New Shooters: Tips and Traps

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > New Shooters: Tips and Traps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default New Shooters: Tips and Traps

While working my way through my email inbox this morning, I came across a couple of articles I’d like to share. They are posted on the Personal Defense Network, an excellent site for news and information about the use of firearms for self defense.
http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/home

Here are the articles that caught my eye, and cover two topics I’ve frequently seen discussed and debated on the 14 gun forums I subscribe to.

New Shooters: Tips and Traps
http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/articles/defensive-firearm-training/new-shooters-tips-and-traps/?utm_source=cc&utm_medium=email&utm_term=read-more&utm_content=shooters-tips-traps&utm_campaign=newsletter033011

“Whether you’re just getting into it yourself or are a veteran shooter looking to help someone else, there are some definite "dos" (and "don'ts") related to introducing someone to the gun, shooting, and self-defense communities.”

The Concealed Carry Trap
http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/articles/tactics-defensive-issues/the-concealed-carry-trap/?utm_source=cc&utm_medium=email&utm_term=read-more&utm_content=concealed-carry-trap&utm_campaign=newsletter033011

“Unfortunately, most students who graduate from a concealed carry course don’t know what they don’t know. Thinking that a carry class will prepare them for lethal combat on the street is a dangerous mistake to make. “

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Thinking that a carry class will prepare them for lethal combat on the street is a dangerous mistake to make.

carry class = 8 hours

preparing for lethal combat = 8 months

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 04-03-2011, 03:49 AM   #3

When it comes right down to it, NOTHING can prepare you for that moment when another human's life hangs in the balance.

"I CAN'T SEE MY BALD HEAD IN THIS BULK HEAD, SAILOR! WHY IN THE HELL NOT? AM I NOT PRETTY ENOUGH FOR YOU TO SHINE IT SO I CAN SEE MY BALD HEAD?" ~Lt. Vincent Folvs~

"Let the Marines storm the bunker and get shot at. We'll just blow their asses up from 50 miles out to sea." ~Admiral Josh Chinres~

"If you hit your head on my ship, you'd better not get your blood on my deck, Sailor." ~Ensign Vincent Van Burq~

Old 04-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #4

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

As a "new shooter"-AKA new CCW permit holder, my first concern was~~~

~~~(drumroll)~~~~~~ avoiding a ND at all costs.

I can't help wondering how many "new shooters" wind up pulling a Barney

at least once...