Negligent Discharge. This is not a rare occurrence. - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Negligent Discharge. This is not a rare occurrence.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I feel any negligent discharge is operator error. If it goes off while you're looking at it sitting on the kitchen table, that would be an accidental discharge.
I've gotten passionate lately about following the commandments of firearms safety
Rule One-
All guns are always loaded.
Rule Two -
Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
Rule Three -
Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target.
Rule Four -
Be sure of your target. Know what it is, what is in line with it, and what is behind it. Never shoot anything you have not positively identified.

Train with it and let it become ingrained, and then even in a high stress situation you won't forget. Become complacent and bad habits will take over, usually at the worst possible time.
Follow these rules all the time and you will be safe and free of unwanted holes, unless poltergeist take control over your firearm

Been at a few gunshops in the last couple of weeks, and the lack of trigger discipline and being muzzle swept constantly is quite disconcerting. I DON'T CARE if you cleared the weapon in front of me before pointing it at my chest, you still violated rule number two!
Then the shop workers look at me like I'm crazy when I jump out of the way, and I'm really effed up when I tell them why!

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 09-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #42

A safety has no place in a gunfight.

Last edited by Straight_Shooter; 09-13-2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: personal

Old 09-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #43

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
Both have valid points.

I agree with spittinfire 100% though.
so when yousmash your hand w a hammer its the hammers fault then right

rule number 1 keep your finger out ot the trigger guard until ur ready to shoot they probly just wanted time off work

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 09-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #44

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
so when yousmash your hand w a hammer its the hammers fault then right
Your analogy is way off and no matter what I say, you will not hear or understand anyway so no need explaining.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
To me the point of a physical safety is not to prevent the intentional pull of the trigger, it's to prevent the accidental pull of the trigger. So while you say your finger is your safety, I say that's only a single stage safety on the operator. The gun in question has a reliable mechanical safety (mechanical safety in that, the gun will not fire unless the trigger is pulled) but the operator must have a safety as well. Unintentional movements happen, relying solely on training to prevent those movements is unsafe IMO, training and a proper physical safety on the equipment is a better choice IMO.

I leave my Glock without a round in the chamber. Yes it will take me a second longer to get the first shot off, but I guarantee I will not accidentally fire my Glock. I leave my 1911 chambered but with the safety on, switching the safety off is quicker than chambering a round in the Glock but still a step that delays that first shot, but IMO that extra step is worth the delay for the added safety.

These are firearms stored in my home not carry weapons which might require different conditions of carry.
I was quoting the Delta guy on Blackhawk down....... Sorry some missed the joke! I don't muzzle myself or my partners. Period. Safety on, off, internal or external. If that's not reciprocated, there is an issue! I have no problem with people shooting guns with no external safeties, nor any problems with people shooting guns with ten external safeties. As long as they are operating it in a safe manner, or are receiving proper instruction on how to do so.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPD5946TSW View Post
I was quoting the Delta guy on Blackhawk down....... Sorry some missed the joke! I don't muzzle myself or my partners. Period. Safety on, off, internal or external. If that's not reciprocated, there is an issue! I have no problem with people shooting guns with no external safeties, nor any problems with people shooting guns with ten external safeties. As long as they are operating it in a safe manner, or are receiving proper instruction on how to do so.
And by partners, I mean Copious ammounts of Women......

Old 09-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #47

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPD5946TSW View Post
Yeah I missed it but get it now.

But there are a lot of people who do feel that way so I still say my post is valid, just not for you

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #48

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Is the officer at fault? Sure he is but the weapon of choice in this case didn't do him any favors. Engage a manual safety and the likelihood of that happening are slim to none.
All firearms only have one safety worth talking about....your finger, keep it away till your ready to fire and it will never be an issue, mechanical safety or not.

Glaine ár gcroí, neart ár ngéag agus beart de réir ár mbriathar - ARW
(The cleanliness of our hearts, the strength of our limbs and our commitment to our promise)