nightmare - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > nightmare

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Lights, mirrors and security cameras. my security system has a panel in my bedroom and will let me know when and which door or window is opened. Motion sensors will give me a location of where an intruder is. I am considering installing security cameras also.
If you want to go all out, remote control shotguns monitored by security cameras. Semi auto with a fixed aim point and solenoid operated trigger. Keyed arming switch and a separate firing switch. Push a button and the gun fires. It is not a trap gun unless it is self operated. It may seem far out but I have seen this set up only the guns could be aimed remotely. A lot of bucks in that system.
Or....he can save some money and get him a damn dog or two. Sounds like you need one too!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmille01 View Post
What I can't figure out is why in the hell someone decided to put two doors leading out side in the same room.
How long have you been married; i'm guessing not as long as the designer.

You don't have to literally "brick up" a door to make it unusable; park a large heavy (noisy to move) piece of furniture in front of it.

Here is a scary thought for you: How many times have you been locked out and used a door to get in without a key compared to how many times you came in a window; how many windows do you have in your bedroom and then in the rest of the house? Do you have those windows nailed shut or deactivated with a blocking device (block of wood nailed into or otherwise attached to the frame securely)? Masking tape + window glass + fist = spare key.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:59 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Actually we have the stuff they use at school in our windows with the steel wire running through it and new locks on the windows (my idea wife hates it). I've been married for six years, I tried getting a dog told my wife to pick out the meanist looking son of a B**ch they had this is what I came home to, a tiny little puppy that is about a scary as half necked blond in the middle of a empty street.

photo0268.jpg  

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 06-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

The pup will bulk up; get him a scary spiked collar.

Good call on the windows. Perhaps some of those door blocker things that stick into the floor would help limit access to those willing to wake the house.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #15

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

My house wasn't designed to be tactical either...

Come out of my bedroom ( I live with my parents BTW) into one hallway and make a right into the intersection between the bedroom hallway, the entrance hallway, and the den.

The back door to the house is in the den in front of you, the front door and garage door is to my right down the hall..'

In other words, just gotta pick which direction you want to clear first and hope a BG doesn't jump you from the other direction.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #16

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

Quote:
yaaa just me and my wife... maybe I should brick up one of the doors so I don't have to worry about getting shot by her as well as the bugulurs. Or I could get claymores and just put it on the back door any one know where I can get some?

Get better/ heavier doors without all that glass. I have 4 doors in my house. 1 Is a 6ft slider. My 65lb Fox hound makes a great security system. The other 3 are, 2 Steel, 1 2" Spruce. The wood one is over 400 pounds.
Hey, just think. W/ more doors you have more exits!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:28 AM   #17

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've always enjoyed the "Home turf advantage" approach. Your house doesn't need to be tactical if you are. You could do a lot with a knife and strict light discipline. Get some blackout curtains and have furniture making sharp turns and anybody that breaks in is going to be easy to find and engage, even if you can't see. They might have a flashlight, but thats like painting a target on their own backs. Worst case scenario is they have night vision goggles, and all you have to do is shine a strobelight for a second or two and they've incapacitated themselves (works on people without goggles, too.)

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 06-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I find one of the basic requirements to a dilemma like yours is to immediately get yourself a dog. They are perhaps one of the best home security alarms. I have for my home a ADT Home Security alarm system, PLUS two great dogs saved from a nearby kill-shelter. Not even the mailman or anyone can come close to 20 yards of our driveway, let alone the house, when these two come roaring out of their docile positions like two raving, pissed-off alarms. And if I don't respond they come looking for me and running back barking their heads off and growling at the same time. What I'm impressing upon you is that you need the extra seconds, if not minutes, to prepare and defend your home.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

To be honest I think I'm going to set up a siege bar on one of the doors so it makes it harder to kick in... I know I probably sound a little crazy. It worked when I was in New York, not to mention they pretty much have to rip a 4x4 out of the wall to open a door or use a breaching charge either way I would be woken up. Main problem with getting a bigger dog right now is my wife keeps telling my she's going to come and her dogs going to dead because the bigger one got hungry.

I still keep telling her if anything the new dog will have a new chew toy, but still that's pretty much the only thing stopping me. Besides German Shepherds what would be a good dog to get for my home.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 06-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
To be honest I think I'm going to set up a siege bar on one of the doors so it makes it harder to kick in... I know I probably sound a little crazy. It worked when I was in New York, not to mention they pretty much have to rip a 4x4 out of the wall to open a door or use a breaching charge either way I would be woken up. Main problem with getting a bigger dog right now is my wife keeps telling my she's going to come and her dogs going to dead because the bigger one got hungry.

I still keep telling her if anything the new dog will have a new chew toy, but still that's pretty much the only thing stopping me. Besides German Shepherds what would be a good dog to get for my home.
Rotty, Malimute, Doberman, all great with family settings. If you have kids, stay away from Dalmations, they hate kids. Anything big with an even temper towards the family really. People just hate dogs!