Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > New Shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynejc View Post
My brother is coming in from California in a few weeks and he is bringing some friends with him. NONE of his friends have ever shot a gun and are really wanting to, and I definately plan on letting them as it has changed views towards them (guns) in the past when I have let non shooters shoot. I have grown up around guns and safety is second nature to me, however I am usually correcting someone after they have the gun in their hands and not before. What are some "pointers" that I can give to them before handing them a gun? Like I said it is natural to me, and I go over general safe handling before I hand a gun to a non shooter, but it seems like there is always something that I have forgotten. So what I am asking is: What would a range officer or firearms instructor go over with them BEFORE allowing them to fire? I will not hand a loaded firearm over until we have gone over the rules of safe handling. I just dont want to miss anything this time as there will several people, but only one shooting at a time.

I have the "rules" listed in the book that comes with guns, what I am looking for is other unmentioned rules.

If you want to give me a call, I can give you some of our basic handgun course outline that will get you started.

Or you can PM me with your phone number and email address. My number is on our web page if you need it.
jpaletta@stonecobratactical.com

"Train like your life depends on it"

Old 05-17-2010, 02:42 AM   #12

We went shooting today. Everyone was great, wish I could say the same for my sig! My HK USP sustained HEAVY use without ANY problems, my sig jammed every round from the first to second mag then got put away. I first thought it was the ammo so I switched and it didnt solve it. Not sure what the issue is will have to look at it tomorrow. One of the guys is seeking a career in law enforcement. If shooting was all that was required, he would be there already. WOW a natural! Just wanted to let you all know that all went well. Thanks for the tips.

If we dont stand together we dont stand a chance. unknown

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Old 05-17-2010, 02:55 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Glad it went well. A fun day at the range is a great way to bring more followers to our side.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:38 AM   #14

Laynejc, glad you had a good safe time brother. The jamming could be 1 million things. This can be common on tight chammbered Sig's from what I have seen. Your grip and how tight your grip can cause stove piping if to light and loose, just a bit of info. I love wheel guns for personal protection for this reason and I am ( at least what I call) experienced semi-auto shooter. Just have fun though safety is important, but if you cannot have fun why do it. Remeber what russ said if everyone knew how fun shooting was they would say" to much willmake you go blind" or "shooting can cause something unhealthy ". Well I'm sure you get the point but we do need more folks on our side of the fence as russ wrote !!!