New Baby and Guns

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > New Baby and Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 53 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default New Baby and Guns

I have an 8 month old little boy who is crawling around right now and will soon be walking. I have a few guns in the house and in my truck. I have been around guns my whole life growing up on a ranch so I have good gun safety habits. I just want to hear others solutions...
I normally carry my Sig p938 on me all day and when I get home I just place it in my nightstand. My wife keeps her Ruger LCR 38 Special in her nightstand at all times right now. Then I also keep my Kimber 1911 in the arm rest of my truck too. And of course I have my Colt AR in a case in my closet and also a broken down shotgun in a case too...
What safety procedures should I now set in place in my home and vehicle to insure that my son will be out of harms way with my weapons?

Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2012, 02:24 AM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I keep them all locked up except for the one I have on me. My wife keeps her bodyguard up and out of the reach of my 6 year old on the entertainment center but she never leaves the kid alone when it's there.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:28 AM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7022 Times on 4225 Posts
Likes Given: 8461

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
I keep them all locked up except for the one I have on me. My wife keeps her bodyguard up and out of the reach of my 6 year old on the entertainment center but she never leaves the kid alone when it's there.
Exactly this. It only takes a couple seconds and a quick child for an accident to happen. I have a 6 year old granddaughter that I have taught gun safety to. She knows to not touch a gun she finds, she knows to tell an adult if she comes across an unattended gun. When I show her my guns I stress how I check it's empty and I tell her she needs to check if it's empty (she's not always strong enough but I help her check it while it's in her possession). She knows to never point a gun at anyone.

But.............I still keep them locked up if they are not on me. I would never take any chance at all with her life. Not even a 1:1,000,00 chance.

You know that saying, "Better safe than sorry"? Yeah......that.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 10-13-2012, 02:28 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a 3, 5,11,14 year old I keep all weapons unloaded in storage locker in room with ammo and All other gun stuff. I keep my Xd on me. Kids will get into everything.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:43 AM   #5

Liked 53 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yea I am thinking about getting the small safes that have the four key code access and the flip down door. Do you think that is enough security? Those four key codes seem like they might be easy to figure out. Do any of you use those kind of safes?

Old 10-13-2012, 04:30 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have a 14y/o, 14 months old and a 1 month old girls. All guns in a safe except the one on me since the middle one started walking. When at home, before bedtime i have made the habbit of pocket-carry, either a sub compact 9mm or a "snubbie". At bedtime i go to the safe and switch to someting bigger for the nightstand (without one in the pipe). In the morning switch again and that is my system. I know is not without any flaws but i sleep better and i know excactly how you feel because i was there 6 months ago and i hope it helps you develop your own!

Old 10-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #7
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7022 Times on 4225 Posts
Likes Given: 8461

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarter788 View Post
Yea I am thinking about getting the small safes that have the four key code access and the flip down door. Do you think that is enough security? Those four key codes seem like they might be easy to figure out. Do any of you use those kind of safes?
That is exactly the kind of safe I have at my bedside. Mine is a Gun Vault. Even though it only has 4 keys, my safe opens with a pattern of six 'presses'. The combination is endless. The chances of anyone being able to figure out your code would be very, very slim. The door on mine also has a spring that shoots the door open after the combination is pressed. I believe the safe to be very safe in keeping anyone from getting at your guns. My safe is tethered to the wooden frame of my waterbed with a cable so no one can walk off with it though I must admit if someone broke into my home and had something to cut the cable, he'd be able to take my gun safe. It can also be wall mounted which would make walking off with it very difficult.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 10-13-2012 at 05:27 AM.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:44 AM   #8

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

Keeping them(or definitely any ammo) out of harms way is probably your best bet for now. However, as soon as he is old enough, tell him and show him everything there is to know about the guns. My sons are now 10 and 16 and i have had them shooting for years. I feel safest knowing they respect and know the capabilities of the guns. They know the rules and that it's %100 seriouness. Also,it's good to know that they would be able to operate the guns if a bad situation ever did arise.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #9

Liked 4716 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 1443

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarter788 View Post
Yep, mine is mounted to my bedframe and holds a Sig 226 .40

I also have a 2nd lock box in the top of my closet for securing my EDC when it comes off my hip.

Everything else is in the big gun safe.

Gun safety with children starts with understanding that there little brains do not yet work like ours do. You simply can not expect a child to not go looking for your gun...and once they find it, if unsupervised, they WILL pull the trigger.

Training them young is good but a policy of 100% retention is the ONLY way to keep your kids safe from your guns.

The push button "pharmacy lock" lock boxes work great. Mine has been flawless for 15 years and survived 2 moves.

I recommend you get one for every handgun you keep loaded and ready as well as a larger safe for anything else that goes boom.

Happy Shopping and keep that little one safe.

Tack
Old 10-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8134 Times on 4695 Posts
Likes Given: 10492

I have a 15 year old and a soon-to-be 17 year old sons. All guns were locked in a safe at all times except for the SD pistol which was loaded in my Gun Vault on the headboard to the bed or on me. From as soon as they were self-aware 9meaning very, very young) they were trained with the Eddie Eagle gun safety rules for young kids. I would drill them periodically by placing an unloaded gun somewhere where they could eventually find it and observing them without them knowing it. They never failed to do the right thing.

Once they started handling "toy" guns we trained them to treat them exactly like real ones. Never point it at anybody, keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, check to make sure its not "loaded", etc, etc.. (the only exception was for water pistols- but they had those that did not look like a real gun)

Once they were mature enough that mom and I both thought they were ready, I printed out the NRA Gun Safety Rules and said that once they had them fully memorized we would start hands-on with the guns. That took a couple of days. The first thing I told them when they started handling real guns was that any violation of the safety rules would result in losing all gun privileges for an appropriate period of time, a serious violation would result in no guns at all until they were 18 years old and out of the house.

Now that they are teenagers they have never had a safety violation nor a negligent discharge. They are extremely proficient with all types of firearms and those they are not familiar with they have absolutely no problem asking to be shown how to handle them.

Giving them all of the exposure that they desire to firearms demystifies them and in my opinion that is the greatest safety measure a parent could incorporate in raising their child. Where there is mystery there is curiosity, where there is curiosity in firearms, accidents happen.