Non Lethal Home Defense - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Non Lethal Home Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 03:12 AM   #71
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuie View Post
A friend of mine suggested using non lethal shells in the shotgun I am getting for home defense. Wanted your thoughts on it.
My thought is that your friend is planning on breaking into your house.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #72
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_sxt
Your friends are idiots.
I'm not gonna be that harsh, but non lethal = you dead/in court.
All I'm saying is that a dead aggressor Cant sew you.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667
My idea of "nonlethal defense" is
1) German Shepherd dogs
2) Locked doors

If these two have been breached then it is time to move to something more lethal
I agree 100%

Old 02-18-2012, 05:29 AM   #74

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

If you really want non lethal for your shotgun, I would suggest rubber buckshot.
Other than that, he ain't gonna make it.

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 03-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #75
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4442 Times on 2463 Posts
Likes Given: 22371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuie View Post
A friend of mine suggested using non lethal shells in the shotgun I am getting for home defense. Wanted your thoughts on it.

I am getting Mossberg 500
Here is what I was thinking for loading in it
http://www.deltaforce.com/catalog/12gaugeammo.html
http://www.deltaforce.com/catalog/lesslethalammo.html
1) Blammo Boomers Blank (Let them know this isn't going to end well)
2) Hornet's Nest
3) Tri-Dent
4) Power Punch
5) Rubber Rocket
6) Pit Bull (I make it here, they aren't leaving my house vertically)

Of course another friend during the discussion said load up all with Pit Bull ammo. My concern is coming from my room and stopping an intruder in my house I will inevitably point towards my soon to be baby's room.
I like inflicting pain when absolutely have to ! Why not just bird shot ?

Old 03-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #76

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
I like inflicting pain when absolutely have to ! Why not just bird shot ?
Don't take this the wrong way, I hate the idea of ever having to use my weapon in self defense but....if I have to choose him or my family, I will protect my family with everything I have.

As for the less lethal rounds, no thanks, as crack heads are crazy, people in general are crazy now.

Have you ever seen a wounded animal attack anything threatening? It is not a pretty sight, they will fight with all that they have left to the death. If someone comes into my home with the intent to do harm, they will see no mercy from me. Just my .02.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #77

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

truthfully, the only "non lethal" form of protection you should offer against a would-be intruder is the sound of a 12 gauge cycling one into the chamber. If that noise is not enough to deter them and make them leave, then they are there to do some harm, and you should not hesitate one second to protect you and yours with full force.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #78

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
I have to agree, a shotgun is good but not the best choice. I have handguns scattered all over my home stratigically placed for fast access. They aren't visible to the casual visitor or dweller but they are there, and condition one ready. Both me and my wife can gain virtually instant access and can spray lead in less than three seconds from almost anywhere in the house.

I have an 18" pistol grip 12ga. and it's simply too hard to wheeld in most cases especially when there's a number of pistols close at at hand ready to rock.

When I watch TV, there's a 45ACP only a fraction of a second away.
I have essentially the same setup in my home. There are several handguns scattered around the house, plus a shotgun in the master bedroom. I'd recommend you and your partner work out a plan where IF you ever experience a home invasion, you work as a team and have a plan. In my house, I would use a handgun - it's easier to hold a light, open doors, grab a kid, etc with the free hand - to gather everyone to the master bedroom while the wife would keep the shotgun with her in the MB and call 911.

As others have already stated, the prospect of using deadly force on another human being is something EVERYONE should feel bad about and it should be a course taken only as a last resort. Personally, I'd use it to protect the lives of my family and those staying under my roof at the time if I feel there is a threat of bodily harm and/or death, not on someone trying to steal one my kids bikes or the lawnmower from the storage shed. I know there are those who disagree and feel the use of deadly force is justifiable to stop ANY crime and that's between them and their conscience. OTOH, an intruder gave up their right to a break when they entered my home (especially if someone is home at the time), and if it comes to the safety of me and mine, an intruder will be on the short end of the stick.

Last edited by rachilders; 03-02-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #79
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
truthfully, the only "non lethal" form of protection you should offer against a would-be intruder is the sound of a 12 gauge cycling one into the chamber. If that noise is not enough to deter them and make them leave, then they are there to do some harm, and you should not hesitate one second to protect you and yours with full force.
X 10! Well said!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #80
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2470 Times on 1498 Posts
Likes Given: 13603

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
truthfully, the only "non lethal" form of protection you should offer against a would-be intruder is the sound of a 12 gauge cycling one into the chamber.
I was greeted by that sound yesterday, at 3:30 am, when I got back from Cali. Next time I WILL remember to call the wife when I'm coming in that late! I can honestly say three things:

1. I am sooooo very glad that she turned on the light.
2. My 870 is a VERY intimidating sight at that hour.
3. I am extremely glad that she is on my side. I would not want to pizz her off!

Damn I love her.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.