Newer user. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Newer user.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
Dammit you guys dont you get it, the second amendment wasn't written to look pretty on paper......come on get with the program.
Ahhh, but was the pretty amendment written to look on the 2nd paper?

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 07-15-2011, 12:53 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Look for a firearm that has the following: A stock, a barrel, sights, hammer/striker, firing pin, magazine, cylinder or chamber, trigger guard, proper springs, safety system if applicable, and that fires a caliber you like and is new or in good working condition, and legal to own/purchase.

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Old 07-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #13

Is this appropriate for the matter, or are we going to continue making fun of my signature?

Old 07-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Let me see if I get this correct...
You are a survivalist. What is the main purpose of the firearm? Hunting? Protection? Target practice?

Your original post does not help to clarify that. SHTF? Well, again, how do you plan to use the firearm?

IMO, one cannot go wrong with a .357Magnum revolver, a .22LR Rifle, a centerfire rifle, and a pump shotgun (20ga or 12).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopekanSurvivalist View Post
Btw jca1, thank you for the deeply thought out response, because of your post my IQ has now dropped 20 points, I appreciate the kind offering of information. I had no clue that my rifle would need a stock and a barrel. Thanks. Stfu now.
Sorry, you may also want sling points.

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Old 07-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #16

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

What's going on in the forum lately? Seems like a lot of folks have been in the heat too much and are getting testy. Give the kid a break and let him learn something, constructively. I haven't see anything from him that looks like the trolls who appeared recently.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 07-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
IMO, one cannot go wrong with a .357Magnum revolver, a .22LR Rifle, a centerfire rifle, and a pump shotgun (20ga or 12).
I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but this list is a solid one for most any purpose, SHTF-wise, imo.

SHTF-wise, I have a Ruger GP100 in .357/.38special, with a 6" barrel; it would be good for defense and a bit of limited deer hunting (close brush). I have a couple of .22's, my Marlin60 would be my go-to for SHTF squirrel/rabbit hunting & ammo is VERY cheap. My Mossy pump 12 is my primary weapon; it has a 18.5" barrel for home defense and a 28" modified choke barrel for bird/squirrel/rabbit etc. If i recall correctly, the cylinder bore short barrel should be fine for slugs, making it a serviceable deer gun or bear defense. Centerfire rifle-wise, i am limiting it to a SKS that uses a mediumish rifle round that would be fine for defensive use or hunting out to maybe 150 yards with a scope, if you can figure out how to mount one on the dang thing.

The ammunition for these weapons is WIDELY available and common and not horribly expensive. They all have multiple purposes and some drawbacks.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8841 Times on 3827 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Welcome to the forum- ignore the grouchy ones. Label fell off their red crayon, and now they don't know what color it is.

Yours is an EXTREMELY broad question, so I am going to give you a broad answer. You need a "Minimum Battery"- with battery used in the sense of a grouping of firearms.

A friend who is a professor of Veterninary Medicine at Virginia Tech publishes a blog about hunting, fishing, and guns- and does a pretty good job of writing. This is a link to his blog- click HERE: THE NEW RIVER VALLEY OUTDOORSMAN

On the left side of the blog, scroll WAY down until you come to "Minium Battery". If you are new to owning or buying guns, that would be a good place to start.

When shopping for a gun, either know the gun, or know the seller. Find a local gunshop in your home state- better yet, find a few, and find the ones that have helpful staff that know what they are talking about. May not be the biggest. THOSE are the people you will want to do business with.

Check with the shop, and check with your State Rifle Association to find where you can shoot, and where you can get some instruction in shooting WELL. Learning rifle, shotgun and pistol are all different. Be willing to look at USED guns that are in good condition. Well made guns from quality makers are durable, and will last longer than you.

When you refine your questions, come on back around. In the meantime, a good .22 rifle is a great starting point- inexpensive to buy and to shoot, and a good learning tool.

As far as the Second Amendment- it was from a gent from my home state- George Mason- largely overlooked by history. His first draft of what BECAME the Bill of Rights included this:

"17. That the People have a Right to keep and to bear Arms; that a well regulated Militia, composed of the Body of the People, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe Defence of a free State; that Standing Armies in Time of Peace are dangerous to Liberty, and therefore ought to be avoided as far as the Circumstances and Protection of the Community will admit; and that in all Cases, the military should be under strict Subordination to, and governed by the Civil Power."

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Chill man. We have had some unusual new members lately; some seemed to have a hidden agenda or something.

If you are a youngster, i STRONGLY suggest a .22 rifle to start with. They are sooooo cheap to feed and usually less expensive to buy. A ruger 10-22 or a Marlin model 60 or something along those lines would provide much plinkin fun & some useful small game killin ability.

I also would NOT want to get shot by a .22.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #20

I apologise for the obscenity. However that Still does not mean that I will allow trolls to do that.