No such thing as too safe! (not for the squeamish) - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > No such thing as too safe! (not for the squeamish)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Thanks for sharing!

Any details on what not to do?
some don'ts....
1)don't ever assume its unloaded, check it, then check it again,
2)don't ever allow anything thats not going to be shot, pass or get in front of your barrel.
3)don't ever assume its unloaded, check it, then check it again,

some do's
1)use common sense and if for what ever reason you become distracted, go back three steps or better yet...start over.
2)pay attention to the task you are involved in
3)dont get into a hurry...thats when you are most likely to screw up

In God We Trust...all others must pay cash.

“ A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. "

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/no-such-thing-too-safe-not-squeamish-29396/

Old 07-17-2010, 06:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
Damn, bet you won't do THAT twice! Seriously, hope you have a full recovery.

There was a similar post a while back.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/glock-accidental-45-cal-into-hand-pics-25219/
i just read that post and is shockingly very similar to my own experience...i too cussed my self for things went wrong (again because i knew better), my ears never rang either, however i did hear the blast, but it was very faint, almost like a little kids cap gun, I presume this was because my palm muffled the sound. dut i didn't, and thus far havent had pain enough to take meds for...knock on wood. must have cauterized the nerve endings or something.

i stayed really calm, my buddy however, who is a ex deputy for a texas county, went absolutely goobers...i remember telling my self that "as nuts as he is getting...i have to stay calm, i have no choice...plus we cant have two nut-jobs at one time".

another side note...when the bullet made its exit, it blew my metal watch band apart, and i assume thats what split the bullet into two major pieces. 1 jewked off at a odd angle and went into a gas can on the floor, where that half stayed. and the other hit the windshield of my motorcycle, ricochet down onto the front fender and the rolled off on the floor. there are still a few small fragments still in my wrist that were to risky to remove. county sheriff dept. still has my pistol but have said that i will get it back after process. what ever the hell they're processing it for. and no citation has been issued either.

“ A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. "

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/no-such-thing-too-safe-not-squeamish-29396/

Last edited by Justen.223; 07-17-2010 at 07:00 AM.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Good luck and heal up!

Old 07-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
jbd

Holy crap buddy. Get better and be safe. Thanks for sharing with us I am going to show this to my two sons 15 and 13. I always talk and show them the safe way around firearms but I bet your picture can help drive what I have been teaching them for years home.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That hurts to look at. I hope you heal up and are left with nothing but stories to tell your grandkids!

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #16

accident happen even to the best of us mine was with a snow blower and like with what was said before i new better. i have all my fingers thanks to good doctors hope you both heal and never repeat

let no talents go unused

Old 07-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1884 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 2123

Default Sh$t Happens

I'll stick with wrestling Gators. My hand is healing fast. But you my Friend must be in a world of hurt. Seems it is always the unloaded gun that does the worst damage. God Bless

Old 07-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justen.223 View Post
i stayed really calm, my buddy however, who is a ex deputy for a texas county, went absolutely goobers....
That's funny, I can see it too, if you hadn't just blown a hole in your hand you might have laughed out loud at him.

You would think though, that a former LEO would stay a lttle calmer in a situation like that.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-18-2010, 01:49 AM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I hope this isn't in poor taste but.... I have to know...

Did he buy the gun after seeing how it performs or did you decide to keep it due to the history you have with it?

Old 07-18-2010, 02:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
I hope this isn't in poor taste but.... I have to know...

Did he buy the gun after seeing how it performs or did you decide to keep it due to the history you have with it?
I have decided to keep it. Even if the everyday sight of my scars (once healed) isn't a reminder enough, I'm going to have in wood frame, glass front, show case and hang it up.