New to guns, figured this would be a good place to start. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > New to guns, figured this would be a good place to start.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1361 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

I waited until my boys were around 8 or 9 and introduced them to safe shooting with an inexpensive bb gun. We had very strict rules. They had to demostrate safe gun handling to me for at least a year before they were allowed to step up to .22s.

But if I were you, OP, since you are new to guns, educate yourself first, take some gun-handling and shooting courses, get yourself qualified before you even think about introducing kids. Until then, follow the other advice on here about locks, etc. And you can always start teaching gun safety to kids with a toy gun.

Last edited by 7point62; 09-19-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #12

Liked 2043 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 392

welcome to firearms ownership. Keep that .45 whatever else you do!

I keep my rifles and handguns under lock and key. Suggest that anyone with kids in the house (including grandkids on occasion) secure their firearms

+1 on firearms safety training, you and the kids can take it together.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for all the answers. I'll definitely teach all the kids about gun safety, and per the advice here I'll include my 5 year old son.

This is the gun vault I was considering. Is this a decent one and will it hold both my 22 and my 45?

Gunvault MVB500 on Amazon

Right now I borrowed a locking aluminum gun case from my bro in law, but the locks are cheesy (I could easily get into this thing).

Old 09-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Teach your kids- you really think you can hide ANYTHING where they will not find it? HAH !

Now, not to be a wet blanket, but there was a safety recall on some of the Sears bolt action shotguns. I assume yours is marked J.C. Higgins, and has a 583 dot something model number. If you can give me the model number, I can let you know if yours is one of the recalled.

The High Standards were EXCELLENT pistols- would not trade that one for anything.

And the pistol vault (not case)- yes, there are print readers (rather pricey) and ones that use a push button combo (less $$$). Be sure that you put it somewhere that you can bolt it to something solid. Otherwise the whole thing walks off.
I'm pretty sure my shotgun is that one w/ the recall. I did some research and found out the bolt only comes out (and consequently hits you in the face) if the set screw isn't tight. From what I've read, these are OK shotguns as long as you keep after maintenance. Locktite on the set screw should eliminate the bolt issue.

As far as the 22, I think I may have fixed the reason I was considering getting rid of it, but I won't know for sure until I get more info either here (I started a thread in semi-auto section) or I may take it to a gun shop near me. Just have to find someone that's familiar w/ these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
welcome to firearms ownership. Keep that .45 whatever else you do!

I keep my rifles and handguns under lock and key. Suggest that anyone with kids in the house (including grandkids on occasion) secure their firearms

+1 on firearms safety training, you and the kids can take it together.
I love the 45, this one isn't going anywhere

Old 09-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsk8 View Post
Thanks for all the answers. I'll definitely teach all the kids about gun safety, and per the advice here I'll include my 5 year old son.

This is the gun vault I was considering. Is this a decent one and will it hold both my 22 and my 45?

Right now I borrowed a locking aluminum gun case from my bro in law, but the locks are cheesy (I could easily get into this thing).
Its a perfectly satisfactory vault, but it will only hold one handgun. I use this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/583719/gunvault-deluxe-multivault-personal-electronic-safe-10-x-8-x-14-black

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #16

Liked 2043 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:

I have something similar. It is definitely child-proof

Old 09-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2866 Times on 1665 Posts
Likes Given: 1691

Welcome and congrats on receiving such mementos of your grandfather.

You have not mentioned in this thread whether or not you plan to shoot your late grandfather's pistols and shotgun. Also, whether or not you have any other guns in the house, and whether or not you are comfortable and familiar with guns.

Depending on your situation, not bringing any ammunition into the house is a safety measure that, although not foolproof, goes a long way toward avoiding any mishaps.

My hope is that you do have a certain amount of knowledge and familiarity with firearms, and that you will expand your firearms knowledge through training and experience at the range. This includes your family and their future well being.

Unfortunately, we don't live in that world I grew up in where I never had a house key, the doors were never locked and the keys were just left in the car/truck overnight.

You've found a great fountain of knowledge here at FirearmsTalk that can be used as a foundation for improving your firearms experiences and safety.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

mattsk8 Likes This 
Old 09-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Welcome and congrats on receiving such mementos of your grandfather.

You have not mentioned in this thread whether or not you plan to shoot your late grandfather's pistols and shotgun. Also, whether or not you have any other guns in the house, and whether or not you are comfortable and familiar with guns.

Depending on your situation, not bringing any ammunition into the house is a safety measure that, although not foolproof, goes a long way toward avoiding any mishaps.

My hope is that you do have a certain amount of knowledge and familiarity with firearms, and that you will expand your firearms knowledge through training and experience at the range. This includes your family and their future well being.

Unfortunately, we don't live in that world I grew up in where I never had a house key, the doors were never locked and the keys were just left in the car/truck overnight.

You've found a great fountain of knowledge here at FirearmsTalk that can be used as a foundation for improving your firearms experiences and safety.
Thanks for the info and questions.

I grew up w/ a mom that hated guns so we never had any, but I grew up in a rural area and everyone I know had a stockpile of guns. I have been skeet shooting once w/ a 12 gauge, and I've only fired a gun a few times at targets. Both of my brother in laws are hunters and each have a few guns of their own (including some handguns), and many good friends of mine have guns and they all hunt. One of my best friends is very much a gun collector. My uncle owned a gun store.

A few years ago I was looking into getting a gun just for target practice and protection and decided on a .38. Unfortunately my wife wasn't comfortable w/ me having it in the house, or w/ me spending the money on it. She's good now w/ me inheriting the guns from my grandpa, so I think it was more about the money . She is still a bit uncomfortable w/ them in the house, but I think that's a good thing just because she keeps safety first.

As far as shooting them goes, I plan on using the shotgun and the 22 a lot. One of my friends has a very nice shooting area he set up in his yard, while a lot of other friends have land they shoot on (I live in a fairly rural area). I will also shoot the .45, but not much just because of what it is. But I will definitely have rounds for all 3.

So, based on all that the short version is these are my very first guns and, aside from being around my good friends who own guns, I have no real experience w/ owning a firearm.

As far as being familiar w/ them goes, just enough to know how to use one. But this is definitely new to me.

As far as comfortable, I am a bit uncomfortable right now just because this is all new to me and I know the possibilities and dangers involved. When I was about 10 years old (28 years ago) some teenagers in my neighborhood were messing around w/ their dad's 22 rifle and it went off and killed the kid who's dad owned the gun. I need to make sure this is never a possibility in my house.

All that said, maybe a better way to explain it is this way. When I wanted to buy the .38 my wife asked me why. The best answer I can give is that I want to go shooting w/ my buddies, and for protection. I think going to target practice w/ my kids would be fun (or even w/ my wife for that matter). And, God forbid, if the bottom ever fell out of our economy or our left wing, crazy gov, at this point I'm left depending on my buddies. That's not to say I'm a conspiracy theorist, but I am a realist.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Thanks for the info and questions.

I grew up w/ a mom that hated guns so we never had any, but I grew up in a rural area and everyone I know had a stockpile of guns. I have been skeet shooting once w/ a 12 gauge, and I've only fired a gun a few times at targets. Both of my brother in laws are hunters and each have a few guns of their own (including some handguns), and many good friends of mine have guns and they all hunt. One of my best friends is very much a gun collector. My uncle owned a gun store.

A few years ago I was looking into getting a gun just for target practice and protection and decided on a .38. Unfortunately my wife wasn't comfortable w/ me having it in the house, or w/ me spending the money on it. She's good now w/ me inheriting the guns from my grandpa, so I think it was more about the money . She is still a bit uncomfortable w/ them in the house, but I think that's a good thing just because she keeps safety first.

As far as shooting them goes, I plan on using the shotgun and the 22 a lot. One of my friends has a very nice shooting area he set up in his yard, while a lot of other friends have land they shoot on (I live in a fairly rural area). I will also shoot the .45, but not much just because of what it is. But I will definitely have rounds for all 3.

So, based on all that the short version is these are my very first guns and, aside from being around my good friends who own guns, I have no real experience w/ owning a firearm.

As far as being familiar w/ them goes, just enough to know how to use one. But this is definitely new to me.

As far as comfortable, I am a bit uncomfortable right now just because this is all new to me and I know the possibilities and dangers involved. When I was about 10 years old (28 years ago) some teenagers in my neighborhood were messing around w/ their dad's 22 rifle and it went off and killed the kid who's dad owned the gun. I need to make sure this is never a possibility in my house.

All that said, maybe a better way to explain it is this way. When I wanted to buy the .38 my wife asked me why. The best answer I can give is that I want to go shooting w/ my buddies, and for protection. I think going to target practice w/ my kids would be fun (or even w/ my wife for that matter). And, God forbid, if the bottom ever fell out of our economy or our left wing, crazy gov, at this point I'm left depending on my buddies. That's not to say I'm a conspiracy theorist, but I am a realist.
So you're pretty new to guns, which is what I figured from the title of your thread. So, take some courses. First you and your wife, together preferably. Get some for your kids too.

You can start finding classes here:
http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Don't be scared of the guns. Respect the weapons. They won't hurt you or anyone else if there isn't a person there to manipulate the weapon. In other words, someone has to pick the weapon up for it to be dangerous.

If the person who picks up the weapon is familiar with it, and practices safe weapons handling, and has a little bit of good training, the weapon is not dangerous.

The danger lies in people handling the weapon who are unfamiliar with it.

Here's some safety rules to always follow and enforce:

1) Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
2) Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you're ready to fire.
3) Keep your weapon on safe until you're ready to fire.
4) Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.

Whenever you pick up the weapon, even if you know for a FACT its unloaded, clear it and make sure its unloaded. When you hand the weapon to someone else, teach them to always do the same.

When you're cleaning the weapons, don't even have ammo anywhere nearby.

Until everyone in the house is familiar with all the weapons intimately and are 100% safe at all times when handling the weapons, do not even store the ammo with the weapon (unless you plan on using it in a home defense role, such as the shotgun or .45. If that's the case, buy a vault and keep it locked up in it).

Again, weapons are not dangerous. People who use weapons inappropriately are dangerous.

There are other safety procedures to follow, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to add to this list.

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 09-19-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #20

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
I have 4 kids and want to get the best handgun case I can find to make sure no one ever plays w/ these when I'm not around. My kids are good kids, but I don't even want to have to think about it.

My first question is, which case would be best for the handguns? The S&W 45 I'll definitely keep. Its a D.A. 45 and it is a military issue (my grandpa used it in the war). The 22 is a High Standard Model "B", this one I might sell just to get a 22 that I like better. Based on that, should I get one case for both guns, or 2 individual cases? And regarding the cases, which are the best ones to get? I did a bit of searching and found one that recognized your fingerprints and I'm leading toward this one. Is this a decent option?

Thanks for any input on this!!
If you plan on using the .45 for home defense then it would make sense to buy a good quality handgun safe. There are several brands that will hold both guns. My preference is ones that use the very reliable and durable push button mechanical locks. Some people have problems with the fingerprint scanners reading their prints and I hear a lot of people complain about battery life on electronic ones in general. I would do some more research on the ones that interest you.

If theft is a concern and you leave your gun in it when you are not home, then buy one that is made a little heavier than the more common 16ga steel that is used on most electronic ones. Be sure to bolt it down to something solid.

Something like this will present your holstered HD gun when opened automatically and have room for your .22 laying in the bottom right side. These are 7ga steel (3/16").

Glenn
FAS1SAFE