Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > New Shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 02:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Shooters

My brother is coming in from California in a few weeks and he is bringing some friends with him. NONE of his friends have ever shot a gun and are really wanting to, and I definately plan on letting them as it has changed views towards them (guns) in the past when I have let non shooters shoot. I have grown up around guns and safety is second nature to me, however I am usually correcting someone after they have the gun in their hands and not before. What are some "pointers" that I can give to them before handing them a gun? Like I said it is natural to me, and I go over general safe handling before I hand a gun to a non shooter, but it seems like there is always something that I have forgotten. So what I am asking is: What would a range officer or firearms instructor go over with them BEFORE allowing them to fire? I will not hand a loaded firearm over until we have gone over the rules of safe handling. I just dont want to miss anything this time as there will several people, but only one shooting at a time.

I have the "rules" listed in the book that comes with guns, what I am looking for is other unmentioned rules.

If we dont stand together we dont stand a chance. unknown

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Last edited by laynejc; 04-06-2010 at 02:49 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2010, 03:57 AM   #2

The best thing to do is actually show them all and demonstrate together and allow them to ask questions. When shooting do a one on one with each person and many times they will appreciate the added aid and confidence this will add to their experience. Remember you treat every weapons as loaded no matter what, you also treat non-shooters like they know nothing no matter what !
Don't mean to sound harsh but you cannot be to safe with people you do not know with loaded weapons no matter what. You do not want an accident.
I am sure you will do well teaching a small firearms safety class and have fun with it.

Jim

Old 04-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.
Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.
Be sure of your target and what is beyond.
Keep your finger outside the trigger guard and off the trigger until your ready to fire.

Teach them these four safety rules and always keep the action open when handling and passing firearms. At the range the action remains clear and open until the muzzle is pointed down range.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #4

I don't know what it is, maybe me but I think people listen more intently to an outsider.

Example: For my wife and kids I found a Youtube video that I liked. Now, I know there are some real idiots on Youtube but I found few, out of the hundreds, that said what I wanted to say, was entertaining and authoritative. I saved them to my favorites and when the time came to take them out, I had them sit and watch the videos. That way they got the same thing from some one else, a perceived expert, and it went further. Again I don't what it is but...

Marlin 882SS
Century C-93

Old 04-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #5

i think you should call them at once and tell them the safety factors all togater before letting the handle the guns

Old 04-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

To take Joe’s recommendation of keeping the action open and clear when handling and passing firearms one step further, I like to point at the open action / chamber and show the person I am handing the weapon to, that it is empty.

Have them each demonstrate their understanding of the operation of the safety, slide release, bolt, charging handle. . . . before loading the weapon. Have them explain to you what exactly they are going to do before you let them do it. This probably works better with a smaller group, as the ones in the back of the line might start losing patience. Depending on how large your group is, choose two out of the group to train everyone else after you’ve trained them. You must supervise the two trainers and make corrections as necessary, but they are more likely to pay attention to what you are teaching knowing that they are going to be the trainers next. And they are more likely to ask questions when they get to something they don’t quite understand because they won’t want to teach something wrong. At least this has been my experience.

Something additional that I like to go over with new folks after all of the safety rules are clear and understood is sight picture. Does the top of the front sight stay even with the top of the rear sight or at the bottom, or in the middle? How do peep sights look, or what should I see when looking through a scope? Like you say, it’s all things we take for granted, but getting folks more towards the middle of the paper makes it a better experience.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.
Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.
Be sure of your target and what is beyond.
Keep your finger outside the trigger guard and off the trigger until your ready to fire.

Teach them these four safety rules and always keep the action open when handling and passing firearms. At the range the action remains clear and open until the muzzle is pointed down range.
Excellent. Start there. Repeat it often. Have them repeat it to you. Make them demonstrate it with a stick.

Then teach them, in this order, with an unloaded gun and no ammunition in the area:

The parts:
- Trigger and guard
- Safety mechanisms, if available
- Magazine/chamber
- Hammer, if available
- Slide, if available
- Decocker, if available
- Clearing

Then:

- Grip
- Stance
- Breathing
- Site Picture

They should be out-shooting you in no time.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2277 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Trigger control is as important as anything else. Control the pull as well as the release. Too many beginners do not know (or are not taught) that an uncontrolled release will affect the shot. I try to teach that the release of the trigger should be at the same speed of pulling to beginners. Watch other shooters on the range and try to copy their trigger control pull and release (with an unloaded gun). You will find that the front sight will move if they are not done correctly.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 04-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #9

Stressing the safety rules is paramount. Everybody else has pretty much covered ways of handling that. About the only thing I might add is having them dry-fire from the firing line to demonstrate they have gotten the rules incorporated into their minds - too many times I've dealt with folks who could recite the 4 Rules underwater but just totally could not perform them once the gun got into their hands. (Anybody else have a really stoked first-time shooter turn around with a great big and ask "Did you see that?" while sweeping everybody and ending up centered on your stomach? does not cover the feeling!) That may be why I start new shooters off with one bullet at a time. At least if they screw up the chances of someone getting hurt are lessened.

But these are new shooters and you want them to have fun - safe fun.

So what are you going to do about making sure they enjoy their first shooting experience? Making sure they get on paper is important - making sure they get inside the black is even more important. Reactive targets? I'm talking about everything from pepper-poppers to balloons to soda crackers - stuff your range will allow that will show your new shooters that they really did hit that target.

stay safe.

skidmark

Old 04-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #10

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

+1 skid, and the last thing you want to do is set a first time shooter on a 50 yard target. Not gonna work.

I start and continue with safety. New shooters must understand the gravity of safety when handling or just in the presents of firearms. I like to do this at home where the lesson is not holding up, or bothering other shooters. It sounds like you have the safety thing in hand.

Never let noobies shoot unsupervised! Things can go wrong real quick so one-on-one is a must.

When it's time to go hot, I always start my nickie-newguy with the smallest caliber or lightest recoil weapon in my arsenal. I also set the target no more than CQB distance. (4m ~12.5') Nothing frustrates a new shooter like emptying a gun and not hitting the paper. Success breeds success. Have them shoot at close range until they are tired of it and ask for more of a challenge. (This is for first timers only.) If they shoot close all day, and are placing their hits well, your outing will be a hoot for all.

Concentrate on technique and not competition! They will be there to “learn” and not to find out who has the biggest penis. They will try to take it there but don’t allow it to happen and you will have a much more successful outing!

Good luck and thanks for providing folks the opportunity to enjoy/experience our great hobby!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello