Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   New youtube Slideshow (Home Defense Kit) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/new-youtube-slideshow-home-defense-kit-13264/)

SGT-MILLER 04-27-2009 01:20 AM

New youtube Slideshow (Home Defense Kit)

I just posted a new video (slideshow) on youtube titled "HOME DEFENSE KIT".

I am putting this out there in the hopes that someone may have a visual reference for putting together a good, serviceable kit for basic home defense. This is very basic in nature on purpose so I can possibly avoid confusing someone that may be new to this kind of subject.

dnthmn2004 04-27-2009 02:07 AM

Nice. Good info for the huge influx of people wanting to be more personal protection oriented.

Kinda silent though.:rolleyes:

chopkick 04-27-2009 02:20 AM

Good job Sarge. I hope the uninformed masses will take heed.

WDB 04-27-2009 09:06 AM

Nice job Sgt, this guy might have one uped you

Another another add not mentioned is a spare remote for your car, hit the alarm button and wake the neighbors. I believe the best defense is a good offense. Motions activated lights, security system including video monitor and record, big dogs. Make your home less of a target and the bad guy will go for an easier target.

SGT-MILLER 04-27-2009 01:08 PM

That's ok. It's not a contest...lol. :)

I'm trying to find something decent as far as a little tune to put with it so it's not so silent. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to look for an actual video camera so I can make some real youtube vids to put up, but my funds are limited.

ranger_sxt 04-27-2009 07:42 PM

A series of questions:

1.) Why a knife?
a.) Why a folding knife?

2.) Why no long gun?

3.) Why no first aid equipment?

SGT-MILLER 04-27-2009 11:11 PM

Remember, this is just a basic example of a kit. It doesn't matter what knife it is, and I didn't include tons of other things, like rifles / shotguns, first aid kits, pepper sprays, dogs, alarms, locks, and all the other tools that can be used.

I'm just trying to give someone a starting point. They can adapt from there. I don't want to risk confusing anybody or creating an unneeded debate over the details (i.e. folding knife over fixed blade, etc...).

I will say that the reason I chose to use a pistol as an example over a longarm, is the simple fact that you can move easier with a pistol with less chance of the weapon being taken from you (that is, if you need to move. It's better to stay in one place if possible).

rugermike 04-27-2009 11:26 PM

Good Questions?

1.) Why a knife?
a.) Why a folding knife?

2.) Why no long gun?

3.) Why no first aid equipment?

I believe you have some very valid questions?:confused:

Along with that self defense training in a real life situation? There are many individuals that have never experienced a real life invasion and tactics? :mad:

Not to mention the after-math:( Maybe I'm wrong (NOT!), but I believe the whole package should be apart of a self-defense program(what is real?).
And a pump shotgun is better for a novice in home protection? Unless you are an experienced pistol shooter? :rolleyes:JMO

SGT-MILLER 04-27-2009 11:46 PM

They are valid questions, and those questions can be discussed and debated at length.

I will say again, that what I posted is NOT the definitive kit to have. It is just an example to help someone that may have a question, or may need a visual aid to get them started.

We could go a million different directions with the many tools / firearms / weapons that can be used for home defense.

The main thing is what works for one will not work for another. An example is a long gun will not work for me in defending my home. There is too many angles, and alot of cramped spaces that would limit my effectiveness with a rifle/shotgun. With that said, there are people out there that will be better served with a longarm versus a pistol.

I would rather not go into the debate over which shotgun, or pistol is better, because it can go both ways. You may say that a pump action shotgun is great for a novice, but I disagree. I have seen many novices try to correctly work a pump action shotgun and fail (and that was under no-stress range situations). I tend to go with Clint Smith's philosophy about the simple, easy to use revolver. If it is kept loaded, the revolver is a simple "point and click" interface.

I don't want to confuse the beginner out there with meaningless debate that will never be resolved over the internet. I just want to give an idea of something that may work, and it if sparks more idea from the person watching, then great.

Jo da Plumbr 04-28-2009 12:16 AM

Well done Sgt. So many people have no kit at all. K.I.S.S. for beginners.