruited by black water in 2005 offered $98,000 for a 1 year tour doing ppo work in Iraq I had been back maybe 10 months by then and just had a newborn at home and was wounded twice in al taji in 03 and felt like I had used up all my luck then so I turned them down. I kick myself in the ass about that now lol. Private security contractors will damn near only hire combat vets and almost exclusively from the elite groups only exceptions I ever have seen are cops who go over to train law enforcement, k9 handlers, eod, intelligence, and interpreters( Arabic, Dari, Farsi and Pashto) best bet is either the legion which is a military organization or take your ass to Syria and sign up for a side.

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

7point62 Likes This 
Old 10-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #17

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

I'll stick with fighting the deer population here in the county :-). Don't think I'm one to go fight someone else's war in another country unless its for my country of course.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 758 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Shoot volunteer with angels in Africa sounds like he is still getting a piece of action

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #19
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1361 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
If you are serious, apply to a security contracting company that works overseas like Triple Canopy.

He'd have trouble getting vetted for contract work overseas without
legitimate military creds or combat history.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2265 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62
He'd have trouble getting vetted for contract work overseas without legitimate military creds or combat history.
Had a buddy did it. Left the PD to work for one. No overseas experience, just a year of police work. He started off as a role player for their training stuff and ended up in Iraq a year later.

One of the guys told me the LEOs have it easier because they are used to a set use of force continuum here in the states. He was doing security for dignitaries overseas.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"