New youtube Slideshow (Home Defense Kit)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > New youtube Slideshow (Home Defense Kit)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 01:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default New youtube Slideshow (Home Defense Kit)

I just posted a new video (slideshow) on youtube titled "HOME DEFENSE KIT".

I am putting this out there in the hopes that someone may have a visual reference for putting together a good, serviceable kit for basic home defense. This is very basic in nature on purpose so I can possibly avoid confusing someone that may be new to this kind of subject.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-27-2009, 02:07 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Nice. Good info for the huge influx of people wanting to be more personal protection oriented.

Kinda silent though.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:20 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Good job Sarge. I hope the uninformed masses will take heed.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 04-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice job Sgt, this guy might have one uped you

Another another add not mentioned is a spare remote for your car, hit the alarm button and wake the neighbors. I believe the best defense is a good offense. Motions activated lights, security system including video monitor and record, big dogs. Make your home less of a target and the bad guy will go for an easier target.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

That's ok. It's not a contest...lol.

I'm trying to find something decent as far as a little tune to put with it so it's not so silent.

I'm trying to look for an actual video camera so I can make some real youtube vids to put up, but my funds are limited.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

A series of questions:

1.) Why a knife?
a.) Why a folding knife?

2.) Why no long gun?

3.) Why no first aid equipment?

Old 04-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Remember, this is just a basic example of a kit. It doesn't matter what knife it is, and I didn't include tons of other things, like rifles / shotguns, first aid kits, pepper sprays, dogs, alarms, locks, and all the other tools that can be used.

I'm just trying to give someone a starting point. They can adapt from there. I don't want to risk confusing anybody or creating an unneeded debate over the details (i.e. folding knife over fixed blade, etc...).

I will say that the reason I chose to use a pistol as an example over a longarm, is the simple fact that you can move easier with a pistol with less chance of the weapon being taken from you (that is, if you need to move. It's better to stay in one place if possible).

Old 04-27-2009, 11:26 PM   #8

Default Good Questions?

1.) Why a knife?
a.) Why a folding knife?

2.) Why no long gun?

3.) Why no first aid equipment?

I believe you have some very valid questions?

Along with that self defense training in a real life situation? There are many individuals that have never experienced a real life invasion and tactics?

Not to mention the after-math Maybe I'm wrong (NOT!), but I believe the whole package should be apart of a self-defense program(what is real?).
And a pump shotgun is better for a novice in home protection? Unless you are an experienced pistol shooter? JMO

Old 04-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

They are valid questions, and those questions can be discussed and debated at length.

I will say again, that what I posted is NOT the definitive kit to have. It is just an example to help someone that may have a question, or may need a visual aid to get them started.

We could go a million different directions with the many tools / firearms / weapons that can be used for home defense.

The main thing is what works for one will not work for another. An example is a long gun will not work for me in defending my home. There is too many angles, and alot of cramped spaces that would limit my effectiveness with a rifle/shotgun. With that said, there are people out there that will be better served with a longarm versus a pistol.

I would rather not go into the debate over which shotgun, or pistol is better, because it can go both ways. You may say that a pump action shotgun is great for a novice, but I disagree. I have seen many novices try to correctly work a pump action shotgun and fail (and that was under no-stress range situations). I tend to go with Clint Smith's philosophy about the simple, easy to use revolver. If it is kept loaded, the revolver is a simple "point and click" interface.

I don't want to confuse the beginner out there with meaningless debate that will never be resolved over the internet. I just want to give an idea of something that may work, and it if sparks more idea from the person watching, then great.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:16 AM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Well done Sgt. So many people have no kit at all. K.I.S.S. for beginners.