New gun or carry permit?? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

New gun or carry permit??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I to have agree with getting a concealed carry permit. If you have a weapon and feel threatened you are going to expose yourself to some sticky situations that might prevent you from getting a permit in the future or even owning a weapon. Get a permit, be legal! Even if you successfully defend yourself and lose none of your rights you will have spent far more than $200.

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-19-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #12

Liked 296 Times on 198 Posts

Thanks for the valid points. If the craziness continues (mass buying along with lower availability and price hikes) it will be an easy decision to go with the CCW. I refuse to pay overinflated prices for ANY gun. I'm more of an "economica" shooter with an SKS as one of my main goto guns. Before anyone says "cheap".....im married with 3 kids(who like to burn through ammo) and do the best i can with what $ i can scrape up. Can't justify $8-900 on a pretty black gun at this point

Old 12-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
I have a 9mm that i can carry. Just torn between becoming legal or more toys/goodies. Also thinking about future legislation on both issues

my 2 cents:

The only time a CCW holder should be torn on being legal is when confronted with "gun free" zones. If you're carrying, get the permit.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 129 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 418

By all means get the permit, like the saying goes "better to have and not need than to need and not have".

Old 12-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2649 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 14619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy9mm View Post
By all means get the permit, like the saying goes "better to have and not need than to need and not have".
QFT. I live in NY (no, not the city) and here we have no option. We have to have a pistol permit to get a handgun. At every Permit class I have ever attended, ( I am considering becoming an instructor, and I am comparing the teaching styles of others.) the instructor tells the students to go for the CCW permit. That way they are covered, and they can have their pistol on them. Not at home in the safe, where it will do them no good when it is needed. You are lucky enough to live where you can purchase a handgun with nothing more than a form 4473. Get thw CCW, and be ready to defend yourself and those you care about. It will be money well spent.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #16

Liked 2179 Times on 1195 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

I would get the permit. Get caught carrying without one, and you may not be able to get one.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #17

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
I would get the permit. Get caught carrying without one, and you may not be able to get one.
^^^^^ this,,,
Just not worth the risk,
Ccw = carry when you want
( barring prohibited buildings )

No ccw = your azz is now a felon.
Court fines and fees, unable to ever get your ccw.

Choice seems pretty clear to me.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #18

Liked 296 Times on 198 Posts

Wednesday i plan on looking into which local CCW instructor to choose. There is a LGS instructor right up the road but they kind of dropped the ball on a couple occasions when I went looking for a holster. Never got back to me about an order and when told to bring my gun in to fit, the woman behind the counter seemed nervous around the pistol....weird