New CCW Instructor...help and pointers.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > New CCW Instructor...help and pointers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 03:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New CCW Instructor...help and pointers.

I need some help finding a score card I can download for a pistol qualification course. I recently got my Instructor certification to teach the CCW license for my state and I am required to maintain records for each person for 5 years. The state is very vague as to what they require in the records, so I want to be very thorough in my recording.

I am looking for a score card that has a space for name, date, distance from target, score. Type of weapon is not needed.

I am looking for this on the target they shoot. Problem is I am debating on if I should keep that info on their target or separate score card. Some folks may want to keep their target, especially the ones that never shot before.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated, any leads to a target or score card combo that can be DLed and printed on a regular piece of paper would be great.

That said, This is my first time running classes for civilians. Any tips, pointers do/do nots/ **** you should have, etc is MOST APPRECIATED.

I have a private range, I have set my shop up for a classroom environment and compiled a training plan and SOP. I am NRA certified for pistol and range safety plus all my Army crap. Handouts printed with applicable rules/regs and info. Paper work is completed online (with or without me) and I do the finger printing (Years of experience and training in that). But I want to make sure I have everything I need. Materials wise I am good for training, minus the score cards or anything anyone can think of.

Training is conducted 1 on 1 with me, strictly for shooter control reasons. I will do more depending on level of experience. From a safety aspect I prefer 1 on 1.

Anyway, any info you guys can toss my way would be great. Anyone in AR that is an Instructor I would appreciate it if you could tell me what you do. Thanks guys!

P.S. If your in the Central AR region and need the training, PM me. We can work out some cheaper training

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9561 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

How big is your target? If you are using FBI Q target. or modified Q target, those suckers are BIG when you start trying to archive your records. A scorecard would be simply to store, or to scan and store electronically.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:47 AM   #3

Target is a simple 8 inch, slow fire, ring target. Purpose of the class isn't to conduct CQB type fire, only to show basic proficiency with a firearm and understand applicable laws.

I know, it's gay, pointless and I wish they would get rid of the training requirement. I personally thing having to take a class is no different than having to take a literacy test to vote.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

Think back to your Army days.
How did they keep track of your shooting scores when you made Marksman? The AF used a 4X8 card preprinted that was kept in your records.

Plus, if you look at the NRA certificate, there is plenty of room to include the score (if needed to get the CCW).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #5

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

We use the standard 25 Yd. NRA slow fire target for our records. We record the date etc on the target and have the student sign it. This is the procedure that we were advised to use by our states AG office.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #6

So I sent a email to the state police asking what exactly the requirements are for live fire and what info is to be recorded. Their response.

"The only requirement for live fire is to make a bullet come out the end of the gun. There are no number of rounds or distance etc. They will carry nearer to your family than mine, so whatever you are comfortable with. Yes I would keep information about how well they live fired."

I swear this licensing scheme is nothing more than a back door tax.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Mr. Grunt sir, could you even teach me how to shoot???

Old 04-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #8

You? No, that is a hopeless cause. I have a better chance of getting Matt to hit the side of a barn...from inside the barn.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #9

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Why not use 2 targets one on top of the other? Customer can keep one, you can keep one. Simple solution for the win!

BTW, Matt shoots pretty good now...

Old 04-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Why not use 2 targets one on top of the other? Customer can keep one, you can keep one. Simple solution for the win!

BTW, Matt shoots pretty good now...
Great idea. You sir, do not stop amazing me.