Negligent Discharge - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Negligent Discharge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I can say I've had 3 . 1st was a jennings 22 , I had when I was 15. A round didn't chamber all the way so I slammed the slide foreword with my palm. That was pure stupidity on my part, I'll never do that again. 2nd was a single shot 20ga,no external hammer or safety. I was gonna shoot a loud pesky crow in the back yard, I put a shell in the chamber, snapped it shut and BOOM no more sliding glass door. My parents did not believe me till my step dad did the same thing in the garage. Blew a big hole in the wall, I came home and saw the shot pattern and isaid 20ga? Yep! That gun went by by real quick. 3rd was with my wife, 9 mos later our son was born

Old 12-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I have to confess, too. 'Way back in 1988 I had just cleaned a Charter Arms Bulldog, and went to my bedroom, where I sprawled out on my bed and did some dry-firing. I always aimed at a corner of the room, where the ceiling and 2 walls converged. After I did a little dry-firing, I loaded the gun and laid it beside me in the bed, where I kept it when I was in bed. A few minutes later, for what dumbass reason, I know not, I reverted back to dry-firing mode. I aimed at my "corner-of-the-room" dry-firing target, and "dry-fired" a .44 special Glaser Safety Slug into the corner, right on target. My ears were ringing. and my 2 young sons came out of their bedrooms screaming and crying. They thought I'd shot myself. (I don't know if they were crying because they thought I'd shot myself or if they were crying because I hadn't ). I was lucky the lumber had stopped the Glaser, and that it hadn't been some kinda hard ball that could have gone thru the wall. I was also glad my wife wasn't home at the time, or my ears would still be ringing.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #33

Liked 37 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
I have to confess, too. 'Way back in 1988 I had just cleaned a Charter Arms Bulldog, and went to my bedroom, where I sprawled out on my bed and did some dry-firing. I always aimed at a corner of the room, where the ceiling and 2 walls converged. After I did a little dry-firing, I loaded the gun and laid it beside me in the bed, where I kept it when I was in bed. A few minutes later, for what dumbass reason, I know not, I reverted back to dry-firing mode. I aimed at my "corner-of-the-room" dry-firing target, and "dry-fired" a .44 special Glaser Safety Slug into the corner, right on target. My ears were ringing. and my 2 young sons came out of their bedrooms screaming and crying. They thought I'd shot myself. (I don't know if they were crying because they thought I'd shot myself or if they were crying because I hadn't ). I was lucky the lumber had stopped the Glaser, and that it hadn't been some kinda hard ball that could have gone thru the wall. I was also glad my wife wasn't home at the time, or my ears would still be ringing.
Yeah, another confession, you all know what I've done. And your responses have made for a really good and sobering thread. My wife, on the other hand, has absolutely no clue what happened. Nor will she ever if I know what's good for me.

I have no idea how that hole got there.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #34

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I had an indecent when I was about 16 or so. I had bought a 12 gauge from yard sale an old single shot 12 gauge external hammer first time I went to shoot it the hammer got stuck trigger wouldnt do anything and then the thing would open. So I went to my uncles garage to spray some WD40 on it see if that would help at all. Didn't had it out side pointed out into the woods my uncle yelled something I went to turn and then boom blew a hole right through his metal door he had sitting up by the garage. True story he thought I did it on purpose and but then I showed him what happened. I ended up taking out the firing pin and giving it to him for a wall hanger to repay for the door.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

People Like This 
Old 12-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2075 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

Like I said, this just proves we are human.
Guns have been a 'tool' in my life since I was 5 or 6 years old and they still are. All 'power tools' are dangerous and must be used/handled with the up most respect.
I too can look back and laugh at my 'mishaps' and many of others because none, thank GOD, involved injury or death.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My daddy had a negligent discharge, and that's how I came to be born in a "home for unwed mothers". Grew up in a foster home. So I was born a bastard, and have been one all my life.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #37
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my personal opinions on ND/AD is this. they will happen. they can happen if you handle firearms long enough. i believe them to be a part of guns and IMO, don't think there is anything that will prevent them 100%.

simple fact is, we are human, we will make mistakes and we can't change the fact that we do get complacent, we have brain farts, we make mistakes and we have lapses of judgement. these are just facts of life, and we can't change it, but we can reduce them and we can learn from our mistakes and we can show others through our humility of being human and making mistakes that it can and will happen and we need to use these mistakes as teaching lessons.

those new to guns can make mistakes because they haven't been taught properly and just may not know any better. those who have been around firearms for a longer period of time can become complacent and not as vigilant as we should be.

for the record i too have had a couple of ND as well and thankfully no one was hurt by my stupity and that they taught me that i need to be more attentive with myself when handling firearms.

if anyone, and i mean anyone disputes or finds fault in what i have written, please say so so we can discuss it. because if there is fault in what i have said, discussion could mean the helping others out. and if my reasoning is wrong and we can prevent one person from getting hurt then i feel my ego can accept that and look forward to others opinions as well. after all, an old dog can learn new lessons if his mind allows him to!

Last edited by Axxe55; 12-29-2012 at 08:33 PM.
People Like This 
Old 12-31-2012, 06:16 AM   #38

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I agree accidents happen it's part of being human just is theres no drug or therapy that can change that. As one man once said our flaws are what make us human, a smart man learns from his mistakes a stupid one doesn't.

Guns have been apart of my life since I was young enough to read, I have had a couple of accidents no one was hurt thank god but it happens. That being said I think we all should remember the basic safetys of firearms so that way when it happens no one will get hurt except our egos. Just because your a firearms expert and have been dealing with guns since you were in the womb doesn't mean you don't and or won't have accidents like I said it's all about being human.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #39

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Negligent Discharge? I see alot of that in my business.

pros-lamp.png  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Negligent Discharge? I see alot of that in my business.
ND's can be tolerated once or twice in a lifetime as long as the primary safety rule is being followed - never point the gun at anything you would not want to shoot, or in some cases never point the gun at something you would like to shoot, like your mother-in-law.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 12-31-2012 at 01:04 PM.
People Like This