Non Lethal Home Defense - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Non Lethal Home Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 02:06 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 248 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Gentlemen :
Massad Ayoob has a good chapter on shotgun vs. handgun in his Bantam Paperback, The Truth About Self Protection .
I favor the handgun because it is handy, hard to snatch away, easy to operate with one hand, designed to be carried loaded and ready and not to go off if dropped, and easier to lock in a drawer or to take with you when you leave the house but...
...as mentioned earlier, a shotgun is good to have along with the pistol. If you can get to it, the shotgun is easier for most people to shoot accurately, has great stopping power ( unlike pistols ) and is intimidating to the bad guy .
Clint Smith says that if you know you are going into a gun fight, you shouldn't depend on a pistol. So...

Old 01-24-2009, 12:16 AM   #22

I could think of good reasons to use a shotgun. First, if you are not a crack shot, or if you get riled in tense situations and your aim is going to be off, a shotgun is your friend. I can get off 5 rounds in around 1 second and hit multiple targets with any of my semiauto pistols. I practice it a lot. But most would be missing the target. Unless you are good with the pistol, a shotgun is a great idea.

As far as non-leathal. Jeez, if you are going to point a weapon at somebody, you have to be ready to shoot him to kill. It would only take the perp a fraction of a second to shoot you back or let loose a throwing knife. Add some dark and confusion, and you would be dead before you got a shot off.

I think pointing the weapon at him is warning enough. You do not have to be trigger happy, just very prepared and "in the zone" to react properly if there is any life threatening move toward you or your family.

Another good use of the shotgun, maybe your wife has one as backup while you have two handguns and multiple clips.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2240 Times on 1219 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Quote:
A friend of mine suggested using non lethal shells in the shotgun I am getting for home defense. Wanted your thoughts on it.
The guy must be one of the millions of sheeple who do not want to harm those wonderful, misguided home invaders.

Quote:
Wanted your thoughts on it.
Twice in my long lifetime I have defended our home against armed home invading criminals. My family won both times: Once thanks to a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with #4 buckshot.

Take my word for it; home invaders do not have your best interest at heart.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #24

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

non-leathal r less than leathal is not the way to go. As you said your knowladge is low. That is cool, everyone has to start somewhere. Some of us tend to take starting out for granted because we just kind of grew into knowing all this stuff and didn't have to sit down and learn it all when they are older.

If your going to shoot some one shot them with real ammo not fake ammo. You live in texas. You can shoot a guy for stealing your car radio and be within the law. I thought that in texas you had to shoot a perp breaking into your house to prove you are man enough to own it? Maybe I am wrong on that fact.

I think if your layout makes you aim towards a part of the house that would be inhabbated a shot gun with with #4 buck or some other load say 7.5 or 8shot would be a better choice. 8 shot would not penatrate drywall from 10 feet away I think ( I am not totaly sure on this though).

Here is what I would do find a range go get some training. Tell them you are looking at HD and SD. talk to a pro who teaches this stuff not a bunch of faceless guys on the internet. Because I can claim to have shot 900 home invaders and you have no real way to disprove it.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #25
Jay

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

don't be misled by TV and or movies..... At home defense distances, 10-15 feet, a shotgun will NOT have a 12" diameter pattern. Instead, you'll have a "pattern" about the size of a quarter. You won't be able to "shoot from the hip" and be on target. Take your shotgun to a range and with your chosen shell, shoot from different distances and see just what size patterns develop. Stop by an appliance store, and ask 'em for a refrigerator box. They make great pattern boards, and they're free.

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 01-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #26

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Don't depend on a shotgun to be nonlethal!

I would never attempt to use a firearm in a "non-lethal" capacity. People have been killed with blanks at very close range. For home defense, I think the motion sensitive exterior lights, the barking dog, and the alarm system are all great non-lethal attempts to dissuade a criminal. Once a home invasion or burglary is in process, you have to be completely ready to resort to potentially lethal measures.

As for non-lethal weapons, there are several that come highly recommended: the Kimber LifeAct Guardian Angel and JetProtector and the Taser C2.
Non-Lethal Weapons for Self-Defense - Associated Content
However, I would only rely on them against lesser threats (stray dogs, unarmed violent drunks, etc.) outside the home that don't necessarily merit the use of lethal force. You might also use them in situations where the law in your area prohibits the carry of firearms or the use of deadly force.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:00 AM   #27

Liked 248 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I looked over the Associated Content site linked above, read a few of the articles and found a lot of mis-information along with the true stuff .

Sabre brand has a home defense can of pepper spray that is as big as a can of bear repellant , has a pistol grip and wall mount . It works like a fire extinguisher .

Old 02-08-2009, 03:58 AM   #28
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I might be getting long in tooth but if someone breaks into my home less than lethal isn't a consideration. The bad buys are in my home to take what I worked hard for and even more may want to take or kill those I love so the only response is lethal. I hope never to have this expierence in life, all the same if it happens I believe that I will be fine with what I had to do to protect my home and family.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

one good thing that less than lethal rounds will do for home defense is in his case of a wife and soon to be baby he wont kill his loved ones on an accident, which is +1 , also there is some rounds that will blind the assailent like the pepper blast rounds which is pepper spray in a shotgun. he is new to this subject of home defense. i agree it is better to put the sob down for good which is why if i were him i would have the first shot a less than lethal round and the rest man killers. that way he has the oppourtunity to give up and get down on the ground and wait for the cops to take him to jail. but other than that this is a very informative thread for him. also i would use my hand gun and let wifey use the shotty to protect baby and herself, just mho

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 02-09-2009, 01:39 AM   #30

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Warning shot?? LTL shot?? It’s a personal defense weapon stupid not a public service warning device!

Why don’t you just hand over your car keys and your wife?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello