New to guns, figured this would be a good place to start.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > New to guns, figured this would be a good place to start.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default New to guns, figured this would be a good place to start.

I inherited 2 handguns and a shotgun (a S&W 45, a 22, and a 12gauge shotgun) from my grandpa. He kept these guns in a wooden case in his basement, but I would like to keep them a bit more out of reach. That said, hopefully I'm posting this in the right spot; I just assumed this was part of gun safety.

I have 4 kids and want to get the best handgun case I can find to make sure no one ever plays w/ these when I'm not around. My kids are good kids, but I don't even want to have to think about it.

My first question is, which case would be best for the handguns? The S&W 45 I'll definitely keep. Its a D.A. 45 and it is a military issue (my grandpa used it in the war). The 22 is a High Standard Model "B", this one I might sell just to get a 22 that I like better. Based on that, should I get one case for both guns, or 2 individual cases? And regarding the cases, which are the best ones to get? I did a bit of searching and found one that recognized your fingerprints and I'm leading toward this one. Is this a decent option?

For the shotgun, I'm not sure what to do. I don't see myself buying a bunch of guns, but who knows. So buying a huge gun safe just seems impractical. But I also don't want to leave the shotgun lying around either. I did consider just hanging it on a wall in my basement and getting a trigger lock. The shotgun isn't anything special to a gun collector, but it is to me because it was my grandpa's gun. Its an old bolt action Sears/Roebuck 12 gauge.

Thanks for any input on this!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 753 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 49

First off welcome to ftf. If it were me I would get a small handgun safe and 2 cable locks for the handguns and remove the bolt from the shotgun and lock it in the box with the pistols and just put it on a shelf that's probably the cheapest way. The handgun safes are good for the most part but a determined individual can get in any of them fairly easily sometimes by just slamming it on an edge on the ground or with a screwdriver and hammer so i suggest putting this out of reach of the kids too and also signing up for a firearms safety course for you and your family so the kids can learn proper safety and its also beneficial to you.

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

mattsk8 Likes This 
Old 09-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the response! I like the idea of the family coarse, but my only concern is my 5 year old son. He loves guns (obviously, he's 5 ) and I'm debating whether or not I should keep these completely hidden from him (not even let him know I have them) or if I should get him involved and teach him all the dos and don'ts. He is a good kid, but I'm not sure how to handle that.

What have you guys in similar situations done? Forge ahead and teach him every aspect of how dangerous a gun can be as well as the positive aspects of guns; or hide them from him until I think he's at an age where he might be able to handle the info better?

I also have an 8 year old daughter, but she probably couldn't care less about guns. I would definitely take my 2 older kids as well as my wife (14 year old son and 12 year old daughter, I have 4 kids) to a safety coarse.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsk8 View Post
Thanks for the response! I like the idea of the family coarse, but my only concern is my 5 year old son. He loves guns (obviously, he's 5 ) and I'm debating whether or not I should keep these completely hidden from him (not even let him know I have them) or if I should get him involved and teach him all the dos and don'ts. He is a good kid, but I'm not sure how to handle that.

What have you guys in similar situations done? Forge ahead and teach him every aspect of how dangerous a gun can be as well as the positive aspects of guns; or hide them from him until I think he's at an age where he might be able to handle the info better?

I also have an 8 year old daughter, but she probably couldn't care less about guns. I would definitely take my 2 older kids as well as my wife (14 year old son and 12 year old daughter, I have 4 kids) to a safety coarse.
to me it seems it would be better they learn from you out a safety course than learn from who knows where when they get a Lil older

Old 09-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #5

Liked 1116 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Ignorance of guns is dangerous. Your kids are old enough to learn gun safety, and IMO the earlier the lessons the better it sticks. You might want to take a course first as a refresher.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Ignorance of guns is dangerous. Your kids are old enough to learn gun safety, and IMO the earlier the lessons the better it sticks. You might want to take a course first as a refresher.
Ding ding ding ding! Give that man a cigar... oh, he's already got one.

If your other kids know about the guns, the youngest will hear about them eventually, and that's asking for exactly the wrong kind of curiosity. Teach them all gun safety, the rules are few but critical. And for young ones, the "never touch a gun when they aren't being supervised by you" is the number one rule.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:55 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8708 Times on 3768 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

Teach your kids- you really think you can hide ANYTHING where they will not find it? HAH !

Now, not to be a wet blanket, but there was a safety recall on some of the Sears bolt action shotguns. I assume yours is marked J.C. Higgins, and has a 583 dot something model number. If you can give me the model number, I can let you know if yours is one of the recalled.

The High Standards were EXCELLENT pistols- would not trade that one for anything.

And the pistol vault (not case)- yes, there are print readers (rather pricey) and ones that use a push button combo (less $$$). Be sure that you put it somewhere that you can bolt it to something solid. Otherwise the whole thing walks off.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 09-19-2013, 03:43 AM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2092 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 755

Training is the first thing I recommend. Check out this site to find training courses near you.

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

As for your youngest, there is no age that is the "right" age. My younger sister's kids, I wouldn't have had a problem shooting with them at 7 or 8. My older sister's kids, I'm still leery of them at 17.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 09-19-2013, 04:03 AM   #9

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts

You can get a small safe pretty cheap that would fit on the floor of your closet for example, for the handguns. As for the shotgun depends on the model but lookup the "gun vault breech lock" it's a lot more secure than a cable lock and a lot more difficult to defeat, it fits most shotgun models. Beyond that you can get a long gun hard case at any dicks or bass pro shops - a 2 gun long gun case will easily fit the shotgun and pistols and should have a way to put a basic master lock on it.

Also local PD/LE will usually give you a basic cable lock for free.

As others have said education is never a bad idea

Old 09-19-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
This is the best advice than can be given to you.

My grandpa taught me about g s when I was around five. Consequently I have always been perfectly safe around them. Teach them about it completely (don't leave anything out) and it will take the curiosity out of it, and thus the danger.

Take them to a field or an outdoor range and show them the destructive power of guns by shooting a watermelon. Then tell them that guns are not for hurting people, but for saving lives. Teach them that, let them get hands-on experience (holding, shooting when they've proven they can be safe handling an n loaded firearm, eventually cleaning), and you will be fine.

The reason for a gun safe / vault is less for keeping it away from kids (especially kids who are old enough to understand - every single one of yours is old enough, btw), and more about making it slightly less difficult for a bad guy to steal it. This hinges on proper firearm instruction and safety taught to the kids.

Don't even CONSIDER hiding the guns. It will cause definite problems. I can promise you that.

Always have clean socks.