New Baby and Guns - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > New Baby and Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8282 Times on 4787 Posts
Likes Given: 10713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
You simply can not expect a child to not go looking for your gun...and once they find it, if unsupervised, they WILL pull the trigger.
Absolutely true. (if the child is not trained not to that is) Pulling a trigger is absolutely a natural thing to do. That's why they make them that way.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

As I plan to move soon and can not afford (nor do I wish add something else to move) a large gun vault, I have chosen one of the number pad pistol lock boxes that stays under the night stand, the HD shotgun is high up in a closet and all of my long guns which have to be stored in another closet due to limited space have the bolts removed and kept locked away.

It's not without flaws but it satisfies me and my wife with what we have to work with right now.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #13
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 8166

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Exactly this. It only takes a couple seconds and a quick child for an accident to happen. I have a 6 year old granddaughter that I have taught gun safety to. She knows to not touch a gun she finds, she knows to tell an adult if she comes across an unattended gun. When I show her my guns I stress how I check it's empty and I tell her she needs to check if it's empty (she's not always strong enough but I help her check it while it's in her possession). She knows to never point a gun at anyone.

But.............I still keep them locked up if they are not on me. I would never take any chance at all with her life. Not even a 1:1,000,00 chance.

You know that saying, "Better safe than sorry"? Yeah......that.
You took the words right out of my mouth Winds.

To the OP. My step-daughter is now 15, and very active in the shooting sports. Part of the reason why is that she was raised not to be afraid of guns, and was raised in a house which has 2 standing rules regarding firearms safety.

Rule 1. Treat EVERY gun as if it were loaded. Even if you just cleared the weapon, treat it as you would a loaded gun. One "Oh Sh!T" erases 1,000 "At a boys".

Rule 2. If the weapon is not on you, and under your control, secure it so that others will not be able to misuse it. No excuses, no exceptions.

My mother and father were taught these rules, in adition to the standard 10 used by the NRA, they were passed on to me, and I have passed them on to my wife and her daughter. While she was growing up, I kept my firearms unloaded, locked up in the gunsafe which is bolted to the wall and the floor. If I am not carrying or in a situation where I can control my gun, it is locked up. Get a good safe and keep your guns in it when you are not using them. The safe recomende by WOC would be a good choice for nighttime storage, and easy acces to it if it is needed. When your son is old enough, teach him proper safety. However, don't get lax about gun safety at that point because your son knows safe handling skills. A hard lesson was given to a classmates parents during my senior year of HS. Five days before Christmas, he was accidentally shot by one of our classmates who was not raised around guns, and therefore did not know how to clear and handle the pistol he found in a dresser drawer. We buried Frank on Christmas Eve, and Scott has to live with what happened for the rest of his life. Form safe habits now, and your son will learn them by example, it worked with my step-daughter. Still, I don't chance it when it comes to her friends. Just ain't worth the risk.

In the vehicle, carry on your self, or have a safe installed in your truck for when you are not at a place where you can carry. When you get in, put your 1911 in the armrest. When you get out , carry it on you, or put it into the lockbox, depending on your situation at the time. It is comforting to know that you care enough for your son to ask for help when it comes to his safety. Best of luck, and I hope this helps.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 10-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #14

Liked 53 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes all of your posts have been extremely helpful, thank y'all. Do you have any recommendations on gun safes for the inside of my F-150?

Old 10-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #15

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I have a small electronic lock box and an electronic gun safe. I have one gun I put high up but my little girl isn't so little any more and I assume she can reach it. It is an H&K P7 and she isn't close to being able to squeeze the grip hard enough to cock it.
Plus, since she was old enough to talk I have drilled her with gun safety. If she sees a gun, she will and has immediately told me so that it can be put safely away. I also remind her to never tell ANYONE I own or carry a gun and why.
Even so, a third electronic box is on my to do list.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #16

Liked 53 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Can you post up a link to what kind of box you have? And do you carry one in your vehicle that isn't on you?

Old 10-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7122 Times on 4288 Posts
Likes Given: 8653

This is what I have next to my bed. It's currently holding three handguns.......one with a scope. It's stuffed full for now. Any more guns and I'll need a new safe.

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/5700348403772993785?q=gun%20vault&hl=en&prmd=imvns &sqi=2&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=63c75cd4744a cbb2&bpcl=35277026&biw=1280&bih=723&tch=1&ech=1&ps i=bKh5UIG9JIipqwH79oGoBA.1350150254500.3&sa=X&ei=c 6h5UJs5ydPIAaPtgPAK&ved=0CG0Q8wIwBA

I don't have any safe in my car.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8282 Times on 4787 Posts
Likes Given: 10713

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
I have a small electronic lock box and an electronic gun safe. I have one gun I put high up but my little girl isn't so little any more and I assume she can reach it. It is an H&K P7 and she isn't close to being able to squeeze the grip hard enough to cock it.
Plus, since she was old enough to talk I have drilled her with gun safety. If she sees a gun, she will and has immediately told me so that it can be put safely away. I also remind her to never tell ANYONE I own or carry a gun and why.
Even so, a third electronic box is on my to do list.
I would never ever have a gun "put up high" to keep it away from a kid, not even a kid that has been drilled in gun safety, nor one that I "think" is not strong enough to cock it and pull the trigger. Just as an example, I don't know about you but as for me, when I was a kid? You better damned well believe I could find those Christmas presents on the top shelf in the back of the closet. Or the cookies/chocolates hidden behind the "good china" in the cabinet I was forbidden from opening.

Also, this is a good video that I recommend all of you watch. I have tried to open my bedside handgun vault http://www.deansafe.com/gun-gv-1000d.html using all of the techniques the kid in the video used and was not able to open it without entering the combination. The barrel lock might be able to be breached with a Bic pen, but I have not been able to.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #19

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Watch a few of the videos on this page and look for the one you are interested in. You might be surprised.

http://www.thesidebar.org/insecurity/?p=793

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 10-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #20

Hi I am from the uk so the condition here are very strict on firearms I have a 6/9/10 yr old children and I have my guns locked up 24hrs a day every day while I am cleaning my rifles and shotguns I will taught the children how all the safety and rules about handing firearms and what danger they can do when in the wrong hands my son aged 10 is a fine clay breaker and a fine rifle shooter at the range and every time he knows how to make the gun clear and safe it's drilled into him but for younger children I just don't get the guns out until they are in bed