No such thing as too safe! (not for the squeamish) - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

No such thing as too safe! (not for the squeamish)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 12:51 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

prayers to you sir and thanks for reminder

Old 08-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #62

Good on you for posting and admitting your mistake. Good lesson for all. And you have a good story when people ask about the scar!!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:30 AM   #63

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justen.223

Doing well, just slight numbness in the pinky, but otherwise full mobility and usage. I know the pic are sketchy but 1 shows the 12" scar, the other shows the indention where the muscle mass is missing.
Wow, all I can say is wow. Just showed these pics to my boys, and reminded them what can happen from mishandling a gun. When I took me CCW course a while back (taught by a LEO), he told us a story about another LEO that was showing his girlfriend how the safety worked on his handgun. WITH A ROUND IN THE CHAMBER, and safety on, he pointed it as his head, pulled the trigger, and blew his head off!

There's a reason for all the safety guidelines, and they should be followed rigorously.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Old 09-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #64

All I can say is dang! Hope all has healed well. Thanks for the reminder, its way to easy to become complacent and forget basic safety.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Truly hope you heal up well. Thanks for sharing experience & photo.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #66

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Justin, your candor in sharing this is appreciated and might well prevent it from happening to someone else.

A few years back I noticed my own attention lapsing during conversation while handling guns. I introduce a lot of new shooters to our sport and decided that witnessing an ND would be a very poor way to get a new recruit on to our side of the fence.

For this reason I began double checking everything "before company arrived".

TACK

Old 09-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #67

Respect to you for candour. Hope you heal up and never get hurt again.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:32 AM   #68

Thank you very much for sharing. I'm glad to see you're doing much better. I will most definitely be using this lesson.

As the saying goes:

"A smart man learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others."

Old 09-23-2011, 02:59 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justen.223 View Post
I've always said "It'll never happen to me", not out of arrogance or disrespect, but because when it comes to safety, I'm the guy who checks, looks, and double checks. But the first time in my life, I have one laps in attention, and it bit me in the ass. For 1: I knew better, and 2: I knew better. By no means am I looking for sympathy, but merely trying to allow others to learn from my mistake, and advocate "There is no such thing as too safe" and "Always stay focused". The attached pic should be a good reminder as why.
Last Sunday (the 11th). A .40 s&w 140 grain self defense (hollow point for the unfamiliar) to the palm of the left hand @ point blank.

Learn from me please.....

Attachment 16376
Ouch! That's what I try to impress on the folks who take my hunter safety course. Essentially there is no such thing as a shooting accident. I've had a couple of mishaps over the last 50+ years of hunting and shooting so am not pointing any fingers at anyone else when I tell my students that every mishap with a firearm can be traced back to someone doing something stupid, be it a one time lapse in judgement or just plain Darwin Award material.
Hope your wound heals fast and well and that you use the mishap to continue to warn others about what can happen.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #70

Default Mind Blower

This sort of accident is a sobering reminder of how things in general can tailspin out of now where. It doesn't appear that you were careless. This seems to be a fluke; though there are reasons for flukes. After every mishap, which we all
have, it's back to the drawing board to reflect, while we're beating ourselves up for our carelessness. Let's face it, we are living in a pathology where we constantly have to be aware of everything all the time, even it we are calm about it. Obviously in God's kingdom the cancer will be removed, and Murphy's Law wont exist. In the mean time, thanks for the reminder. I pray the Lord's words sink into your mind and give your comfort during your intense trial.