You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

NO-GO ZONES: 6 Locations to avoid ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2017, 01:33 AM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8173 Times on 4467 Posts
Likes Given: 13941

i do have a Facebook page, and i'm very picky and selective in who i allow on my friends list. i am very selective in what i post on Facebook as well, and keep my privacy settings only to allow those on my friends list to see the things i post.

my main use of Facebook is to stay in touch with family and friends that live far off that i don't see a lot of. much of what i discuss on Facebook is pretty neutral for the most part, and very seldom do i discuss political or hot topic issues.
People Like This 
Old 08-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #92
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2104 Times on 923 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

After reading this entire thread I'm happy I live where I do!
People today have become so politically correct that they are either unable or unwilling to recognize the threat when it moves in.

Last edited by Pasquanel; 08-12-2017 at 02:12 PM.
People Like This 
Old 08-12-2017, 08:07 PM   #93

Liked 1319 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 2276

Exactly. Privacy is a right as is personal or communication with group of friends, church, or at American Legion, SAR, or anywhere.
Google monitors and retains and sells all, of our information and for other purposes.
I suppose everyone has received lots of targeted advertisements, from info garnered on line from looking at sites of interest.
We have recently received some addressed specifically to my wife and to us both by name. The didn't get our names here but somehow did. I haven't bought anything online in a long time....but we pay bills online.
If we met at the Golf and Country club for meetings it would not be retained online. If we exchanged post by ail it wouldn't be retained.
Why should it be retained by a business, or anyone else not in the room with us, not on the group with us, or addressed by us.
Are they curious what we say or think and why? Why should it be their business?

Old 08-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #94

Liked 788 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 2924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reforger83 View Post
Washington is definitely a "No-Go"....
That's one of the reasons I left that state, freeways in the Seattle area alone are a good reason to be a "NO-GO", IMHO. Also their politics really sucks, big time, but there are many good things about the state that I liked, saltwater fishing, Cascade hiking and fishing in rivers, streams and lakes. But since it's been many years since I lived there, those things could be just a good memory. So, that's the reason we're grateful to live here in the S.W. corner of Oregon, were neighbors are pretty much like minded and we look out for one another.

Last edited by Viking; 08-12-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 08-12-2017, 09:03 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbucket View Post
Exactly. Privacy is a right as is personal or communication with group of friends, church, or at American Legion, SAR, or anywhere.
Google monitors and retains and sells all, of our information and for other purposes.
I suppose everyone has received lots of targeted advertisements, from info garnered on line from looking at sites of interest.
We have recently received some addressed specifically to my wife and to us both by name. The didn't get our names here but somehow did. I haven't bought anything online in a long time....but we pay bills online.
If we met at the Golf and Country club for meetings it would not be retained online. If we exchanged post by ail it wouldn't be retained.
Why should it be retained by a business, or anyone else not in the room with us, not on the group with us, or addressed by us.
but you make a choice to participate in online activities. and other than private emails, there is no expectation of privacy.

if you go online, you are using someone's property to navigate the internet. they have provided the infrastructure that allows you to access just about anything that is available on the internet.

internet providers have to pay for the equipment that allows you that access. so why is it they should be limited in advertising, and using information you provide to sell products to support having the equipment that allows you that access?

you have a choice. you are not obligated to participate online in any way. you could always remove the DSL line from computer to the phone outlet. get rid of your phone modem, and use snail male to correspond, and use your laptop to play Solitaire.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #96
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3634 Times on 2121 Posts
Likes Given: 2397

Facebook is like everything else in life, it is how you 'manage' it that matters!
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 08-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #97
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3691 Times on 1897 Posts
Likes Given: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbucket View Post
A lot of people are interested in you and what you buy, how much you spend, what you like to read, what your political positions are, whether you own guns, whether you donate to charity, what your skills and jobs are, your marital status, sexual orientation, where you go and when you go there, even what color socks you wear. They are going to gather and retain that information in the most efficient way possible.

When you post on web sites, it just makes it easier for them to build your personal profile that gets stored, permanently, in a data base for anyone willing to pay to access. It is the world we live in, and there is not a damn thing you can do about it. Your only hope for privacy in today's world would be to go off-line, use cash only and live in a cave out of reach of cameras. Even then, the previous information gathered is there.....forever....

You can whine about it or you could just accept the facts of life and roll with it, because the privacy train has left the station and you aren't going to stop it.
People Like This 
Old 08-14-2017, 08:56 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
A lot of people are interested in you and what you buy, how much you spend, what you like to read, what your political positions are, whether you own guns, whether you donate to charity, what your skills and jobs are, your marital status, sexual orientation, where you go and when you go there, even what color socks you wear. They are going to gather and retain that information in the most efficient way possible.

When you post on web sites, it just makes it easier for them to build your personal profile that gets stored, permanently, in a data base for anyone willing to pay to access. It is the world we live in, and there is not a damn thing you can do about it. Your only hope for privacy in today's world would be to go off-line, use cash only and live in a cave out of reach of cameras. Even then, the previous information gathered is there.....forever....

You can whine about it or you could just accept the facts of life and roll with it, because the privacy train has left the station and you aren't going to stop it.
that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #99
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5260 Times on 2826 Posts
Likes Given: 1733

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
That's one of the reasons I left that state, freeways in the Seattle area alone are a good reason to be a "NO-GO", IMHO. Also their politics really sucks, big time, but there are many good things about the state that I liked, saltwater fishing, Cascade hiking and fishing in rivers, streams and lakes. But since it's been many years since I lived there, those things could be just a good memory. So, that's the reason we're grateful to live here in the S.W. corner of Oregon, were neighbors are pretty much like minded and we look out for one another.
Like it or not Washington and Oregon have been Californicated. There are even places in California that people are still sane. They are vastly outnumbered though. The northern part of CA and the southern part of Oregon have been trying to form the State of Jefferson for decades. Seattle seems to run WA and Multnomah County/Portland seem to run OR. I hated to leave Klamath Falls but work ran out. Same for Pasco WA. Reagan made a big mistake there.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:07 AM   #100

living in very rural area, i pretty much avoid most of the political hot spots!

the wildlife down here don't give a rat's butt who i voted for!